1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Perfect Storm of Doubt

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by The Electric Me, Dec 26, 2009.

1. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Careful with generalizations. I absolutely disagree. I've driven mine in enough different situations over a lot more miles than most others to know that it's a nothing issue. Is it there? Yes. Does it affect anything? No, the vehicle stops as it's supposed to stop. If you let someone else's fears get in the way of your life you'll be paralyzed. There's someone afraid of everything in the world. Perspective.

No vehicle is made by divine hands to be perfectly suited for every driver. This one is certainly different enough ( revolutionary even ) from the past 100 yrs that it does take an open and flexible person to meld with the new technology. You might still be a few years away.

Roger's Innovation Adoption Curve...Innovation adoption curve of Rogers - Innovators, Early Adopters, Early Majority, Late Majority, Laggards - innovations diffusion change model

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the laugh. No, I started researching Prius just as the release of The 2010 Prius and The Honda Insight were "coming". IMO it's been pretty exciting watching both vehicles be released and the ensuing reality from the POV of this and other Hybrid websites.

I will admit that since I haven't purchased, my continued addiction to the site might be seen as a little abnormal but I really have come to like the community. I've also enjoyed the reality that this site is MORE than just an owners forum. Debating and discussing advertising and other issues with numerous people, including Doug Coleman of The Prius Team. It's been fun.

It does sort of become an issue, because I guess I do feel like if I don't buy a Prius pretty soon then I guess I'm not a "real" card carrying Prius Chatter. That's why my recent doubts are all that more disturbing...god help me but the Fit Freak Forum just isn't as much fun.

3. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IMO, you'll always be as welcome

it's just a little rough discussing if one of the sides of the discussion doesn't actually have the car. without an actual prius in your possession, you're at the mercy of opinion an emotionally charged statements, which may or may not be helpful

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    TEM - the Gen III is new, and many who buy the first articles find that they're the guinea pigs for the rest of us "johnny-come-lately's". Do what we did with our Lexus hybrid as well as our Gen II Prius. We waited ... and waited, and then we did a bit more waiting. Both of our hybrids we bought used. Both had over 10K miles on 'em. Buying used, if there were going to be rattles, we KNEW that by 10K miles we either would, or would NOT hear rattles, or brake issues ... or what ever ... it would come about by then. Buying used, we saw the stock Integrity tires were horrible. We saw issues with the MFD's. We saw issues with snow/ice traction. We learned all this, and THEN took the plunge, anyway. We knew what we were getting. ALL new products are subject to issues. Still, it was worth it. And by waiting, we also got a huge price savings, to boot.

5. Spartane

Spartane Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, you've nailed most of the ones I cared about (although I bought white so I didn't think I needed the cooling offered by the sunroof option).

So true, and I still love it 5 months later. The car is just so smooth to drive in stop-and-go traffic.

OK

Yes, a minor issue. I've never bothered to connect mine up so for me it's not even a minor issue.

Nope, still just a collection of light fluffy cumulus clouds on a warm summer day.

It's not an issue if you know what to do about it. In the extremely unlikely chance that it might happen, you simply pull the shift lever to the left for about a second to shift the car into neutral and that's the end of the problem. But for the people who don't know this simple trick it's a major issue. And shame on Toyota for not programming the car to automatically limit the engine revs when someone is pressing hard on the brakes! Anyway, with knowledge, it's not a major issue.

Nope, just a light mist.

This hasn't happened to me at all, but it apparently has happened in at least a few of the cars. But as long as it's limited to reverse then it doesn't sound too serious, and it's probably something a dealer could fix if it's reproducible.

Nope, just a few dark clouds that go away when you shift into drive.

I wouldn't call it a rattletrap, but there are definitely rattles that are showing up in mine, and they seem to be getting worse. These seem most noticeable when I start out in the cold morning, and reduce as the car warms up. I'd guess that dealers may be better able to deal with them as information is collected, but there is also the distinct possibility that they may make matters worse. But remember that these are only an annoyance and in no way reflect on the reliability of the car.

Nope - just a little bit of distant thunder without any rain!

It seems that this is just the price you pay with the advanced anti-lock/anti-skid logic built into the braking system. On a slippery road or a road with potholes, the car can sacrifice braking distance for better driver control. In other words, drive carefully and leave a bit of extra space in front of you just in case you hit a pothole during the last few seconds of braking.

Nope, you're educated and you know how to deal with all of these issues (with the possible exception of the rattles).

It will most likely take 10 - 20 years before plug-in technology becomes reliable enough and cheap enough to go mainstream. Your Prius will most likely be worn out before then, so I'll argue that this too is a non-issue.

Let's hope that if we're still driving the car 8 years down the road and we need a new HV battery pack replacement, that we'll be able to retrofit an advanced electronic substitute with double the range (or maybe even a plug-in upgrade) for a lower price than today's packs are currently going for. But I think that it's more than a good bet that we'll probably need some sort of a new battery pack if we drive the car for much more than about 9 or 10 years.

If you plan to drive this car for 17 years then the simplicity of an ICE Honda Fit might be a less expensive choice.

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

indeed... sometimes reading forums can be misleading, as most people tend to talk about problems (which is perfectly normal). But this is true of any forum, go over to VW/Audi forums, and you will see a lot more issues being mentioned.

Comparing Gen2 and Gen3, including their problems, Gen3 has improved in every way IMHO. And Gen2 was one of the most reliable vehicles on the planet by many surveys. Truth of life is that every vehicle has its own set of problems, some have more, some have less... and none have none. Average vehicle has betwen 20 and 30 TSB's issued during its lifetime.

One point for instance - in Edmunds tests, Gen3 has vastly improved braking compared to Gen2 - 118ft vs 130ft... thats 10% better braking! Thats as huge as it could get. Yet, reading forums blindly might fool you into thinking how Gen2 has better brakes, while in real tests they now stop 12ft sooner!

2009 Toyota Prius Road Test and Video on Inside Line

2010 Toyota Prius Full Test and Video on Inside Line

7. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thank you for your observations and opinions, however on the forward braking issue I don't think that is acceptable. Sure you should always drive carefully, BUT with braking and stopping distance often there are too many unpredictable factors to simply say leave a bit of extra space in front of you just in case you hit a pothole during the last few seconds of braking. Braking often by definition happens suddenly and unexpectedly. Drivers should not be counted on or expected to compensate for a system that is not stopping the car in a consistent manner. Toyota needs to investigate this issue and employ a fix if possible. Leaving distance is nice, but in the real world others often dictate driving distance and potholes and slick spots are often not predictable.

8. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My apologies. I misread that sentence where you said you couldn't afford the car and then end up <insert what you actually said> in a few years.

You did start off with two non-issues which makes the "analytical" post seem a bit disingenuous. I've read posts about both of them and it's clear that the cargo net was handled and is no longer an issue and also that the mats have never been a problem for the 2010. So since you are telling me about the posts and you're not a newbie here it seems clear that you also know this information, so why did you bring those two things up? I didn't take it personally, I could care less what others think of the car or me for owning it, but not knowing your posts well enough to know "you" it really did feel like a set up since it wasn't exactly factual. And then you were already up to "yep it's a Storm" after having mentioned just those two things. And the fact that I've been spending time in the political forum rebutting gross misrepresentations and misinformation probably didn't help. ;)

But anyway... good luck in your decision. I wouldn't take the plunge unless you're really sure. I thought about the fact that there will be new technology right around the corner, especially since I drove my last vehicle for 14.5 years and don't expect to get another new car any time soon, but I absolutely knew I wanted a new car now and that the 2010 Prius was it.

9. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    comment deleted

1 person likes this.
  10. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

It's a car, a wheeled box to go from a to b. It isn't going to be perfect. Everything can be nit picked endlessly. It will get old and outdated while someone else has bought the latest thing. More and more in our throw away society, we are never satisfied with things that are perfectly adequate for the intended use.

11. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it's impossable to find a car, and then find forums for a car, and then find NOBODY complaining about anything about the car. If you can do all three of those things BUY IT. Even if they spent a million dollars on making each prius, there would still be people complaing.

You do have to note, That.
    1. There is no other car sold in the us that gets better than 50mpg, so if this is big to you, every other car ever made is lacking!!!
    2. If you want to put the smallest amount of smog in the air, then all other cars are lacking.
    3. The prius is the best car in alot of ways, but if you don't really car about those ways, just move on.

4. This car stops faster than anyother car i have ever owned. I feel very safe about the brakes and trust the car with my life. And one time i was slowing down hard and the pavement had a 3 inch drop so the car did switch from regen to friction, and for a verry small amount of time it kinda did feel like i lost brake power, but from reading on here i knew what was happing. It's part if how they are able to get 50 MPG. If you want the best brakes on your car, i would recomend reading motor trend/car and drive and get a sports car they stop really good and have no brake fade.

12. sdleo726

sdleo726 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A perfect storm of doubt = human nature.

Human nature being what it is... there are some people in this world who focus on the negative, and some who focus on the positive.

Doubt occurs when a person cannot, or will not make a decision on their own - for some rational or irrational reason.

Therefore, you end up with numerous PriusChat threads complaining about this or that... because people just want to complain, or to hear from others who will dissuade their fears and doubts.

Also in human nature, more people tend to complain about what they don't like versus proclaiming what they do like... such is the customer satisfaction issue, most people who respond have a complaint.

What most who complain fail to realize is the "pursuit of perfection" is just that... a pursuit that will never be attained.

So I ask... is this "Storm of Doubt" just another weather fluctuation that will pass, for sure. Will the OP ever buy a Prius... does it really matter?

1 person likes this.
  13. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is going to sound harsh in writing, but I really do not mean it to be: you're not suffering from "analytic patience". Many of us here are very analytical and bought -- and drive daily -- a 2010 Prius. You're suffering from perfectionism and "absolute worst case" syndrome.

Lithium Ion is cool, but it's not here yet. And if you want to worry about something, think that all of the exploding laptops and MP3 players you've read about over the last couple of years were due to their Lithium Ion batteries. Once Lithium Ion's out, you'll read about Lead-Iron, or Paper Polymer, or some other cool technology. Or you'll be waiting for totally EV, but that requires an infrastructure if you're to go farther than 40 miles or so.

The future comes and what you have will either be out-of-date but reasonable, or worse. Just like buying a computer: you wait a bit, perhaps, but if you need it you get it and know that in 18 months it'll be outdated, but still work fine for you.

You've blown "brake grab" way out of proportion. Most owners experience it a couple of times in the first few weeks of ownership, then never again. Issues like that sound larger than they are because it's people with problems who seek out forums like this. Not saying it doesn't affect some people more seriously but if you could dig into ANY car, you'd find people with problems more severe than most.

The pothole braking problem... I haven't experienced it once in 6,000 miles of city/suburban driving. Now that ice and snow is here, I've experimented with the anti-lock brakes and I'm persuaded that at least some of the issue is pure perception: the anti-lock brakes are absolutely invisible. You don't feel any pulsing, you don't hear any "grinding" or pulsing noise, they just operate. Which could make their operation surprising, though I simply don't perceive them that way. So I may have experienced it multiple times and not even known it.

Again, not saying that I'm the end-all-be-all. Others may be experiencing something different from me. There may be defects in some Priuses, or specific, narrow conditions under which the problem occurs. But it may be, to some extent, perception: while very real, it's not actually a safety problem.

You worry about the Toyota acceleration problem. It's caused by a gas pedal that extends too close to the floor. Not "too close" under most conditions, and either not using floor mats -- if you have non-standard ones -- or tie-wrapping them to secure them beyond doubt is obviously an instant solution. The Gen III Prius has a higher gas pedal and as far as I can tell is not affected, so it's a non-issue for you.

(The other factor is being unfamiliar with the car and how it shifts to Neutral or Off while in motion, but you do know this, rendering it doubly not a problem.)

I've gotta go and don't have time to answer every issue. All of them have been answered multiple times, but you seem to "worst case" these issues, and if that's the case, why drive a car -- they're death traps with tens of thousands of people dying every year in car accidents! I may be wrong, but it seems like you've been worried about any issue you could find since your first or second posting here.

If you're willing to drive at all, the Gen III Prius is a fun car that literally makes every drive I do fun. It's like driving a spaceship. It's not perfect -- I've started having a bit of dash squeak -- but as far as I can tell it's not inferior to other cars in its class and price range. (Talking about a 2010 Prius III... personally, the IV and V are beyond my range and include more options but not better fit-n-finish, which becomes an issue at the V level.)

There'll be gasoline and hybrids using gasoline for quite a few years, and right now, at this moment, they're cutting edge (and yet also well-established).

14. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Correct. The point is that it doesn't matter. I see the OP as an attempt to draw attention to the poster in the way a cat does by bumping against your leg or your hand. 'Hey you, stroke me.'

In the end whether the cat is stroked or the OP buys a Prius it has no effect on the world. We move on.

15. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Electric Me:

No pun intended, I know your not trying to get a "Storm" of nasty responses...your points well made. I, having a GEN 3, Model V, don't experience any of the issues mentioned.... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

So, having said that, I love the decision I made, to purchase the model I did. Does this model play any role?? I would hope not...but don't know for sure.

When I read some of the posts about the noises and squeaks and rattles....I wonder if my hearing has left me! I know it has not....but I can't explain why some people experience the things they do.

I read Consumer reviews all the time before purchasing items and I see commentary all over the board. From 5 Stars to 1 Star. I can't believe the spread sometimes.

I think as many have mentioned, you should hold on to your car at least for 1 year, weather this storm and I think you will find some new choices will be coming. You may actually be able to compare the long overdue chevy VOLT, to what's available in the Prius line at that time. Or the Ford Fusion.

Although the Prius is not 100% PERFECT, it's damn close and I think compared to what is at market today, it's a wise choice based on dependance on foreign oil.

I wish it was able to obtain even higher MPG's, but that is coming too.

I wish you luck in your search for the proper "VESSEL" to weather the storm! :)

1 person likes this.
  16. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This thread has become huge, so I wouldn't expect a lot of people to read the entire thing. But I think I've already answered that I never expected and do not expect perfection from any machine. However, I think people in this day and age should expect that their new cars brakes will brake in a consistent manner. I honestly just wanted feedback and if for most, as you are telling me, you don't think it's an issue or an endangering reality, fine that IS what I wanted to hear.

Much of the feedback I have gotten about technological advancement I also agree with, you can't stop it and ultimately it's never going to stop. So yes, like buying a Computer or an I-Phone or any piece of technology at some point you just buy what you want, and what fits your needs and use it, because there won't be a time when progression absolutely stops.

However, I do have some concerns in this arena. I think Lithium Ion is a lot closer than you think. It's going to be used in the Volt and it's even rumored to be the battery of choice for the proposed upcoming 2011 Toyota Prius stationwagon. My feeling is yes technology always advances but there are moments and times where you are on an edge or cusp of a big step. As far as Hybrids go, I think Lithium Ion could be a big game changer. Since Toyota has sold a million plus Prius in north america with Nickel Metal Hydride they are being "Coy" about timelines and implementation but I think it's closer than most people think, because I think it will improve the product. Lighter weight, increased charge, faster charge...Either way, if competitors start using Lithium Ion, Toyota will have to respond. If it's better, and I think it is, Toyota will have to respond to stay ahead of competitors. I think (admitted pure speculation) but I think we are 2-3 years away from when Lithium Ion becomes the standard for automobile battery technology in plug-in, hybrid and pure electric. How this affects the value of the previous generation of Nickel Metal Hydride battery automobiles? Remains to be seen.

I could be wrong, sometimes change comes fast, and sometimes it comes unexpectedly slow and a lot of this will have to do with business factors such as production infrastructure and cost. But Hybrid owners are in one way becoming victims of their own success. 10 years ago, you could buy hybrid with reasonable assurance that no commercial product was going to come on the market and compete with it. Now thanks to many of the people within this forum, Hybrid Owners, and Toyota's commitment to The Prius, the alternative automobile arena is a lot more alive and competitive. This is not a negative, but the truth is competition for Hybrids is coming from within and without. Whether that comes from improved battery technology, Clean Diesel Engines, or simply much more efficient ICE engines that borrow from Hybrid technology we will see, but this is a dynamic area in automobiles. If there was a clear cut future concerning this, I don't think you'd see Honda advancing Hybrid, Fuel Cell and Natural Gas simultaneously. Along with Volkswagen championing clean diesel. To me it reminds me of the early, early days of automobile production.

It's interesting to me that you almost have continental difference. With the US and North America embracing Hybrids...and Europe and Great Britain championing Diesel to a greater degree.

17. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    WOW you are really overthinking this. These are all minor issues and many are probably not issues at all, but characteristics of the HSD and are "corrected" with new HSD appropriate driving techniques. Also non of these are safety or major mechanical issues. Really the cargo net issue is affecting you purchase I find that incredible.

When you compare several of the documented problems with the VW Jettas TDI's.

1) Flywheel and clutch delamination on the Jetta that VW refuses to address
    2) Cam flattenting (rought idle/loss of power symptom) requires engine teardown and replacement
    3) Engine mounts defect
    4) Glow plug deterioration and failure which requires engine overhaul.

If you go to TDIclub, these and others problems are well documented. This is why I decided to go to two Prius and get rid of the TDI.

Each of the above issues on the Jetta require several thousand dollars of repair, that VW is not acknowledging or fixing. The issues you have risen about the Prius are very minor when compared to the Jetta. Actually when compared to the Jetta, the Prius has virtually no defects in the 2010.

1 person likes this.
  18. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Come on guys, I knew I'd take some criticism, but my original post is nothing more than what it is, which was an attempt to creatively put together real concerns I have about the 2010 Prius based on other threads I've read.

And really, every Post, or poster in here is looking for "attention" in the form of response. That's what communication is all about. Nobody posts a post with the "hope" that everyone ignores it.

But geesh, I'm not a "cat looking to be stroked" and Yes, whether I buy a Prius or not has no affect on the world (outside of my personal world), I never said it did. I don't hold any illusions that my post matters to anyone outside of myself. I did try to present it in a creative manner, I certainly hope that as adults we can move on...

I find it interesting that I've posted for months in this forum on many, many issues. Mostly defending or championing The Prius, but it becomes this one post where I consolidate some concerns about the 2010 Prius that get's me accused of Trolling and/or relegated and labeled as simply looking for attention like a spoiled cat. I would hope and I have received a lot of good feedback, direct answers as to owners feeling about the issues I brought up. Good/Bad or Indifferent I appreciate those responses.

Yes, I was looking for attention, in the form of responses, like any and all posters. Quite obviously if you find my OP ridiculous, or so offensive or disturbing or simply boring and not valid, feel free to ignore it. But there is a danger in finding opinion or information inwhich we disagree and simply labeling or relegating it to the sidelines by discounting the messenger or attaching motivation to that messenger that may or may not be valid.

19. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Successful troll is successful.

20. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No rattles or noises, almost to 1st oil change (4700 mi now).
    The dealer did not offer me a cargo net.

The "abrupt starting" can be eliminated with an extra pre-motion shift, so it is only dangerous if one does not know about it and does not compensate for it.
    Dealers should be required to warn owners in writing.

The chuckhole / skid "reduction" of braking is real.
    Until it is "fixed", one should compensate by leaving extra braking distance in slippery or bumpy conditions.
    Again, the dealers should warn users, to reduce "undisclosed feature" liability.

I like the 2010 Prius, and would buy again, but shop for price.

The Nav function works well where there is "detailed" coverage, but ... lacks some "modern" functions.