1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A hmmm question

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Wellfooled49, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Wellfooled49

Wellfooled49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    When I'm running on cruise control, at say 70, and I come up behind a car moving slower, as the Prime engages the brakes, do my brake lights come on? In other words, does the guy behind me know I'm slowing down?

2. xray22

xray22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes. Read the manual.

3. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes, but it takes more braking that you might think for the brake lights to activate. It will go all the way to about "B-mode" level of braking before the brake lights come on. In my opinion that might confuse following drivers. It could be dangerous because it gives them slightly less reaction time compared to using the brake pedal, where the lights come on at the lightest press of the pedal.

So most of the time if the car ahead is just a little slower or if there's enough following distance, the brake lights won't come on. If the car ahead of you is going much slower or coming to a stop the brake lights will come on.

I tested it by driving with my bike on the bike rack on the back, so I could see the lights shining on the bike in the rearview mirror.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It shouldn't be any more of an issue than when the car ahead is coasting in gear, or even has downshifted a gear. The person behind you doesn't know if you are using dynamic cruise control or not, and should be paying attention to you and the distance between.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  5. Wellfooled49

Wellfooled49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for the info, particularly the idea that, although the lights do come on, the system isn't as sensitive as it would be under manual control.

And I agree Xray22, I could have looked for this in the manual. But I much prefer hearing from people who may know the answer and be able to add some insight. And that's exactly what II got in this case.