1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A new brake issue after the firmware update

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by xvs, Mar 1, 2010.

1. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just got the firmware update to correct braking issues, drove somewhere, parked (on a hill, rear end facing down), and when I started the car again, I did some sequence I can't quite remember. I think I put the car in Drive with the emergency brake on, then shifted to reverse or vice versa.

After this, the normal brake pedal seemed to be locked: it could not be depressed at all. There was no way to push it down even a fraction of an inch. Luckily, the emergency brake was still on. I was unable to shift the car, so I power cycled it, and then everything operated normally.

Has anyone else seen this -- where the brake pedal becomes locked and can't be depressed? It was quite freaky and makes me wonder about this update.

I have not reported this to Toyota yet, but now that I think of it I will call the dealer and see what they say.

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    By all means report it to Toyota. They can't investigate what they don't know about.

3. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just spoke with the dealer and they said I could bring my car in and they could 'check it out', but that they'd never heard of this problem before.

I told them that I didn't think they'd be able to find anything if they didn't know about the problem, and requested that they contact Toyota to report it and get advice, and that they call me back.

We'll see what they say. In the meantime, anyone else experience this?

I'm starting to feel that it might be better to get a car which is less reliant on hard-to-debug complex software.

4. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why not take a tech guy along and go to the same place and replicate it?

5. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I haven't been able to replicate it.

I found the same thing with the issue that was corrected by the update -- it happened to me 3-4 times, but when I tried to make it happen, I couldn't.

I know some people here were able to consistently replicate the loss of braking issue, but I wasn't one of them.

I had another odd issue with the car when I first got it, involving the back door being opened, the car shifted into drive or reverse while the door was opened, and then put into park. Some warning lights went on and wouldn't shut off until I power cycled. Could never replicate that either.

This is one reason software like this is so hard to debug -- bugs can exist which are only found in rare situations.

6. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ??

The car warned you when the door was opened while the car was in drive? Sounds like a design feature to me.

7. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is it possible you had kicked in the hill assist?

8. CharleneN

CharleneN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Are you saying the car would shift itself into drive or reverse then into park when you opened the back door?? Or, are you saying warning lights would come on if you left the back door open and then you shifted the car into drive or reverse?? :confused::confused::confused:

Hope your brake issue is either resolved, or never comes back!

9. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    No, the warning lights stayed on after the doors were closed and the passenger had left from the back seat. There was no way to turn the light off without power cycling.

But let's not get sidetracked from the braking issue.

10. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    No, I use that all the time and it never keeps the brake from being depressed. In fact, you have to keep the brake depressed to use it.

11. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That. I'm sorry I brought it up. It should be for another thread.

The dealer just called me back and said that they won't be able to contact Toyota til tomorrow and will get back to me then. He suggested it could be some kind of vacuum issue which may temporarily keep the brakes from working on initial engine start. If so, that sounds like a problem to fix too.

12. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When pushing the start button, you forgot to say, "The power of Christ compells you! The power of Christ compells you!"

It's in the manual - the one with the cross on the front.

13. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----

That's what is seems like to me.

14. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've already stated that it wasn't hill assist.

To clarify:

- I always use Hill Assist, and am very familiar with it.

- Hill Assist requires that you fully depress the brake pedal and keep it depressed

- What happened to me was that there was no way to depress the brake pedal at all, not even 1mm, starting with my foot off the brake pedal.

- This never happens with Hill Assist because, among other reasons, once you remove your foot from the brake pedal Hill Assist turns off in 2.5 seconds. There is never a time or cause with this feature which prevents you from depressing the brake pedal again.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While I am in no position to troubleshoot this, here are some questions I'd be asking if I were;

* Was the pedal position normal, or was it high or low?

* The force you applied to the pedal when it would not depress -- was it just normal pedal force for power braking, or was it the much harder force that one would need for manual braking when the power assist fails?

These questions are intended to distinguish among several directions, though other brainstorming could add more:

- pedal mechanically locked;
    - power assist stroke simulator stuck in full push-back;
    - power assist completely failed and limp, with pedal resting on the manual hydraulic cylinder, i.e. the brakes are in strictly non-power (manual) mode.

Again, these ideas are not complete, and I'm not the one who will be able to make use of the answers.

16. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The pedal was fully up, that is: high.

I was not able to move it at all using a very strong amount of foot pressure. It would not move.

And for reference, I am burly martial arts practitioner. :)

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You do realize that the Prius does *not* use vacuum assist for the brakes. My BS alarm has been set off by this dealer comment.

Tom

18. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Cars have been using software for a long time. It's been over 50 years, believe it or not, though the first efforts weren't all that successful.

19. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You said you had the parking brake on and couldn't compress the brake pedal. Do you know the brake pedal position feel well enough to know it was up to be compressed or could it have been all the way down and bottomed-out?

Hill Assist? Is that in all the cars or only Opt IV or V? I guess I still haven't read the whole manual.

20. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You just be careful until they can figure out what happened. Does the brake computer see the sensors that detect the angle of the car? kind of like the auto leveling headlights? is it possible she hit an exact angle to trigger a bug in the system?

It may be extremely hard to duplicate if that is the issue. It's scary if there are so many variables that could influence behavior like this at such random intervals.