1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A "park" "not to park" inquiry

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cyberprius, Mar 12, 2008.

1. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Good thread; learned a lot.

Still unanswered is "What happens when someone presses Park while driving?"

I presume that using the foot parking brake stops the car, and might be useful only in an emergency when the normal brakes don't work.

But I imagine the Parking button is ignored unless you are stopped ?

2. cyberprius

cyberprius Mtn Bikes don't need foglights

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I THINK I actually did this once when I first got the car and some sort of dire warning flashed on the screen, scaring me beyond belief....:eek::eek:....But I think that was all that happened.

Then again, maybe I just accidentially pressed the secret pizza delivery switch....I will tell you this, I am NOT going to try it and report back :D

3. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    LOL....

:deadhorse:

Who knew that the Park button could be this controv...ere I mean intersting?

BTW, great handle and great beer!

4. cyberprius

cyberprius Mtn Bikes don't need foglights

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh, guess I should mention that I remember completely what happens when you shift a Buick LeSabre from drive to park while driving at 60 mph...

It stops dead in its tracks and ALL the dash lights fire up (rental car my dad mistakenly let me drive....I thought I was adjusting the steering wheel.

It did start right up alongside Interstate 5 and we drove it some 1000 more miles with no problem...

5. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    sounds like the park button is a great button to push if your about to careen off a cliff whereas pressing power first wouldn't get the job done as fast.

6. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If I remember correctly, pressing the park button only sends a request to the control unit -- it is up to the control unit to decide what to do at that point. It isn't a mechanical linkage. Same with the other controls -- it is a strength of the Prius (and only occasionally a weakness). In the example of pressing park while moving, the control unit probably takes the request calmly, calls us an idiot under its electronic breath, and and waits for the car to stop. Maybe Patrick Wong or someone else knows how long the control unit waits or if it just deletes the request as an obvious error on our part.

7. Huntceet

Huntceet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    II
    .........and shoots off a message to SkyNet where a mark is placed on your permanent record. When you have accrued enough of these "Dummy" marks a "Do Not Permit To Breed" order is cut and you're brought in for sterilization.

Huntceet

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you never had your belongings set on fire and dance like you're not wearing any pants."

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Moving the shift lever to park at any speed above a crawl does nothing. The control system is smart enough to keep you from damaging the car. Pressing various buttons on the Prius at the wrong time will do one of two things: 1) Nothing, 2) Shift into neutral. An exception is holding the power button, which will force a power down after a few seconds.

Tom

9. sendconroymail

sendconroymail One Mean SOB

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Speaking of dashboard lights anyone start the car and drive with the drivers door ajar? A huge triangle appears on the dashboard (with a loud buzzing sound) and a weird message appears on the screen. Something about pressing park to charge the battery. Why can't a simple "door ajar" message appear? I think in this case Toyota overenginered.

10. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Good ! Thank you for the answer.

While most assume the driver must be stupid to press Park while moving, I'd be more concerned about a child or idiot passenger pushing it accidentally or just to see what happens, without realizing what might happen.

BTW, I read somewhere that Toyota designed the Prius to act just like a normal car, even though they didn't have to with almost everything being drive by wire mostly. So, for example, the Prius will creep at low speed when in Drive and brake released (but no foot on accelerator.)

Personally, I'd prefer some mod to keep the car in park after coming to a stop, and only release when accelerator pressed. This would mean I don't have to keep my foot on the brake when stopped. Would also mean fewer worries about my wife or I accidentally running into the garage wall or whatever.

And yes, all cars should be this way, IMO. I hate when people creap at lights with long lines and make me feel I have to wear my clutch (on current car) to keep the space in front of me under 20 feet. I also hate when people creep well over the pedestrian lines when I'm the pedestrian.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The nice thing about creeping in the Prius is that there is no clutch, or torque converter for that matter. It's one of the best creeping cars ever made.

Tom

12. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My first three hour traffic jam in Northern Virginia proved to be a real work-out in my manual Ford Focus (replaced by Prius).