1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A new metric for fuel economy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by DeadPhish, May 8, 2006.

1. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ May 8 2006, 08:36 PM) [snapback]251905[/snapback]</div>
    And the measure of mass is the slug. EEEEWWWW. :p

All of the hydrology terms are fubar in "standard" units. SI is so much easier. The Army mixes units. We use(d) meters and kilometers for distance, but of course volumes were still done in gallons, quarts, etc. I still talk about distances in meters and often get funny looks from people.

2. vikingrob

vikingrob New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 8 2006, 11:11 PM) [snapback]251971[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, to accomodate Imperial gallons. Legally, US gallons, Imperial gallons, and miles are defined in terms of meters, so it makes sense IMO to handle data accordingly.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DeadPhish @ May 7 2006, 11:14 PM) [snapback]251348[/snapback]</div>
    I am going to add a line to my spread sheet. This makes a lot of sense to me. Don't tell Frank I said that, we might not have anything to talk about!
    and done very interesting. I am going to add $/100mi that hits one more than c/mi

4. FreshAirGuy

FreshAirGuy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vikingrob @ May 9 2006, 12:59 AM) [snapback]251961[/snapback]</div>

A nickel a mile for gas these days is tough to beat.

5. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It can be very expensive not have a universal measurement system. It was not so long ago when one, or was it two, Mars probes crashed into Mars. The reason - both American and British scientists worked on parts of the probe using different numbering systems. Result - BANG $$$$$$.
    When Australia swapped over to metric it took me years for the metric system to become ingrained so that I did not have to think what a kilometre, or whatever, looked like. However, I think it was worth it from a calculation point of view.
    Everything is in decimal. We have 10 hours a day, 10 days a week and 10 weeks a year. If I work a third of a day as most people do then that is 3.33 hours a day, 33.33 hours a week and 333.33 hours a year. Now beat that if you can.
    If only....

6. pnerd

pnerd Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ May 8 2006, 10:07 PM) [snapback]251419[/snapback]</div>
    True, but the consumption/distance convention runs into the infinity problem in the opposite case:
    If your car isn't moving, in READY mode, and it's using the A/C, then the gas engine will turn on once in a while to generate electricity for the A/C.
    In this case, the momentary consumption would need to read infinite L/100km too.

My Prius uses the L/100km convention. Is there any way to change this??