1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A look inside the Toyota 90915-YZZN1 spin on oil filter

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Georgina Rudkus, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I changed the oil in my car, today.

Usually, I just put the oil filter into the bin at my recycling center. This time, I cut it open and examined its components.

I was surprised to find out how high quality this Toyota filter is compared to the videos of those mass market Fram oil filters with the rusted metal and glued cardboard components.

90915-YZZN1.JPG

90915-YZZN1-2.JPG

All the steel components are zinc plated on the inside. The drain back valve is made of silicone rubber.

Instead of a flat spring, the over pressure relief valve is closed with a coiled spring.

#1 Georgina Rudkus, Mar 31, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    RRxing and Doug McC like this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm surprised their filters are still reasonably priced compared to their competitors. I've heard the quality of the filter element is the only thing that's holding the Toyota OEM filters back. They are good for about 10k miles and they've been engineered to just meet that threshold.

3. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Why design and build a filter that goes beyond what is required for the mechanical device it is designed to protect? A waste of resources it seems to me, BTWDIK?

Zeppo Shanski likes this.
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That filter came out in 6 months and only after 1,200 miles.

If one wants to keep his or her car for a long time, 3,000 to 5,000 miles is the maximum you'd want to keep oil in an engine.

There is no such thing as an extended life motor oil and filter. The longer it's in use, the more detritus, gasoline dilution, and varnish from burned and unburned hydrocarbons there is to gum up and abrade the wear surfaces within the engine.

The only way to get rid of these is to drain the oil, change the filter and install new oil.

Zeppo Shanski, Doug McC and RRxing like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Now I don't feel too bad, regarding our 6 months and ~1500 kms.

6. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The internal filter is basically the same as the cartridge element.

Using the cheap cutoff tool that I got off Amazon, it takes no time to cut the spin on can open to recycle the steel components.

oil filter cutoff tool_.jpg