1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

a new document for Prius... PSD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by john1701a, Mar 26, 2005.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I built the Visible Engine when I was in high school I wish we had a Visible HSG to play with. Mine had a electric motor to turn over the engine. That was the high water mark of my automotive repair experence.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I revealed the document; however, I'll still be doing tweaks for awhile.

Just now I (finally) remembered why 10kW motor (MG1) isn't only called a "generator". That's because the "motor" part of it is used for starting the engine!

So... I'll add some text about that.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I ruined mine when I used vegetable oil to lubricate the moving parts, not thinking that vegetable oil gels.

4. Dr.Jay

Dr.Jay New Member

Here's a little did-bit of information.
    Many may have seen this before but here's a quote from an older document I ran across. . .
    The Planetary drive was actually was invented in 1921. . .guess no one knew how to implement it until now.

..."check out US patent number 1558806, applied for by a Mr. Hess of Union, Oregon in 1921. Not to take away any of the elegence of Toyota's design, but Mr. Hess was a little ahead of his time! It's all there, the planetary gear power divider, the electric motor/generators, batteries, engine etc!"

The doc also goes into the many patents Toyota got on the engine, etc.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The fuel-cell was invented back in 1839.

165 years later, they're still trying to figure out how to take advantage of it.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

and make it last longer than about a thousand hours! Just had the head off a Toyota forklift and it had 14,700 hours on it since new. Checked the service history since new and this is the first major engine problem.