1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A hypothetical question.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kc5dlo, Dec 5, 2019.

1. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Hearing some complaints of head gasket failures as these cars get older. I don't recall anyone saying they had an extended warranty when this occurred and if the warranty paid out. I don't have an extended warranty as I usually don't believe in them.
    Also any good or bad tales with an extended warranty on a car?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    for the few times i've read that they paid off, i've read many more who purchased them. thats how insurance works.
    if you want the piece of mind, read the policy for engine coverage. i would think it is, it's usually the hybrid bits they tend to leave out.

kc5dlo and Johnny Cakes like this.
  3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used my extended warranty once. The repair cost was approximately $500 for a display replacement. Cost of Platinum Extended Warranty...$2000.
    When you consider the reliability of the Prius, it’s highly unlikely that you’ll even come close to recovering the initial cost of the extended coverage.

kc5dlo, Johnny Cakes and bisco like this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought that very few of these headgasket failures occurred while typical extended warranties would still be in force.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the verbiage in the extended warranty doesn’t provide coverage for blown head gaskets, then keep your money in your wallet. And if it does covers then don’t buy a LOW mileage vehicle because by the time you drive up the miles, the extended warranty will expire.