1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A great perplexing electrical drain challenge .

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ddl, Apr 12, 2019.

1. ddl

ddl New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good day all. A pleasure to be on the forum. A great perplexing challenge to all.

On a 2015 Prius plug-in base we have a 24 hour 12 volt plus short to ground that is not connected to any fuse or relay ( we checked both fuse boxes).

What we have done with the car turned off:

A) We disconnected the negative ground lead to the 12-volt battery, then connected a voltmeter with the positive red lead connected to the negative (disconnected) battery ground wire and the black lead connected to the negative battery terminal on the battery itself. With that our volt meter reads 12 plus volts.

B) We pulled every fuse and relay one at a time watching the voltmeter, and it never dropped for any of the fuses or relays.

C) We disconnected the main disconnect (orange plug) to the 4.4 kWh lithium-ion battery and there was still a 12 plus volt drain on the meter.

D) We disconnected both of the 12 volt positive leads (connecting the positive battery terminal to the fuse box), one at the positive battery terminal and one at the fuse box. We then connected a large jumper wire in place of the disconnected wire, and we still had a 12 plus reading on the meter.

E) With the meter hooked up as described in A) above, we disconnected the positive lead of the battery and the volt meter went to zero. We also disconnected the positive 12 volt main battery lead at the fuse box and the meter went to zero.

Notes: the battery goes dead after a few days if we leave it connected in the car. If we disconnect the battery it does not go dead.

The battery is good, and functional and checks out when tested.

In conclusion, what could cause a 12 volt plus drain on the negative side of the battery after ruling out all of the above?

Thanks!

ddl

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Either you have no idea what you're doing or you were very tired when you wrote this up...

A 12v battery powers all the aux circuits in the car. Of course it is "live" when the car is off. It powers the radio to keep your presets. It powers the instrument cluster so it knows how much fuel you have and what your trip meters read. It powers the sensors in the windows to know the auto-stop limits. It powers the key fob computers to know when you're approaching the car or even when you press the button on your fob. It powers lots of things.

So having a 12v reading on a vehicle that's off is not a "drain" that's normal. Additionally a "drain" would imply current. If you're looking for phantom draw you should be measuring Amps/Milliamps in a series connection through the DMM as an ammeter.

If you're just measuring battery voltage a 12v reading on a 12v battery is dead. It should be closer to 12.8v. If your battery is actually 12v, then go buy a new one, that one is dead.

Pluggo and jerrymildred like this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    To put it a different way:
    Your test method is invalid.
    To BE valid, the meter needs to be set to measure current not voltage.

If old and weak enough, even the tiny little "normal" drains when sitting will cause the battery to go dead rather quickly.

Get the battery tested.
    And if it is over 4 years old, get a new one.

4. ddl

ddl New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Indeed, I do not know what I'm doing.
    I have .82 amps when I hook the amp meter to the negative side of the 12 volt battery. That is with the red lead on the disconnected battery ground cable and the negative lead connected to the negative battery post. Is that the amount of amps that should be there? If so, then it would be a bad battery.

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome. Forgive me, but I really did chuckle out loud a bit when I read @2k1Toaster's first line. There is no such thing as a 12V drain on the negative side. It would violate the laws of physics.

Your readings are perfectly normal and are exactly what I would expect except that I would have been afraid of burning out the meter if the current was much higher when connecting it in series and set to measure volts. Doing that more than once is how electrical apprentices flunk out of school. ;) You never insert a meter set to volts into a circuit like that. If you had set it to amps, though, you would have seen that you didn't have a short. You had a very small load. Probably a tiny fraction of an amp.

When the car is off, there is a boatload of stuff still using power. If you had pulled all the fuses at once, you might have gotten a zero reading. As it was, when you pulled the negative cable off the battery, you shuff off everything. When you connected the meter in series between the battery and the ground cable, you closed the circuit again with all the current going through the multi meter.

As to the battery going dead, is this car new to you? Not knowing who tested the battery and how, it's hard to say from here if the battery is really good or not. If it really is good, it sounds like something has been installed that's connected to a voltage source that's not shutting off with the car.

Pluggo and 2k1Toaster like this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, .82 is what I'd call more of a sizeable fraction of an amp. More than I would expect with the car quiescent. I would kind of expect at least one zero to the right of the decimal point....

Maybe there is something drawing more current than expected.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    820mA (if measured accurately and with an accurate meter) is not unheard of if something is happening. For example just being near the car it could be priming brakes which is many many amps. Or doing communication with the key fob. Or all the doors could be open so the dome lights and hatch lights are on, etc.

8. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    0.82 A is about 10 watts out of that 12v battery, so if that is really the quiescent load you're getting, I'm not surprised it's draining overnight. But I would keep that ammeter hooked up and visible through a closed window and check it a few minutes later (without the smart key, to avoid the interior lights coming on.) If it's still that high, then try your fuse-pulling sequence until you see a drop, realizing that the small monitoring loads will always draw a few tens of milliamps as 2k1Toaster said.

(BTW, jerrymildred is incorrect about a voltmeter getting damaged by measuring in series with a circuit. It's the oppisite thing: An ammeter can get damaged if placed ACROSS a raw power source like a battery.)

9. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the pollution check must draw some energy

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what we don't know yet: 12v measurement at night, and in the morning

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Any sign of small rodents in the cabin or under the hood, suckers chew wires and wires short, it the 12v goes ded in a day, it's a ded short.
    Or a ded 12v.

13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It most certainly can get damaged that way, but hopefully the fuse will protect it. And of course, if you have it set for 40A and run 100A through it, that will also damage it or blow the fuse. Both mistakes can blow the fuse or worse depending on the amperage. As an industrial electrician I've seen it happen.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I chuckled too......at your post.
    Circuits are closed loops.
    What goes out the positive MUST come back into the negative.
    You can measure the current flow anywhere in the loop.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  16. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    But it is WAY high if nothing is really happening.
    Doing his fuse test while watching the current flow should show what is causing the draw.
    But I suspect that if the ammeter is connected and then the car is left completely alone with no FOB present for an hour or so, the drain will drop to .20 or less, which would be normal.
    My money is still on a weak battery.

17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very likely, but if he tries it out, he'll have a learning experience that might be useful someday. And won't be guessing.

18. BillB

BillB New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just signed up and trying to ask a question. Just bought a 2008 Pius and daughter was driving it home was stuck in stopped traffic for an hour and half due to wreck. When she got home and I got in car red triangle on and check engine lite. I had her turn off and turn back on and had a single bar. Drove around for a while and went back to 6 bars green and no triangle or check engine? What do you do if in traffic like this? Thanks

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nothing ... the car takes care of itself in traffic like that, or any other kind.

Was your daughter doing anything in particular with the car during the time she was stuck in stopped traffic? She didn't shift into N, did she? That's a way to drain the battery.

If you're lucky, whatever trouble codes caused your warning lights to come on will still be retrievable by Techstream as historical codes, and then we'll be able to start guessing what happened to the car. If you're not lucky, they're gone, and we'll have to wait until it happens again before getting any further,

jerrymildred likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is how I would measure amps, not volts. Try that?