1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A little help, please (how to unlatch rear hatch)

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MadHungarian, Oct 11, 2015.

1. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The problem: dead battery, hatch is locked (although 4 doors unlocked), little plastic cover at base of hatch removed, reached inside, but try as I may I am unable to unlatch hatch. Any helpful hints about how/what to do to manipulate mechanism to do so by someone either more skilled or more intelligent than I will be greatly appreciated. Also appreciated would be instructions of how to jump-start engine from engine compartment.

Notes: My owners manual resides with spare tire for safe keeping and is therefore unavailable. Perhaps too safe! What was Toyota thinking to leave doors unlocked when battery dies, but to lock (default mode?) the rear hatch and deny easy access to the battery? I believe it was unlocked when I parked the car.

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Use another 12V battery to give a "jump-start" (can be done on to the provided points under the hood) but take great care not to short anything! There are also other suggestions elsewhere here on PriusChat, and I'm sure the search engine will work just as well on your computer as it would on mine! - hope this helps - Wil

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, the hatch might have been unlocked, but the regular mechanism to open it from the outside is electrical.

This may help:

Capture.JPG

Beachbummm and MadHungarian like this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    See attached for jump start. This is a gen 2 but it is virtually the same on a gen 3.

BE SURE TO GET PLUS AND MINUS CORRECT. It is plus to plus and minus to minus. Plus is the red tab in the fuse box shown in the attached to plus on the other battery.

I printed this and placed in glove box of the wife's car so that someone helping her in the future might have a clue on how to do it. I also put a copy in a sandwich bag and taped it to the fuse box. She has never used it in 7 years largely since I turned off the hatch light which sometimes stays on if the hatch is not closed properly when parked.

Attached Files:

#4 rjparker, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    beachgeek and MadHungarian like this.
  5. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Mendel and rj--Just what I needed. Who would have thought a screw driver is need, and that the terminal is inside the fuse box? Likes and my sincere thank you to both of you! You are indeed two of the good guys.

WilDavis likes this.
  6. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    good to print out and keep in the car

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just looking at our reg Prius book: it has a lever you can move with your finger. Kinda frustrating that you need an extra tool on hand for the v, a backward step in design.

I just picked up a electrical terminal ratcheting crimping tool with the same issue: to release it you have to reach in with a screw driver, trip a latch. A tool for a tool, hmph.

8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Doesn't the that model still have to meet the rule requiring an inside release so a person trapped inside can escape---at least in theory, assuming they can find and operate the release lever?

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can get out thru a side door. But yeah, not very good.