1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A hydrogen powered Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Jul 16, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Portland Oregon - July 16, 2004 [SolarAccess.com]

This year's American Solar Energy Society (ASES) conference in Portland, Oregon, "Solar 2004" has officially wrapped up. All the snazzy company displays and their tired occupants have left the Northwest to once again focus their attention on their businesses in the solar, and renewable energy markets. In addition to awards, and the unveiling of new products, a number of interesting items were on display this year. A hydrogen powered Prius, the 'hydrogen highway' becoming a reality, and several innovations in green building were presented to attendees at this year's conference.

Read rest of article by clicking this link.

2. sparkymarvin

sparkymarvin Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mr. Kash,

Did you go out to Oregon to the conference?
    I would love to hear more about what Stan Ovshinsky's ECD Ovonics Prius is like.

~Andrew

3. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I just saw the article on line and it looked like an interesting conference, so I posted it.

Jeff

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    > the 'hydrogen highway' becoming a reality

What did they state as the BENEFIT of using hydrogen?

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

that anybody could drive a hydrogen powered Prius and expect the mileage were used to. Just can't fuel it up anywhere most people drive. Hydrogen hiway--- hydrogen dirt track. I'm 57 years old and I've been hearing about hydrogen powered cars for about 20+ years. Other than Ballards facility here in Vancouver, I don't know of a single other refilling station on the left coast of Canada. I'll never see it in my life time.

6. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I don't see the practicality of a Hydrogen Prius right now. However, many have pointed out that some of the technology needed for a practical hydrogen fuel cell automobile exists today in the Prius. (I.e., controlling where the power comes from.)

7. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hydrogen could be a benefit, IF distribution is looked at and developed correctly.

We often speak about the losses in the process of breaking down water into hydrogen. Shelve these losses for a minute.

Currently gasoline is distributed through pipelines nationally. When developing the infrastructure for hydrogen, IMO, it needs to be looked at as a localized system. This keeps the reforming process smaller, and easier to maintain. It would also reduce the overall power requirements needed for each reformer. When designing the system, design it to be immediately run by solar and/or wind power. This makes the above mentioned losses a moot point, as they are cancelled out by the continually renewable energy source. This also keeps them from being an additional drain to the existing power grid. The only remaining hurdle here, is the cost of implimentation. Somewhere, this will need to be brought down to the point where the price of the hydrogen fuel will be close to the equal gallon of gas.

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

What they need in the Prius to readily adapt to a hydrogen stack is the battery, as the stack has limited current output, but a steady current output. Charge the battery and use the MG2 to drive the car. Probably use MG1 as a regeneration charger as well. I've seen a Prius out at Ballard's facility but don't know if it's been converted and don't want to get arrested trying to find out. But I would be surprised if it wasn't converted. Other wise how have they wasted millions of dollars trying to get cars to run on hydrogen. They sold their technology back to Damlier Chrysler AG and Ford because DC and Ford wanted to develope it inhouse. Now they have revised the "hydrogen forecast" by another 10 years. And took a big stock hit when that info came out a couple of weeks ago.