1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A New Low (Diagnostic Fee for Warranty Work)?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by PiPLosAngeles, Aug 26, 2019.

1. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    So I dropped my 2018 Prime at the dealer for the 15,000-mile service this morning, and while the service writer was making my job ticket I requested that someone take a look at the driver's door window because it chatters the whole door when rolling up. To my shock the service writer told me it would be $150 to have someone check on that. Apparently Toyota dealerships now charge a "diagnostic fee" to determine if your issue is warranty related or not. What's worse is that Toyota USA fully backed the dealer when I called. They were adamant that there was nothing wrong with charging a customer for diagnostics on a car under warranty because "it's not warranty work, it's a diagnostic fee."

I've owned Toyotas for almost 20 years and have never encountered such a slimy practice before. Is this a new thing, or have I just been lucky?

2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have not seen this. Maybe it's a California thing. I would not be returning to that dealer.

I would think a simple demonstration of the malfunctioning window lift would be simple enough to demonstrate that it is a warranty issue.

3. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Just for giggles

[​IMG]

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been charged "diagnostic fee" not only from Toyota but also from other dealers as well as independent repair shops, but they were all for out of warranty repairs. And even for those, if the diagnostic indicates need for a repair, and I let them work on the repair needed, the diagnostic fees are waived in most cases. For any warranty works, I have not been charged for the "diagnostic fee", however, I think they are just included in the warranty cost. So, if they do charge $150 "diagnostic fee" and it turned out it is determined to need a warranty repair, the cost would be rolled into the warranty bill to manufacture not to the customer. If the repair is not covered by warranty, then customer would be responsible for the bill.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    SFO likes this.
  6. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This seems awfully cheesy. In the case of another open thread, where the steering wheel veneer is peeling, it would be so easy for the dealer to charge $150 to deny the warranty claim.

7. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The problem with that practice is that now the dealership has an incentive to decide that the problem isn't covered by the warranty so they can collect their $150. The customer has no way to avoid being screwed because there's no way for them to determine what is and isn't going to be covered under warranty. This is really unfortunate because it makes the customer's only recourse to either pay the extortion fee or to sue Toyota in an attempt to force them to honor the warranty represented to customers when they're trying to sell you the car.

This will be a HUGE factor in my decision when I purchase the next car in about two years. It used to be an easy proposition: just get a Toyota, but they're fast eroding all the reasons to do that. I guess that's one reason why their market share in the US has declined by 14% since 2009.

#7 PiPLosAngeles, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Db17 likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that is conceivable. But I think many dealers, out of good will do the initial inspection/diagnostic to come up with an estimate for free. My current Toyota dealer actually advertises free complimentary diagnostic. But I have had dealers and repair shops wanting to charge me $100 to just to hook up diagnostic computer through OBD to read codes.

9. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It is a different situation if the car is out of warranty. You would expect to pay a shop for their time (perhaps not $100 just to hook up), but in a warranty situation the manufacturer and dealer should not be setting up a fee system to suppress warranty claims.

Trollbait likes this.
  10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. Glad my dealer does not charge any diagnostic fee.

11. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I get the impression this is exactly the intended purpose. If you create a situation where customers run the real risk of a substantial financial penalty for making a warranty claim, they're going to be far less likely to make one. Especially when the final decision about who pays rests with the very people who stand to lose if they decide in the customer's favor.

Toyota corporate hides behind the "all dealers are independent" excuse, but they ultimately have full control over what dealers are allowed to do and what they're not.

Db17 likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in the olden days, you just asked the service writer if it was covered

what's next, your house burns down, and the insurance company wants $500. to come take a look and see if you're covered?:rolleyes:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I get the sense the diagnostic visit came into vogue about 20 years back? It used to be you presented the car with a problem, they looked it over, confirmed, gave you an estimate and booked an appointment for repair, all for free. It was the cost of doing business.

I can recall the first time I encountered this. I had a fairly straightforward issue, phoned ahead, described it, booked an appointment. I dropped off the car, got a call a couple of hours later, something like "We've checked it, and you're right that it's a problem, c'mon in, settle up for the diagnostic fee, and we'll book an appointment for the repair...".

14. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It's not new in general, just new to me in the context of a new car under warranty. I've never encountered that before today. I can understand that it costs money to have someone diagnose an issue, but it's a hard sell to tell me that it costs $150 to have the guy who already has your car up on the rack for free service press the window button and see if it's operating normally. That just feels dirty and slimy to me. Makes me want to dust my black slacks with copier toner and go sit in some new cars on the lot to test them out.

GrGramps and Trollbait like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    But maybe it shouldn't cost you money, ever. Yes the business needs to pay an employee, and it takes time, but is it necessary that the potential customer pays, from the moment he shows up with a problem?

That's the way it is, because they all do it that way now. All it takes is for a few to "break ranks", go back to free diagnostics, and maybe others would be playing catchup. Realistically, everybody's bill maybe needs to go up a bit, for real work, but yeah.

I appreciate in your case it was a potential warranty issue. But even then, the "threat" that you could be out $150, if it was deemed to not qualify as warranty work: that's going to scare people off from even approaching the dealership.

16. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Exactly correct.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect an important question is, is a chattering / shaking window that still rolls all the way up, even a warranty failure at all? If the service writer already knows that the warranty doesn't cover it until the window fails to roll up, then of course they can stack on the diagnostic fee for a non-warranty item.

18. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In my opinion, this is a clear warranty issue unless the window has been damaged by the owner. Windows go up and down smoothly on delivery, and should continue to do so during the warranty period.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are opinions, and then there is the actual print in the warranty booklet. And most of it isn't even fine print.

For example, on page 14 of my 2012 Warranty & Maintenance Guide:

"WHAT IS NOT COVERED
    Normal Wear and Tear

Noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration caused by normal wear and tear."

Considering how I've heard other manufacturers deny warranty claims for items that had not yet actually failed, but simply no longer worked as smoothly as desired or were even on a very clear path to future failure, I'd not be surprised to see this chattering denied warranty service by a picky dealer.

20. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If this is the way manufacturers are going to start handling minor items like this, they will lose many customers to those manufacturers that don't play this game. I have had warranty service on a number of cars and in no case have I been treated unreasonably on claims. VW changed out a rear view mirror that was getting droopy, for example.

In any case, I would continue to submit these warranty claims during services - this gives you a record that the fault existed during the warranty period if it continues beyond the warranty period.