1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A "friend's problem" with her Chrysler's tires

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Aug 31, 2017.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seriously, this is a friend. I was over her house this past weekend and I happened to notice abnormal tread wear on the outside of her passenger side front tire -- feathering I believe it is called. Not smooth by any means, but the center of the tire and the inside shoulder had more tread.

I managed to sneak a penny in the treads and the two outside are marginally covering Abe's head. The rest of the grooves are much deeper.

The driver's side front tire is a totally different brand, and looks fine.

The rear tires are a matched pair of a third brand and look good.

She is a single mom with two kids -- this is a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country Minivan.

I know she does not have a bunch of bucks.

It is all conjecture, but how serious might this be. I am thinking she can probably wait a couple of months before springing for two new front tires -- if indeed that would be the solution.....

Rain usually does not start in earnest here until the end of October. Feel as if I should say something, but I want to be on somewhat solid ground before I squawk.
    kris

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe abnormal tread wear like that would indicate a wheel alignment or some other front end issue.
    I will let the experts here debate the best course of action.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on them, and does she rotate? did u check the pressures?

4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bisco, my exam was done on the qt. I think the tires were all bought at different times -- and were used when they were bought -- probably at a Les Schwab.

Schwab does seem to do a brisk business in selling used tires.

Miles, got me, and I am sure she does not know, but all of them have varying miles, I am sure.

I was just thinking if I could give her a heads up and she could save a couple of hundred dollars in the next two months it might head off overheating her credit card.

#4 cyberpriusII, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess all you can do is mention it to her, and suggest a reliable alignment shoppe. not sure if it will save her any money though.
    maybe you can help her understand auto maintenance, and the importance of regular service, both financially, and safety for her and her children.
    if finances get in the way, perhaps trading the minivan for something more economical would be a good decision.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First get the alignment fixed. Then a cheap replacement. Start with the spare and let the worn tire become the new spare. Did I mention first alignment?

Check the usual suspects for a sale.

Does Oregon have an annual safety or emissions inspection?

When a front tire fails, unskilled drivers can hit their brakes and brake-steer into a bad place.

Bob Wilson

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A relative of mine just paid to have his tracking realigned for a similar thing only to be told it was set OK, but his tyres were UNDER INFLATED. I'd recommend checking tyre pressure first. It won't cost much to find out!

bwilson4web, Raytheeagle and Mark57 like this.
  8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It would be interesting to know the dates if the tires are mounted "date side out". I would attempt asking about the van. There's not point taking it to the shop if she knows there is damage that can't be fixed or is too expensive to fix.

I'm with RCO about checking and increasing the tp (my bet it is low) but that isn't causing the problem.

Since we suspect the tires were bought used the current condition may have been caused by the previous vehicle.

RCO likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at least she's not in south texas.

RCO likes this.