1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A List of Prius Mods for the Website

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TonyPSchaefer, May 7, 2007.

1. LukUsc

LukUsc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey. I would like to make the following modifications to my Prius 2 Gen '06.
    I'm new to the forum and it is difficult for me to find the right information.
    (is too much of it here or I'm using the wrong keywords ).
    Will be grateful for the hint, where to look for information about?

1a) Add rear view camera with Toyota image display;
    1b) Add BT connectivity to play music;
    1c) Disabling annoying reversing sound;
    2) Connecting an external switch with a potentiometer to operate the battery fan (I would like to be able to regulate its speed manually, but so that it can also be controlled by the system at the same time,e.g. if my speed setting is lower than the one that is managed by the ECU, the fan will increase the system speed to itself);
    3) Connecting the harness to charge modules from outside without removing the HV battery from the car (something like Prolong Reconditioning System but for Turnigy Reaktor / imax B6 charger);
    4) Beginning of work on increasing the capacity of the HV battery, adding a second HV battery, eventually switching to li-ion with pug-in charging.

Thank you so much for all the tips!

NORMAL POPS likes this.
  2. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Free or almost free:

-Mouse Proofing: The ebsmythe modification is a barrier mod that uses quarter inch screen to prevent rodents from entering the cabin thru the ac system and rear vents. For the engine compartment, you can periodically spray peppermint oil solution under the hood every 6 months or so to keep rodents out. See YouTube video starting at 3:50 into the video. Avoid spraying sensitive areas such as sensors, heat shields and electronics).

-Install Screen Protector (for 11.6 inch display only): Follow package instructions carefully for pre-installation cleaning, and to ensure that you remove the film from sticky side of the protector first before installing it on the display. If you want, you can leave in place the other film covering the touch side of the screen protector to keep it from collecting dust and scratches. The screen protector will last forever this way and the touch screen function is only minimally affected with the film left on.

Less Than $100:

-Window Visors: Recommend AVS 894055 Low Profile Ventvisor (4pc set - dark/smoke transparent or black). The low profile visors look real slick on a Prius (see photo) but the installation requires some skill. You might want to find someone who knows how to install the visors to do it for you. Once installed, the visors allow you to crack the window open for ventilation when it's raining, and also help keep cabin humidity down when it's dry outside. They're especially helpful for Prius Campers. If you want to install the visors yourself, keep in mind that the alignment of the visors is aesthetically critical, and if you don't get it right the first time, you have to replace the double-sided adhesive before trying to re-installing them again (or buy a new set). Believe me. If you don't get the alignment right you will REALLY want to try to re-align them, but don't do it. Remove and re-install instead. If you try to re-align the visors after they have made contact with the vehicle surface, the adhesive will be compromised and the visors will eventually fall off. Also, all dirt and contamination must be removed from the car surface before installation, for the same reason. If you install the visors on a contaminated surface they will eventually fall off. When ordering the AVS visors don't be alarmed if the product appears to be heavily scratch in the package when it arrives - it's usually the package shrink plastic that's scratched, not the visors themselves.

20200213_131636id.jpg

#102 ice9, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    NORMAL POPS likes this.
  3. Inspire

Inspire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You know you're in the 2nd generation forum right?

NORMAL POPS and orenji like this.
  4. Ivan A

Ivan A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a minor mod I made a couple months back. Since my compartment buttons were looking hideous, I added some adhesive carbon fiber-type material. It came out pretty dope!

Attached Files:

NORMAL POPS, dpower and timoc like this.
  5. Ivan A

Ivan A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I applied it to my center console too, cause I got too frustrated trying to put a new leather cover on.

Attached Files:

NORMAL POPS likes this.
  6. Ivan A

Ivan A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a link to the carbon fiber wrap in case you're interested too.

NORMAL POPS likes this.
  7. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ok just upgraded from a 2001 first gen to a 2006 second gen. Will be duplicating some "mods" I had on old blue.

Thanks to wish.com I have a lot of TRD badging and stickers on order. Some include windshield top visor that reads Toyota racing development.

Something I did not see is the easy full Bluetooth work around thanks to Jeff Bezos and amazon. Alexa auto can be had off of Facebook market place for maybe $40. Will use the vent mount take the rubber out of the mount and attach under the mini compartment below the radio. Ise a short micro USB power cord to the front "lighter" and snake a 9 ft aux cord under the carpet to the aux input. Presto hands free phone calls along with music streaming and all the other Alexa commands. Best part you dont have to tear apart the entire dash to put a blue tooth splice in or replace the whole stereo.

8. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here is what I use if you have an AUX IN jack

Gen2 Bluetooth adapter | PriusChat

9. sterlihs

sterlihs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

10. sterlihs

sterlihs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The Walmart link gets me to a generic page and product 15581 isn’t found, fyi

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That link was posted in 2007. ;)

12. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Many jumpstarters are available. Also look at the super capacitor jump starters which do t require as frequent charges and can often jumpstart a car using its own ostensibly dead 12v battery

13. dpower

dpower Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It’s been a while but my 2005 is still rolling along. The TOM’s and TRD suspension parts have held up great. The paint not so much. The clear on the roof has gotten crusty and the rear spoiler lost its clear and paint years ago ( but it’s almost the same color as the car). Any suggestions on a body kit that’s still available or something to freshen up the car. I’m looking at having it wrapped rather than spend over $1000 to get the roof painted.
    I’ve seen 1 bumper for $450 or so shipped and not much else. Just getting to old? I’ve even been watching the yahoo auctions to see if something shows up. But looking for suggestions.

14. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Dpower your area bone yards can be your friend. My 2006 has some lower door rust issues on drivers side. Got the doors for $75 each.

NORMAL POPS likes this.
  15. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The 3M Vinyl wrap is easily available and many YouTube videos on applying it to Prius roof.
    They even sell a 5 ft x 1 ft kit for $15 that is perfect for recovering that small area between the main roof and the rear hatch. That’s where my clear coat failed. Trick is to sand off the remainder with very fine sandpaper so you have smooth surface for the vinyl.

A rainbow of colors and textures. Just don’t use the Matte texture as it’s supposed to attract fingerprints.

Woodstock74 likes this.
  16. JerryCS

JerryCS Prius camper with trailer hitch

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I found a good Prius lift kit that adds 1.5" and keeps the driving experience safe. $350 with everything you need. I'm sure this is posted in other threads on PrisuChat. PRIUS 2004-2009