1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Prius by any other name

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by samiam, Jun 12, 2007.

1. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

naming a car is a womans thing. I've never named any of my cars, though I have been known to pat the dash of my old Corolla affectionately after a long drive.

2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jun 13 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]460886[/snapback]</div>
    We have a semi feral cat that was found when he was about 4 weeks old. First cat that I ever saw spit. He's a little more tame but still gets very upset when touched. I keep telling my husband I'm going to break him (with love, that is). It's been four years...............

My car is named Pri Pri (pronounced pree pree) for a reason that's still not apparent to me 'til this day. I've never named any other car and I would've never fathomed that I'd ever do so.

3. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pria. :)

I think there is another thread with this topic.

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wiiprii @ Jun 13 2007, 01:54 PM) [snapback]461105[/snapback]</div>
    That's kinda sexist, especially since a lot of the people that have responded in this thread with their Prii's names, are men.

5. gail88

gail88 New Member

I call her my primobile, primo for short.

I just love this car :D

6. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Jun 14 2007, 09:03 AM) [snapback]461112[/snapback]</div>
    Ooops, sorry 'bout the redundancy. I hadn't come across that earlier thread, but it has been interesting.

I'm still waiting for my prius to tell me its name, I briefly considered Prudence (because of the alliteration and the Beatles song, but not the virtue), and lately "BOO" ('cause she's so quiet and sneaky).

I really like many of the names posted here

not upsidedown cake?

and no, its not a girl thing, even the most brutal racing motoxer I owned when young and stupid & macho had a name (penny).

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wiiprii @ Jun 13 2007, 03:54 PM) [snapback]461105[/snapback]</div>
    Not naming a car is a boring person's thing.

Patting a car...well, that's just weird. I'll refrain from making an auto-erotica joke, though.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I named him Priapus. Priapus is the Greek god of male fertility and is easily recognized by his unnaturally large phallus. The reason is simple: whenever I see a guy in a Hummer or a sports car, I assume they are compensating for some shortcoming (and when referring to a man's shortcoming, there's usually only one thing to question). So the way I see it, what kind of car would a man who needs no compensation drive? In other words, "what would Priapus drive?"

Priapus is the first car I've named.

9. interocitor

interocitor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kenoarto @ Jun 12 2007, 08:51 PM) [snapback]460551[/snapback]</div>
    2005 Prius: "PEARL POD" Color was Driftwood Pearl and I'm also a 2001 A Space Odyssey fan.

2007 Prius: "RUBY" Color is Barcelona Red and the NAV voice is female.

10. rachmaninoff

rachmaninoff New Member

MY priusChat name is the same as my prius's name. Priustoric

i could make up all sorts of reasons why i named it that. I chose the name because it was clever. sounds like prehistoric.

11. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jun 12 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]460447[/snapback]</div>
    I plan to name mine but am waiting for an inspiration--maybe something alliterative like "Pepe".

The only other car I ever named was my '69 Mustang in college--"El Cid" after the Spanish hero (I was a Spanish major)

My cat passed away a couple of weeks ago at age 16. Never fear, I have 4 dogs so if anyone needs pet hair... :p

12. TNPapa

TNPapa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Our Prius is named Prissy or sometimes it is named Snowflake. Named by our grand daughter.

13. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We are still waiting to find out the gender and personality of our Prius. Since it is so new, it isn't very awake yet... but, it's getting there :)

14. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< One previous post is quite correct... the "...name your Prius..." subject has been started several times in the past two or three years.... HOWEVER... that's no reason to NOT start a new thread what with all the new Prius owners on PriusChat.

I did, indeed, name both my 2004 Prius, traded for my 2007, and my 2007 Prius. 2004 was "Ernestine" and 2007 is "Ernestine Too." Both had, have the NAVigation voice-actuated system. If you remember Lili Tomlin's Laugh-In telephone operator character ( You know "One Ringie-Dingie, Two Ringie-Dingies. Have I reached the party to whom I'm speaking?" etc) Ernestine (the Prius) frequently returns totally unrelated, innane responses to verbal requests - like I will say "Go Home" and Ernestine will respond with something like "Showing Post Office Icons." Thus the moniker Ernestine.

I have always named my cars beginning with my first car in 1947 - a well-used 1931 Model-A 2-door sedan named "Gallopin' Gertrude."

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wiiprii @ 2007 Jun 13 1:54 PM) [snapback]461105[/snapback]</div>
    Nah...it's for people with imagination and humour.

16. KFERN

KFERN New Member

Turbo- for my Prius kind of funny.

17. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, our Prius told us his name yesterday.

It's Rudy.

I thought at first that it was after one of the former Governors of Minnesota (I used to live there), but he told me that it was for Rudolph Valentino..."because you will love me insanely forever"

18. johndoc01

johndoc01 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eclectcmoi @ Jun 13 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]461083[/snapback]</div>

Myself and Partner have named our PRIUS, DOOLEY as he is dual fueled, or Dooley fueled :lol:

19. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Fiona - she's a green princess (but not an ogre)
    Wanted something that sounded Gaelic or Irish.

I am recovering from bilateral knee replacement surgery so Fiona has only been driven once in the last month (last weekend when my daughter was visiting from out of town). I am definitely having Prius-withdrawal. It might be another 2-3 weeks before I can drive. I turned off the SKS for the duration. Can't wait to get back behind the wheel!

20. OwenKealy

OwenKealy New Member

I suggested "Shiva, Destroyer of Worlds" to my wife - she pointed out that with the low-emissions, it wasn't a very accurate name.

So for now it's "the Prius".