1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Little help please...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by justjeff, Jan 18, 2012.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can't you force charge it in Park? I know the engine shuts off in N but not P.

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Ed. I know it seems strange, because when you're warming up it charges best in "P", but last time I tried to force charge it in "P" it would rev the engine but it wouldn't charge the battery. I had to put it into "D" to force charge it.

Can someone please confirm this, it has been a while since I've done it (force charge).

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I vaguely remember having to force charge in "D".

4. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Correct, the car force charges nicely in DRIVE, ( that is when the car is totally servicable) I have done it a few times, with no problems. Charges to a Green Charge in about one minute.
    :cheer2:

1 person likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I tried force charging it today in park and the motor revs up but I see no arrow movement in the mfd so that won't work.

I tried it in D and it charges but it seems hard on the car powerbraking it like that for quite a while. That has to heat up the mg pretty quick.

6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How quick ? And to what teperature ? :cheer2:

7. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I dug up the log of force charging and plotted up:
    [​IMG]

I did two force charges, the first time the MG2 T went from 38 C to 43C, and the 2nd time from 42C to 46C. The SOC saturated at 81.5 at which point the Prius refused to put more current into the HV battery.

1 person likes this.
  8. Frannieb14

Frannieb14 New Member

I have a question about my key. I have a 2007 and the other day Feb 7, 2012 one of my keys stopped working. Is there anyway to re-charge it or what. Can anyone help me?

9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Putting the key in the oven at 350 degees F will recharge it, charging time 3 hours. or til medium rare. Just kidding, there is a battery in the FOB, it needs changing. Do a search on Prius Chat under FOB.:D

10. justjeff

justjeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wanted to let you all know the car is together and running. I finally tapped out and brought it to Adopt A Part. It ran like crap because the motor war junk...sucked a piece of the intake into the motor and bent the valves I guess. So replaced the motor. And the brake system had a short. So that is fixed. Eric and Brian were fair and I would recommend them. However I did have to add coolant to both systems after the work was done. But I had some at my shop so no big deal.
    Now I have two other issues I am trying to figure out. When I shut off the car, sometimes the noise after shut down isnt normal. I know because my girlfriend has a prius as well. Mine is louder at times, and sounds different. Almost like a pump is running dry....also the car seems to slip vs how my girlfriends pulls. I know the transmission can't slip like a conventional transmission, but it sure seems to pull less for the rpm's vs my girlfriends...I wonder if there is enough transaxle fluid in the car?? Anyone have any ideas?