1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A few questions on improving my MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Mare1083, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Mare1083

Mare1083 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been doing a lot of reading and I've watched the GreenPowerVideo on maximizing MPG.

But I still have a few questions.

I bought my 2010 Prius used with 43K. One of the chart screens shows a "BEST" mileage of 44.5. I've gotten my cons. meter to show upwards of 49-50 after using some of the techniques on the MPG video.

However, should I wipe out those all mileage screens and start over? Based on the charts, I don't think the previous owner was very conscious of getting good mpg.

Also, I've heard that the Prius builds a memory to the driver and disconnecting the 12V resets that memory. Should I do this? What else will be wiped out if the 12V is disconnected...radio presets? Bluetooth contacts?

Lastly, I've tried to stay within the "eco" bar on the HSI screen and I also keep the car in "eco mode." But I feel like it takes eons to get up to speed by slowly accelerating. If accelerate more, then I always seem to end up in the "pwr bar." Is this normal? Have I just not gotten the technique down yet? I've noticed the slow acceleration seems sometimes seems to decrease my cons. number.

Thanks and sorry if these questions have been answered else where. I've tried using the search feature with various terms and search words and it keeps coming up empty.

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would reset everything so i knew it was me that got those numbers, including the best avg mpg.

I don't think unhooking the 12volt will help with mpg. You may also loose things like windows auto function and other stuff. I flow with traffic and almost always get half way to a full power bar when taking off.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also don't "try" so hard. You shoot yourself in the foot by accllerating slowly, don't worry about the power bar. I've gotten my best mpg's when I'm in heavy traffic on the highway and your stuck in a pack of cars going like hell one minute then slowing down and speeding up. It seems in those cases when you just consintrating (sorry can't spell) on driving and not concerned with driving for economy the best mpg numbers show up and you say...How'd that happen

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would certainly reset the numbers.
    Also, I agree with paprius in that between now and Spring just drive it. Seriously. Like anything else, you have to first get comfortable with it. Besides, Winter has been late to come to Illinois but it'll hit soon and when it does our mileage is going to tank. And hard. This is no time to worry about mileage because it's going to stink really bad until everything thaws.

So: I would reset the numbers and not worry too much about mileage until, say, May.

5. Mare1083

Mare1083 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL @ Tony. I'm totally addicted to that little cons. meter now that I've seen I can get it over 50. It was cold tonight and we had to make a short trip to the store. It was at 53.2 yesterday and it went to 43 while driving the car in the cold and I didn't let it warm up in the driveway either. I wanted to cry. This is going to be a rough winter! :D

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll reset all the meters and see what I can do.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    After 14 months of ownership of a 2010, I went through some "newbie" phases that I've come to recognize is somewhat of a pattern here on PC.

First is the amazed/excited/happy phase to see the big FE numbers you've never encountered before.

Next is the confused stage trying to figure how it all works.

Then comes the research/education phase when you learn the tricks.

This leads to the implementation phase (where the OP is now) of said techniques.

The next phase is dependent on the individual: either you hit the big numbers and are contented or you become frustrated either because of the application of said techniques is too difficult (tons of threads on this) or you don't hit the big numbers you've seen others post.

The next phase is where I am now: turn off the CONS screens and just drive the damn car. :)

I've found I'm only getting 4-5 less mpg's than what I did trying to P&G, stealth, driving sloooooow, etc. Obviously I sucked employing those since I could only achieved the EPA numbers at best. But I also know there are things out of my control: traffic patterns, terrain, temperatures, wind, etc. My driving experience is much less stressful now. :cheer2: The "chasing big numbers" game was fun, educational, and fascinating...... for a while.

1 person likes this.
  7. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a very interesting thread as I'm fairly new(brand new to the forum but several month of prius ownership) & enjoy driving the prius very much & especially, although I have much to learn to maximizing fuel. It's all a game in itself & a challenge to outdo my self in order to beat my last or best tank of gas:).

8. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

1) Keep the Prius on the HSI display. Don't worry about the previous owner. Focus on the traffic and the road ahead.

2) Don't disconnect the 12v battery. The Prius onboard computer and black box has Flash memory which will be unaffected if you disconnect the 12vdc battery. However, disconnecting the 12VDC battery will likely reset the radio presets and bluetooth memory.

3) If you want to accelerate faster toggle off "eco" mode and drive the Prius in "normal" mode. You'll get better throttle response in "normal" mode but the "eco" bar label will light up telling you when you are driving efficiently. The most fuel efficient way to accelerate on a Prius is press the accelerator pass the mid way marker on the HSI "eco" bar when while the Prius is going downhill. The least fuel efficient way to gain speed on a Prius is to accelerate while the Prius is going uphill. The *pwr* bar means you are using over 1.9 gallons of gas per hour. The mid point of the HSI "eco" bar means the Prius is using approximately 1.0 gallons of gas per hour.

The cons. MPG meter is based on the consecutive miles for either Trip A or Trip B. When you zeroed out the A or B Trip Odeometer, the Prius will record the cons. MPG and display the last five cons. MPG for that trip odeometer. "Best" mileage can be manipulated to getting a very high MPG by zeroing out the Trip Odeometer after the Prius has warmed upd and then driving it for a short time while it is in its most fuel efficient state, e.g. "glide" cycle or "ev" mode, AND then resetting the Odeometer again to zero to record the cons MPG.

The easiest driving rule to get the best MPG on a Prius is to avoid driving over 40 mph - this however maynot possible of many.

The next easiest driving rule to get the best MPG on the Prius is to give yourself 20% more travel time each time you drive - you'll find your MPG naturally improves when you are not in a rush to get to your destination. Things like coasting to rather than racing to a red traffic light( only to stop) then starts to make sense.

hope this helps

Walter Lee
    Cleanmpg.com "Hyper Drive 1"
    2010 Toyota Prius III, Blue Ribbon/Dark Grey
    Yokohama Avid S33D (50/48)
    ScangaugeII
    100% grill blocking
    18750 miles, overall 60 mpg
    last tank 58 mpg

9. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle: