1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A little bit of advice on if a prius would work for me in the UK

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by iron-icman, Jan 4, 2016.

1. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Hi guys my name is James I am from the UK
    I have been looking at changing my car for a while now I have a fiat grande punt which does about 30-35mpg

I have been to see a few different cars the ones that stood out was the prius gen 3 and also the honda insight but I prefer the Prius

I do around 15-20 mile round trip through the centre of town.

Normally about 15-20 min to get to work in a little bit of traffic and to get back home around 45min with very bad traffic

So my question is would the prius be the best way for me to get the best mpg

I have looked at diesels however because of the filters etc they don't like short journeys so I think that the prius is the one for me.

Would like your advice much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance (great helpful forum)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! i think the prius would be perfect for you. all the best!(y)

3. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Thank you would this be at its best then for what I want it to do.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, the prius is very efficient, even during warm up. even though the mpg's are low the first few miles, they are still better than most other cars. i used to have a 14 mile commute, 7 each way, and got better than 50 mpg average, including whatever other driving i did.
    the stop and go on the way home will bring it down a bit, but not significantly overall. plus, i don't believe your winters are as cold as ours, or am i mistaken? 23 degrees f currently here.

5. Drewintoledo

Drewintoledo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hybrids are better in the city than in the highway. Having said that, I was hesitant to pull the trigger on a Prius. I'm glad I did. I purchased a new 3rd Gen "v" style and the MPGs I'm getting in the city and the highway both beat the sticker advertised value. I don't have a heavy petrol foot and I imagine if you drive with any kind of finesse, you will produce the same results. I'm expecting even better MPGs as the weather warms in the spring and the motor breaks in.
    All the best to you.

6. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    The main thing also for me is I often take little trips to the local shop which is less than a mile away which if I am correct I can just use on electric mode so wouldn't cost me anything, that milage is very good our winters can get very cold however we are averaging like 5 degrees celsius the odd morning its 0 or -1 but thats rare. I just don't want to get this car then be let down by the mpg to say its a lot of money and could have got something else. just ticks all boxes good size boot, 5 doors, nice gadgets, electric mode, automatic, reversing camera.

Thank you

good thats what I like to hear glad you like yours I was also considering a gen 2 but don't really like the inside and the styling but this is quite a bit cheaper, but think I will just wait a few extra months and get the one I want.

#6 iron-icman, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2016
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you don't get much electric, although the euro version is a bit different, and i would wait for some locals to check in. if i tried to do a one mile trip my engine would come on and warm up, killing the mpg. that's why i got a pip, but i hear they are quite expensive over there.

8. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius is a well rounded vehicle with high reliability. It was engineered with your kind of driving in mind. Should you decide to go with a Prius, I'm sure you'll not regret it at all. With adequate power and superb fuel mileage it's a "No Brainer". Learn how to drive it and you can expect more than advertised fuel consumption figures.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Prius mpg ratings are better for city than highway, which is more-or-less unique, and alludes to it being a perfect cross town commuter. At the lower speeds it'll utilize electric-only propulsion, a lot. Just be careful to not overdo it, keep an eye on the state-of-charge indicator. If charge drops near halfway, then you want to avoid actively trying to get into electric-only, resort to pulses with the gas pedal and a bit of coasting, then repeat.

10. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----

Thank you all for your advice sounds like its the one for me my dad has a nissan leaf but I daren't go that far ha. Yes the pip are expensive over here also the prius are like 9-10 thousand pounds for something with 70-90 thousand miles.

What do you all like about your cars ?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    may i suggest you change your title to: a little bit of advice on if a prius would work for me IN THE UK.

not that there's a huge difference, but local knowledge is always helpful.

12. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Yes I have changed it is there many UK prius owners on here as in america I believe your mpg works differently to ours but I may be wrong

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, only a few, but they are very knowledgable, with a lot of experience. nothing wrong with replies from this side of the pond either, just nice to have balance.
    your dealers work a bit differently than ours, and your toyota warranty is different, as well as service schedules.

14. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Ah right I see thats ok not a problem you guys have been very helpful so far

What do you like about your prius and what do you dislike anything to look out for when buying one ?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've had 2004, 2008, and current. loved all 3 of them. plan on buying at the next gen pip in late 16 or 17. any complaints are minor, and personal.

you will find complainers here, but mostly just whining. the biggest thing for americans is acceleration, quiet and comfort, handling and the like. europeans poly less so, although you certainly have your share of luxury cars.
    maybe the biggest overall complaint is head unit technology, but that's true for a lot of cars.
    some people have a major problem with drivers seat comfort, especially on long trips. seems to depend on your build somewhat.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Besides the exemplary fuel economy: it's a very smooth driving car, good interior space, excellent cargo space. The batteries are not overtaxed, good track record. Brakes are little utilized, last a long time, due to much of the braking being the hybrid system using the electric motor as a generator.

17. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    must admit the record for reliability seems very good as all the cars I have seen online have high milage which can only a be a good thing, think I would fancy the t-spirit model the most with all the added extras.

18. Drewintoledo

Drewintoledo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I like the gen 3 interior. I'm a tall guy and have plenty of knee room, however I've never sat in a gen 2. I also appreciate the little cubby under the USB port. It appears as if it's there to hold a phone in the vertical position and could fit 2 side-by-side. All other cars I've owned didn't have such an accommodation and the charging cable inevitably gets tangled up in the center (spelled "centre" over the pond?) console or other components. The gen 3 seems well thought out for management of the ubiquitous communication device.

19. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----

Ha Ha thank you for the spell check, yes I agree the gen 3 looks so much better inside with how the instruments flow, I also love all the bottle holders which I miss on my car. Im not a tal person but I like how the interior makes you feel surrounded and not like your driving a really big car, I do a lot of trips with a full car of 5 which at the moment is a big pain when my car is only a 2 door and the doors are massive and with me being short and having my seat far forward not good in car park situations.

20. drives

drives Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm UK and I looked at the insight and the Prius. The Prius was more expensive but boy was the Honda a let down. I love my Hondas but the interior was so gharish, questionable looks and not as nice to drive. I love my gen 3 albeit I bought it for motorway commuting. I cant think of many if any autos that compete mpg wise and the cvt is really good. Its genuinely interesting to drive with all the gadgets in the t spirit and the graphs plotting mpg. Plus the maintenance schedule is so simple so it appealed to me as someone who likes to diy as much as possible. Its also mega comfy I find and the interior is really spacious. Although I did come from a S2000.

I dont think you can go far wrong.

iron-icman likes this.