1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

a minor problem (I think)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Vespasian, Nov 23, 2005.

1. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  3. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Vehicles in park don't move. Unless they are broken or defective... or not in park..

There's no end to the problem toyota has if their car is moving more than a wiggle from tension front to tension back while in park. The tires most certainly are not going to actually move a rolling distance.

That's all talking about having push and pull play with is seperate from the car actually propelling itself in one direction or another. Why would forward or backward motion happen to a prius in P?

If you got pinned to the cement wall, or were down near the under front of the car when it did that and you got injured, they got big problems.

4. Schmika

Schmika New Member

This was brought up in a thread about the Prius leapinging into a tow truck, It happened to me. The torque of the ICE starting (Oh, internal combustion engine to the person who asked) easily moves this wonderful little car. The amount you move is related to where the parking pawl is, but should not exceed 6 inches. What do I mean by torque. The transverse mounted engine (spins the same direction as the wheels turn) starts spinning at 600-700 rpm and the inertia causes movement. Why you don't notice this on conventional cars is the engine doesn't just start up on its own. Most people start their cars w/ their foot on the brake.

Since this was a legitimate issue (though I am skeptical of the actual collision with the wall) I would not classify this as a troll post. But then, I'm no expert.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Schmika,

Are we switching roles here? :lol:

You must put it in perspective of his posting history. The guy has priors (in California, those are admissible to prove intent). After all, he is the same poster who recently expressed his fear of merging into traffic, while driving his Prius on the expressway, and who also was scared to drive it on a cold day.

:rolleyes:

6. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Maybe you have been a good influence :lol: B) :lol:

You know, I don't pay a lot of attention to originating posters. I probsably should, so I don't waste my breath. I'm still lookin' forward to that drink!

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The parking pawl will allow inches, at most, of play. Feet of movement while in park indicates that something is broken. Take the car in for repair. Assuming you didn't make up the story.

Note that with the engine running or not, the Prius emulates an automatic transmission: taking your foot off the brake will cause it to creep forward. It's the computer saying: People are used to automatics and expect the car to creep forward, so let's pretend this is an automatic and creep forward. This can be prevented in the same three ways as in a conventional car: the foot brake, the parking brake, or putting the "transmission" in park. With the difference that in a conventional automatic the brake is fighting against the engine, while in the Prius, stepping on the brake tells the computer to stop emulating an automatic.

The Prius should never be left in neutral unless you want it to roll (e.g. in a car wash or being towed). Probably true of an automatic as well.

8. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I started another post, not having seen this one about the same thing. I certainly didn't see it move feet, but it did move a few inches. Certainly enough where someone could get hurt if they were right up against a tire or something, although it's not something someone should be doing with it running anyway.

The odd thing is that you would think the ice engaging wouldn't cause anything to move, although maybe unlike a conventional car, there really is no Neutral - Park simple puts the parking prawl and tells the system not to engage, but the startup is a bit more of a kick for it.

For the record - I've seen it happen 2 times. Both on level terrain. The interesting thing is that in similiar situations where I've been sitting in park with my foot off the brake and no emergency brake on, it hasn't happened. I'm going to experement in my driveway and see if I can measure the difference..

9. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I sure don't see any problem here.

I started mine up with just park holding the car on level ground. Car didn't move at all.

I also stopped car in park only, got out and pushed.
    I could rock the car forward and back maybe 2 inches. Just like most cars with park holding the car. But one difference was this car pushes easier than any I've had before.

10. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I said in my post, I've seen it twice (actually, both times today!) and haven't seen it in many (nearly) identical situations previously.

I'm at 5500 miles on my 05 picked up Sept 1st.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    dude i strongly suggest that you look at his post history. this is not the first person to call him a troll

12. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

If you want to call me a troll (a word that is so overused that it has lost all of its meaning), I couldn't care less. Just don't start a trend in which you crap in every legitimate thread I start.

BTW, for those you don't know the story, I got tired of being ridiculed constantly by a few PriusChat members for no good reason other than I wasn't instantly comfortable with driving my Prius in certain situations. Anyways, I lost my cool and called all Prius owners pricks. I apologize for that blanket statement. Most Prius owners are NOT pricks.

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You've already answered your own question, I hope. When stopped, at least one of the brakes (main or parking) should always be engaged. The parking pawl system is a failsafe and should not be relied on to keep any car completely motionless.

If you really were in park (and it's easy to stab at the "P" button but not really put into park) and if it really did move two feet (and we're people, not machines, so it's easy to misjudge a distance or to exaggerate our memories), then your car may need repair.

14. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

I'll recap the events: I got into my car, pressed the power button, and then disengaged the parking brake (but the car was still in Park). I didn't pull out right away. Within a minutes time the ICE turned on, casuing the car to lurch forward (something I've become accustomed to). But this "lurch" must have been at least a foot, casuing the front end of my car to my contact with a wall (but fortunately only causing extremely minor damage). I had pulled into that space more than normal because I didn't want a car to hit the rear end of my car when it came flying around the corner. But I was not within a few inches of the wall.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok, i guess im weird or something...but if anything remotely similiar to what you described had happened to me, i would be in a panic. since you dont seem to think its that bad, you must have already figured out what you did wrong.

my Prius also "lurches" when the ICE kicks on. however, it barely shakes the car. moving forward "nearly a foot" will only happen if in gear. as you know you may have the emergency brake on and be in drive. but you can not be in park and be in drive too. so the only way that what you described could happen in a normal vehicle would be that it was in drive.

i strongly suggest that you take the car in immediately before you kill someone. if what you describe is true, you have major safety issues

17. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

Like I said, maybe my measurement was off. I didn't have a tape measure. But it was not two or three inches. I guess I've become accustomed to the car lurching. Sometimes (but rarely) the car with also lurch when I'm braking, as if it's trying to accelerate. That situation can be a little bit more scary.

18. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I agree. The poster sounds like a TROLL and a SCMUCK.

19. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

Nice.

20. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

I apologize again for my outburst in that other thread. I was out-of-line. All Prius owners are not pricks. But it seems like some people are calling me a troll (and now a schmuck) not because of that outburst, but rather for some threads I started about my fears of driving the Prius in certain situations (eg. on the expressway). I can understand if you want to hate me because of my comment that Prius drivers are bigger pricks than BMW drivers, but I don't understand why I should be hated because I had apprehensions (most of which I have overcome) about driving the Prius.