1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A *good* traction control experience!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ghoti, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Ghoti

Ghoti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    After reading all of the threads recently debating the merits and flaws of the electronic traction control system the Prius uses, I thought I might share an inadvertant experiment.

As I'm now living in sunny Arizona, finding a snowbank is less than likely.

However, near my house, there is an overabundance of large swaths of extremely loose sand to the sides of the dirt road I live on.

A car was stopped on the aforementioned dirt road, and traffic was coming the other way, so I opted to go around to the right- over the loose sand pile.

Oops- got about halfway through and the sand, the car started slipping, and the traction control kicked in, and the car slowed to a stop. I was able to nudge the car about another foot forward before I wasn't going to get anywhere.

So- reverse- I backed up a couple feet, but made no real progress.

I tried what I had read elsewhere - keeping the accelerator floored, and, indeed, it started to 'auto-rock' the car, pulsing the car backwards (I was still trying to reverse). It was making progress, but was extremely slow, and, after all, I did need to get in to work, so I tried something else:

Keeping the accelerator floored the entire time, I made sure I had no one approaching my car, and I started using the transmission control to alternate between reverse and drive. Presto- rocked the Prius right out of the rut!

So, to make a long story short - stuck in the sand, or possibly a snowbank? Keep the gas floored and shift from R to D and back, and you'll be back in stealth mode in no time.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    you can do this shifting without using the brake?

3. Ghoti

Ghoti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, at low speeds (under 10 MPH or so), you can go directly from D or R or vice versa without your foot on the brake- as the car moves 'against' the new 'gear', you'll see the battery charging :)

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well cool, i need to try that one day but could be tough, wont try it unless i have a slippery place to experiment... used to have a place... my yard... but sold it.

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Try this also: As you approach a light, shift to B; when you stop shift to N and then to D. The ICE will stop immediately.

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Interesting thing here.

To be behind you at that light while you're working the R-D-R-D would be something to see.. the reverse lights coming on/off/on/off.. :)

This whole things still seems like something is wrong. When the accelerator is pressed, the car shouldn't slowly come to a standstill having zero wheel spin. I'm surprised if they can fake transmission drag in software that they can't give us a little clawing action when under 2mph and the traction control is taking over. You'd think a little faked up wheel spin wouldn't "Ruin" the drive system any more than driving the think up to 5mph would.

Keep on experimenting guys, when I get mine, I'll have to find a few situations for experimentation before I wind up learning this one at a stopsign somewhere.

7. Ghoti

Ghoti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    One of the reasons that the traction control is so protective is due to the immense torque of the electric motor- if you have a wheel spinning at speed and it suddenly gets traction, it could seriously damage the axle, the motor, or both!