1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A part fell off my Prius. Trying to identify...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FatGuyInALittleCar, Feb 3, 2014.

1. FatGuyInALittleCar

FatGuyInALittleCar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello everyone. I have been reading the forum for years now since I bought my 2007 base model brand new. I now have 176,000miles on it and counting. I've always found the information I need by searching the forums but now I have a unique issue. A little while back I started hearing a "creaky" type noise from under the car when coasting or braking at slow speeds. I figured it was time for new suspension parts as they have never been changed. I drive mostly in the Detroit metro area (the roads are terrible) and I'm a big guy so I know it takes a beating. One day after returning from work I found the part below at the end of my driveway and I haven't heard the noises since. The car has had no noticeable driving difference so I'm not too worried about it yet. I tried looking from underneath the car and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary or a matching piece like this one anywhere. It appears to be 8-12inches long. Does anyone have any ideas on what it might be?

Thanks,

Derek

prius part 1.jpg prius part2.jpg

2. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That's an exhaust heat shield. Avoid parking in tall dry grass lest you start a grass fire.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good one IM. That's a guaranteed fire.

A complete and thorough inspection of the undercarriage is in order. You'll start dropping off exhaust parts next.

FatGuyInALittleCar likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought it was a rusted out bedpan.:rolleyes: welcome to priuschat!(y)

5. FatGuyInALittleCar

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the input and advice guys!

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Heat shield - good eye ... not to be confused with the nearly identical and often misidentified 'Sfetzer' valve.
    ;)

7. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The same part just fell off my 2005 Prius. The picture above shows that it's the exhaust manifold heat shield. But the diagram in the attached link to Mid Atlantic Toyota Parts looks like a different part.

Did you have the part replaced. Was it expensive? Thanks!

9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Apparently, the area around the mounting bolts rusted but. The material is probably 409 stainless steel, which is very rust resistant at room temperature; NOT so much at elevated exhaust manifold temperatures.

10. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The heat shield was above your exhaust, not below, so don't worry about grass; replace the donut at the junction of the header and exhaust pipe, it's toast if the shield is, and the tailpipe is likely.

11. FatGuyInALittleCar

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did not end up having it replaced. However, I will have to do some digging and may have some work done especially if Ursle above is right. I have noticed the engine sounds a little louder (at idle, not too significant, I thought it was just getting old) over the past couple of months, maybe I've done some damage by not replacing that shield. I drive for hours at a time so it no doubt gets pretty hot under there. It might take me a little while, but I'll post back if I find anything out.

12. FatGuyInALittleCar

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    NYPrius, the diagram is of a different part. If you click that link and then click on the 2nd picture diagram available, it becomes an exploded view of exhaust heat shield parts. The part labeled #4 in that second view is the one that fell off of our cars. I'll try adding a link to what I believe it is, however, it does not appear to be a selectable purchasable part from Midwest unless they labeled it wrong. It appears that it may be tagged as part #3 but is really #4 with the wrong picture diagram. Why would the same part cost $90+ or $22???

It is #4 in this view also

Exhaust Manifold/Exhaust Manifolds for 2007 Toyota Prius

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #3 is the larger sheet metal part that covers the exhaust manifold while #4 is the smaller part that shields a portion of the exhaust pipe near the air/fuel ratio sensor and is the part that fell off. I agree that the parts catalog appears to have a typo.

14. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks FGLC and PW! The large heat shield (not shown in the above pictures) covers the top of the manifold. The small one that fell off of our cars faces down. You can tell by the curve of the pipes that it's on the underside of the manifold. (The manifolds in the above photos are lying downside facing up.) That's probably why it rusted. It was more exposed to road salt. I couldn't find a picture of the underside of the car. So I don't know what is below the manifold that needs to be shielded. I doubt if it's wires or anything highly heat sensitive. But I'm not sure. It might be suspension and steering components. Maybe I'll have the car put up on a lift and look for myself.

Does anyone know what the heat shield below the manifold is protecting? How essential is it to replace the shield? It's too high in the engine compartment to touch grass and start a fire. But there must be something under the manifold that needs protecting. Otherwise there would be no shield.

#14 nyprius, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014