1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A little story about the Nav system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Scott_R, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A number of years back, a coffeehouse opened up in a nearby town. The owner also had a bagel store and a caterers in the same shopping strip.

It remained open for a while, then the owner decided to close it--not because business was slow, but because his catering business was doing well and he needed the additional space. He'd hoped to be able to take over a store situated between the two businesses, but that person wouldn't vacate. At first he used part of the coffeehouse, shrinking it, but eventually shutting it entirely.

The catering business moved in, and things stayed this way for a while. Then the business whose space he'd wanted to use moved out, and he took it over, for a while using both spaces for catering. But he wanted to reopen the coffeehouse and so made plans.

Time passed, and the former coffee house was slowly readied. It then sat for over a year and a half, waiting for bureaucratic red tape (the health department, the town, etc.) to give the OK.

Eventually, years after it closed, the coffee house reopened.

The point to this story? The coffee place was listed in the "coffeehouse" category in my 08 Prius's navigation system, despite having closed a couple of years before I bought the car. And some years after I got the car, it was there again. I suppose Toyota's theory is that if they include erroneous listings, then given enough time, they might become true.

OK, one story doesn't a fact make, but in having had both an 06 and 08 with the Nav system, and owning several Garmin GPSs, Toyota's accuracy and usability is laughable in comparison. See, e.g., this document I put together some years back (I should update it with screenshots from my newer Garmins):
    Toyota Nav system critique

2. tjs4689

tjs4689 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The problem here is that the Nav Systems and any internal Nav System like this will never be as current as an OEM device. For example if the POI database was update by the dealership each time your car was in for service then and only then could an automotive Nav Systems stay as current as the ones from the OEM's. Better yet provide the ability to download these databases from the net with WIFI enabled enhancement to the Nav System. If the POI came from Google Earth or some other provider then your POI database is current up to the last time you updated.
    My 2009 Prius with the Nav Systems is good enough for what I need. If I would have dialed in the coffee shop you spoke about and found it to be gone I am sure there is another not to far away. Personal responsibility is part of any Nav system.
    My issue with the Toyota Nav system is the cost of updating the systems software and map databases. Garmin updates only cost 75 bucks. Toyota last time I inquired was $200 or more. What makes their update that great? They (Toyota) needs to understand that if the ask for that I will go several years between updates.

3. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, I had a couple of points with this story. My prime, but tangential, objection to the NAV system was contained in the link I'd included: the biggest drawback isn't the out of date POIs, but the poor UI.

But as far as accuracy, in comparison, I bought a refurb Garmin nuvi 350 just a few months after I got the Prius, and its database was much more accurate. I was just amused in this circumstance that the NAV system was *so* out of date, that it came full circle and by sheer chance got it right.

As far as updating the system it could easily have been done much more easily and less expensively. For one... why a DVD? Doesn't that add cost and complexity? A component with moving parts that's slow and not best suited to movement. Why not a flash drive? Maybe a tenth the size and much far quicker access. And how about a SD slot so the user could add/customize POIs and routes? I think that going that route (flash memory for the main maps and an SD slot) would have been no more expensive, and likely less so, than the DVD drive. And the dealer wouldn't have to stock map DVDs: hook up to the flash drive, and it's updated in a minute.

I don't think personal responsibility is the right phrase here: that applies to not turning off a cliff just because the GPSr tells you to. If a person needs to get gas but the three places in succession the NAV brought him to are all closed or were simply never there at all, he wasn't being irresponsible.

Oh, and the NAV system didn't have a listing for any of the coffeeshops in a 10 mile radius of the place it had by accident.

4. Bernie Ferrone

Bernie Ferrone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just ordered the 2010 Nav disc from the dealer @ $220.00. They tell me it should be in by the end of the week. I'll post when it comes in and how it looks in my area. I too have a Garmin and yes it is much cheaper and yes it took me a long time to figure out the factroy nav system, but I like the big screen, relative theft protection and some of the map views better on the factory one. I have found the 2007 version in mine now to be very accurate except for obvious changes in the past 3 years. To each his own I guess.

5. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I actually wish, there was a way to just tap into the display via a USB/AUX cable for the portable GPS devices. In essense, you use the portable to do your route setup, and then plug in so that you can view it on the larger nav screen. Granted, this is not much of a step up, but would at least give you the updated maps, etc. of the portable.

In all honesty, I think that if Toyota is going to continue to use the "regions" in the NAV setup, they should switch to SD cards, with one for each region. If a user wanted to update anything, they could update ONLY the regions they want (those used most) and simply swap out the SD card. Even better, the dealer could just erase and re-load the new data on the same card. No waste, quick updates, and faster access. I would imagine this is actually cheaper than the DVD way, especially considering all the moving parts that go along with it. Maybe one day, we will have the option to do a Wi-Fi download of this information via multiple sources (google, garmin, etc).

The really sad part for me, is that I live off Rte 7 and when I'm using the GPS to get me home, it shows the outline of FLORIDA with a 7 on it....I don't even live in Florida nor does the road go there! To me, that's embarassing more so than the other items.

6. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bernie: I had an older Garmin before I bought the Prius, and bought the NAV system for the same reasons: bigger screen and theft resistance. But when I started using it and wondered "why can't you..." I got increasingly irked. Again, look at the document I posted (no ads of any kind, I promise).

wick1ert: I definitely wouldn't want a one-region-per-card setup. I suspect that the only reason Toyota (actually, Denso) did it this way is that loading data from a DVD is so excruciatingly slow, they had to break it up into chunks to make it usable (another reason to have used flash).

What about when people travel a good distance? I go between regions all the time; I *must* have them all available at the same time (switching regions is already a PITA). How could I swap cards in the middle of a route?

As far as currency of data, I used the (older) Garmin in a cross-country drive before I bought the Prius and it rarely failed me--maybe twice on a 9000 mile drive (once a gas station was shut, and another time a coffeehouse wasn't where it brought me, though there might have been a glitch in the address I'd entered). The NAV system I would use for the most general of guidance, but on long drives when I'm away for days or longer, I bring my newer Garmin along as backup. See especially item #1.

7. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are right - I have the Nav system on a 2010, and it truly sucks. The POI is not only out of date (I have the latest version) it is inaccurate. This is probably due to the inadequate mapping of the position of addresses. For example. it displays my house at an address that is 60 numbers away, and doesn't even exist. The speed at which it reacts to inputting an address is very poor, probably because of the DVD. The bluetooth is also pitiful, fully interfacing to very few phones and having a 5 second delay upon answering. You can get a fairly decent unit for the price of a Toyota update DVD. Almost every other built in Nav unit I'm aware of allows the screen to be dimmed with the dash light dim switch. On the Toyota you have to do it manually. I advise anyone who asks to stay far away from the Toyota Nav system.

8. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What puzzles me is that there are only a few map data supplies--Toyota (or Denso) doesn't do the mapping, nor does Garmin (though didn't the latter recently buy a company that does?). So why don't they have similar data? Or is Toyota's mapping algorithm so bad it puts the POIs in the wrong spot?

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are indeed a very limited number of mapping companies. Each of these sells various levels of service, and each client is able to pick and choose what to buy and when to buy it. Toyota may not be using the newest or best data available.

Tom

10. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Strange, since both Garmin and Toyota use the Navteq maps.