1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Missed Opportunity to Reach the Magic Number- 60 MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusPeep, Dec 14, 2022.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh god… :rolleyes:

2. syncro87

syncro87 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Allow me to clarify that sentence plucked from my post. I think the US market for hybrids that aren't plug in, that are non SUV, compact cars is shrinking. Toyota, I think rightly so, decided that they have to bring something very new to the P formula to remain relevant in the segment. I think the average person shopping a Prius would rather have 190-some hp, 50-something mpg, and an attractive shape than a 60 mpg Prius that had the same weaknesses as the outgoing car. So that is why I said good luck with continuing the old strategy. The world and market have changed since the outgoing car was being engineered. The competition is very different.

Heck, I'm half surprised T did a new P at all. A strong case could have probably been made internally that the money could have been spent elsewhere.

Trollbait and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder what other vehicles/models prospective car buyers will cross shop with the new prius

4. ingénieur

ingénieur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota had to choose between two of its new range of Dynamic Force Engine for this 2023 Prius: M15A-FXE or M20A-FXS.
    I was expecting the same M15A-FXE as for new 2021 Toyota Aqua because this engine has more power than 2004-2009 Prius.
    But Dynamic Force Engine are variable Atkinson and Otto cycle (Atkinson cycle for efficiency and Otto cycle for Power).
    Maximum power of these engines are measured using Otto cycle: Prius 2023 = 150 HP (M20A-FXS = 143-176 HP).
    With the most efficient Atkinson cycle expect around half of this power: 75 HP at compression ratio of 14:1.
    2023 Prius engine would have around the same maximum power as 2004-2009 Prius if using only the most efficient Atkinson cycle.

Conclusion: Drivers of 2023 Prius are choosing between efficiency or power, while riding!

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I agree. An I'm one of those that was really hoping for the "magic 60". (y) However, the other aspects really won me over. They killed it on the styling....and the increased power is also a huge plus that will draw in many. I'm still shocked at how much the general "gearhead" auto media is liking it!

As for MPG, the base model with the 17 inch wheels is close enough to the "magic 60" to make me happy. I'm sure us enthusiasts will easily pull well over 60 MPG in real world conditions. (y)

6. ingénieur

ingénieur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Usually, 19 inch tires are wider than 17 inch wich is a problem for friction with road and air.
    But, it is not the case with 2023 Prius. 195/50R19 are new tires with the same width as 2022 Prius tires!

#46 ingénieur, Dec 27, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is the Corolla, Elantra, and Civic hybrids. Maybe buyers will also look at the size up hybrid sedans. Those looking for cargo space will look at the Niro and the SUVs(Rav4, Escape, CR-V).

The Prius will likely have better performance than the sedans, with cargo versatility. Maybe an AWD advantage. The sedans could be better fuel economy. It will do better than the SUVs in fuel economy.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While there's still a slight price advantage, the Prius really had a good price and mpg advantage at the expense of looks and feature content (it was decent but not market leading).

Now it has a lot more features, more in line with EVs costing 10s of thousands more but then the price has creeped up close to a RAV4 Hybrid. I'm not sure there's a big enough price difference (at least in Canada) to choose between the two. (i.e. consumers will still choose the RAV4 Hybrid)

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The TSS 3 might be a big advantage

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming most Toyota buyers know the difference.

TSS-P 3.0 brings it closer to HMG's HDA-II which is nice to see.

11. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    That ship sailed.

See if they gain sales or just stay level

12. PriusPeep

PriusPeep Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Jokes aside, check out another except from Car and Driver:

"The first thing that stands out is how desirable the new Prius looks, words we have never typed before. This came about because chief engineer Satoki Oya, newly assigned to the fifth-generation Prius program, pursued a "love at first sight" approach. He allowed the designers "the freedom to do what they want," in stark contrast to what he termed the "relentless pursuit of aerodynamic efficiency" that produced the prior weird-mobiles."

I love my "weird" Prius. It's charm and attraction was that very relentless pursuit of efficiency. I find it hard to believe and disappointing that Toyota didn't at least create one trim maximizing fuel efficiency, which is the claim to fame of the Prius.

If designers would have attacked that goal from every engineering angle and disregarded shallow aesthetics, 65 MPG was plausible. That would would have been an epic barnburner, leaving all other manufacturers to eat Toyota's dust.

What's happened here is that Toyota discontinued Prius without officially acknowledging they whacked the vehicle. They've released an imposter.

Tested: 2023 Toyota Prius Drives Even Better Than It Now Looks

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, it turned into a styling at all costs task. somehow, they managed to lose their way.

it like when the lexus prius came out. looked good, got decent mpg's, nobody wanted one

Rmay635703 likes this.
  14. par_struggle

par_struggle Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The RAV4 hybrid is a great vehicle...if you can get your hands on one. I've been trying to find a dealer that will sell anywhere near MSRP for a couple of months.

For my area the extra ground clearance is useful this time of year. And anything that large getting ~40mpg is pretty impressive. I'd love to get into an AWD Prius, but the RAV4 is much more useful size and clearance wise.

15. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've found the term "magic 60mpg" to be odd.
    I don't see anything "magic" about it.
    First, 60mpg can be reached with the Gen 4 if one is willing to drive in such a way to reach it.
    Second, compared to the Prime and BEVs, 60mpg is only about half of what they can reach.

If you want 'magic' efficiency there are better options.
    I like what they did with the 5th gen, it should increase sales and improve the image of the Prius.

16. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

There will be many that will opt for the Ford Maverick hybrid as well. Ford is still killing it with Maverick sales.

17. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Ford only fulfills about 1/3 of the hybrid orders.

Sort of like buying a RAV4 PHEV

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lady that works at the dump used to drive a prime. yesterday i saw her get into a beautiful red rav4 prime. nice looking vehicle.
    i guess i was in the wrong business, or it was her Christmas present

19. shoreview

shoreview Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, they won't gain sales if they stick with their intention to supply only 35,000 of them and leave it to the vagaries of extreme dealer markups.

I'm more interested in how Toyota failed to improve aerodynamic performance in the new model despite sharply lowering the roofline. And how they moved clearly backwards on fuel economy in the new Corolla hybrid. And where they're getting a slight MPG increase in the Prius if not from aerodynamics, especially given the backsliding in the Corolla.

I think the Prius could do really well if they a) market it and b) supply an appropriate number of them.

20. Billy56

Billy56 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    This new Prius has only an 11.3 gal tank....same as my 2020 model

I averaged 95.2 MPG in my 2003 Insight. The car was EPA rated at only 70 mpg, but with hypermiling techniques it is easy to far exceed that. I achieved up to 182 MPG in competitions....

NO....the size is 195/60/17

#60 Billy56, Dec 29, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2022