1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A few serious complaints about the poor navigation/entune interface

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rondocap, Sep 29, 2012.

?
  1. Bluetooth call interrupting important GPS directions

50.0%
  2. Phone disconnecting from bluetooth

66.7%
  3. Map freezing

33.3%
  4. Overall poor interface, i.e adjusting volume

83.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rondocap

rondocap Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Like many of you, I drive a considerable amount - and practically run my business from my car. That means I am a heavy user of both the navigation and bluetooth phone.

I have a 2012 Toyota Prius plugin - with the standard entune navigation unit. I find this seriously lacking in a few crucial areas, which have lead to very frustrating moments.

For comparison's sake, I also have a BMW 335i - with the iDrive navigation. It is such a world away in terms of user interface and ease of use that it does not even merit comparison.

Here are my quarrels:

1.) Bluetooth call while trying to get directions

This is the absolute worst - here's an example. I'll be using the navigation to head to a client's house that I have never been before, and at the same time I need make various phone calls.

So what happens? I need important directions on where to turn, but when I try to make a call, the screen immediately leaves the navigation directions and until the call is connected, I cannot return. In the mean time, I've missed my turns. Not only that, but if i leave the voice navigation on - I can not hear my call.

Did Toyota EVER test this? Even a VW GTI that I owned had an elegant solution, and would allow you to see the map at all times and even have the directions in the dash board. Of course, my BMW has the split screen.

2.) Bluetooth randomly disconnects, and map freezes

This has happened many times. My iPhone will disconnect from the car's bluetooth system, and not work. It's technically still connected and paired, but it won't work through the car until I turn bluetooth off and on and re-pair. Not only that, at times my map will just freeze, and I have to actually turn the car off and then on again to get it working.

3.) Adjusting navigation volume

This is annoying - when adjusting the volume, the screen's sensitivity is really off. It will think I am clicking somewhere on the map for directions, and it's a huge pain.

Am I alone here, or is this Toyota system badly designed? I really hope the highest end entune system or even those on Lexuses are not this badly designed.

What gives?

2. Logical

Logical Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You aren't alone. I am having the same kinda of issues. Working with dealer and that is a slow process. They says its apple fault. I did find reloading the firmware again help with the Bluetooth issues.

3. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It has been a known fact for many years that all OEM Navigation systems are all horrible. They also cost 10X what a standalone unit cost. You are better off getting a Garmin unit then getting a GPS unit built in the car.

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you have an iPhone, install the free WAZE navigation app. It is the BMW/Lexus/Apple of GPS. It gives you turn-by-turn via Bluetooth, and it's traffic routing is absolutely amazing.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OP's story is just more evidence that people that yap on the phone while driving are too distracted to drive safely.

mjones12 likes this.
  6. rondocap

rondocap Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sage, for business, there is no other choice If I have to drive around and make calls. Handsfree makes it much safer, but obviously if the system is constantly malfunctioning it does not help.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hardly.

Read the medical studies. You should reconsider how you work. The increased risk of accidents you take is a very poor business plan, not to mention the risks you take with your well-being and with those you share the road.