1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A majority of auto executives still think battery electric cars will fail, survey says

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by HPrimeAdvanced, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Huh. I read the other day that H2 is $10 per Kg and that the Mirai travels about 67 miles per Kg. That works out to 15 cents a mile.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bev's will always be able to charge at home overnight, i wonder if fcev's ever will be able.

#162 bisco, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  3. Critical

Critical Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The Mirai has a 5Kg tank. EPA rating is 312 mile range which works out to 62.5 miles/Kg. Very few of us get close to 300 miles per tank. Seat heaters, HVAC, incline, etc. make it very tough to get that range. Some do. 240 miles is normal. Fuel costs vary. $16.50 to $20+/Kg.

There is also the concept of effective range. If a fueling station is 20 miles away round-trip then the effective range in normal usage goes down. Some owners prefer to calculate per mile cost on effective range.

Japan is making a push ahead of the 2020 Olympics to have at-home hydrogen refueling infrastructure.

#163 Critical, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    HPrimeAdvanced and bisco like this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You would need to include charging / fueling infrastructure in those calculations.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    from what i have read, japan has poor electrical grid, and their driving distances do not compare to ours, so hydrogen might make more sense there, idk.

Trollbait likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that would be important for the future of each vehicle, but i was just wondering. it seems to me a bev is much simpler, but maybe the size of the battery will make the costs equivalent someday.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. Critical

Critical Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There is another challenge coming for BEV owners, at least in California. Electric companies are switching customers to time of use (TOU) rates. This means rates will be higher in the evening hours until most people on a normal schedule go to sleep. This reduces the amount of time a BEV can be charged overnight at the cheaper rate. Some BEV owners have already switched to TOU as the cheaper rates work out better when a large battery needs to be charged.

While I haven’t done the math yet, it seems like having faster charging options will become increasingly important to consider. If prices continue to drop on solar and in-home battery packs for electricity storage then they may make sense in multi-BEV households. The challenge will be seeing how much the increased cost of electricity will offset costs of equipment (in cars, homes, etc.).

It will also be interesting to see what kinds of electric utility infrastructure upgrades will be needed if BEVs beat FCEVs and people start shifting away from ICEs... and how much of the cost will be passed to consumers.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thank you for sharing:
    We have discussion about fuel cell cars at:
    How to Promote the Hydrogen Economy Hoax | Inside EVS Forum

If you have time, your unique insights could help.

Bob Wilson

Zythryn and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That thread, perhaps, but there are fuel cell advocates who bring their point of view too.

Living in Dixie, the nearest fuel cells are in the local space museum just outside of Marshall Space Flight Center. Five years ago when I visited at the Toyota Georgetown plant, I only saw battery powered tugs. I can only share my engineering studies and NASA papers about hydrogen ... wicked stuff.

Bob Wilson

11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for clarifying that. Communications by text only are notoriously difficult. With the lack of visual feedback, tonal feedback, etc words are the only source of the meaning of a statement.
    When I saw the qualifier on FCV that they work well, but not on EVs, I wasn't sure what the meaning, if any was. I appreciate the correction.

The time to charge may narrow the usefulness for some.
    Here in MN, our TOU off peak time window is 12 hours, although a super-off peak will soon be offered that is only 6 hours.
    On a 40A outlet, we can charge about 180 miles in that 6 hours which is more than enough for us, but not 100% of people. I recognize some people drive 200 miles day after day.
    If that window narrows even more, that would cut more people out of the market.

I am probably so enamored with EVs because I need to plan less before setting off to a destination than I do a gas car :)
    I also realize that isn't the case for everyone.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was thinking about just that in terms of refueling time.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is a long ways away, but yes, the grid needs updating and more supply. otoh, as gasoline fades, those tax incentives to oil might be applied to electricity production.

14. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Only if the oil companies can somehow profit from it. That is why they do not like the idea of charging at home. There is no way for them to extract a profit from that.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. it will be an uphill political battle, as it is currently.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't recall the oil companies getting in the way of my EV purchases or my home PV

Indirectly they distort the market via externaliites

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who do you think is fighting it? it's behind the scenes money for sure, but that's how pac's work. more than just oil companies, any business adversely affected by renewables.

it's not like rex tillerson is going to do a press conference against it. they are smarter than that.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  18. Critical

Critical Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I appreciate the invitation to participate. I recognize that BEVs, FCEVs, PHEVs, etc. all have pros and cons as they exist today. Each of the technologies may work but it requires a bit of thought prior to purchase otherwise disappointment will follow. I am definitely not a keyboard warrior or evangelist for any technology. I don't read many of the EV blogs/forums because of the battles that ensue between the different camps.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would say phev does not require much thought, but maybe a little, if you want to plug it in. at the price of the prime though, it's a no brainer, plug or not.

20. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't followed it very closely. What and where are some of the best deals you can get?