1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Pillar Blind Spot

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by MJ2005, May 26, 2017.

1. MJ2005

MJ2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    About the large blind spot with the A Pillars, how does it compare with Gen 3? Can someone who has driven both make a direct comparison? I have a Gen 3 and haven't found it to be too problematic, but I'm hearing so much about it on the Gen 4 that I'm wondering if it's noticeably worse?

2. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO, no worse.

RCO and wrprice like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it bothers me on the gen 3 in high pedestrian areas, where someone can be out of your site for a split second, as you accelerate.

kithmo and RCO like this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never noticed it - it's certainly better than many cars out there, including my previous FORD FIESTA which could lose a delivery van.

kithmo, RCO and bisco like this.
  5. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    +1

Not specifically due to the A pillar, but I think overall visibility is improved, IMO.

bisco likes this.
  6. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I haven't experienced any issue with the A pillar blind spots, which is something I can't say about my previous Renault Zoe which I often had to peer around.

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I've said this before on here somewhere, but blind spots are only there if you keep your head still and in one fixed position. Providing you move your head around slightly both ways you'll mitigate the blind effect of the A-pillar. My information comes from analysis of jet pilot near misses and mid air collisions - not by me, I should add, but the reports crossed my desk.

8. Chippingawayatlife

Chippingawayatlife Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You said it in reply to my post about not liking the A pillar. I nearly had an accident accelerating forward from a green light when a left turner made a last second left turn and was perfectly in line with my A pillar as I accelerated.

Ajourney101 and RCO like this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you tried raising the drivers seat? That helped us.

10. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Car designers could project an image onto the A pillar or have a screen there. Probably a high end car feature.

11. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I think the visibility inside the new Prius is excellent. IncludIng the A pillar. Toyota has made it more slender, the cowl is lower, the dashboard is lower, the windows are huge. Also that thick crossbar between that little triangular window and the front window has been slimmed down to a thin flat strip, giving us a clear open view of the road on the side. Gen 4 prius has trimmed the fat in so many areas, but that one feature helped me decide to trade up from my 2010.

kithmo likes this.
  12. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Gen4 and Prime seem to have a slight advantage in blind spot badness compared to the Gen3, which was terrible, IMO. tucatz, above, details the differences very well.

This was a concern of mine before I sat in a Gen4 a year ago. I was pleased that the situation had improved with lines of sight. If it hadn't, I'd probably be driving some other brand's car by now.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Several innovations in the pipeline (possibly)
    VOLVO

upload_2017-6-6_19-50-4.png upload_2017-6-6_19-50-28.png

Jaguar Land-Rover:

upload_2017-6-6_19-48-48.png

14. Tamaruni

Tamaruni New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I really really really want to believe what you said In This post, because it really would benefit me to be true. I do believe What you read in your reports. However, I recently purchased a car exactly like yours, a 2016 model, in black. It is lovely--absolutely a gorgeous phenomenon of architectural design... but I have almost had several BAD accidents in it---involving humongous objects fitting in that blind spot ... covered by what I assume must be the A pillar you guys are talking about. And this is with me checking my blind spot, peering left of the pillar both slightly and a lot, peering right of that pillar--both slightly and a lot---my neck is getting quite limber twisting to the right sooo far (true). Seriously, though, I have GOT to find a solution for this. It is a constant stressor. One day, I was having to cross to the right lane, and checked absolutely from every angle humanly possible as well as fastidiously checking all mirrors. Blinker on, and finally firmly concluding no one was in that lane, I changed lanes to hear an explosive screeching of tires that seemed to last for an absolute eternity. I stopped where I was. There the vehicle was, a great white SUV, having screeched to a stop behind me. The driver was so dumbfounded, so overcome, by the near calamity,--that their vehicle remained in place, not moving--probably recovering from the adrenaline rush at what almost happened. He could see fine what almost happened. I couldn't. All i can figure is, that lane seems to be going downhill--at a decline--so perhaps the other car, (being slightly higher than I), was even more hidden into that blind spot. All I know, I looked everywhere i could humanly look to check that blind spot. I need help. Although I'll always look over my shoulder to check into the blind spot, aren't there tiny mirrors or something???, that can be placed on my existing mirrors??? --- that are known to reflect the blind spots??

15. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think PRIUS is better than a lot out there - definitely better than my FIESTA, and better than the previous model. But I did notice that seat position makes a difference - it is better if the seat isn't too low, I have it almost at it's highest. But then - that depends on how tall you are as to how high you can set your seat.

A black car probably isn't as visible, so that could compound the problem a little. 3 cars ago, I had one which was dark grey - basically invisible to other drivers. I drove day and night with headlights on.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think when 4th Gen was revealed they said a-pillar blind spot was less than third. I think I've seen some pictures confirming that. Not a night and day improvement, but some.

Seems to me though, the rear corner visibility got worse?

alanclarkeau likes this.