1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Prius by any other name

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by samiam, Jun 12, 2007.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I named my Prius Lightning McQueen after the star of Pixar's movie "Cars" because of the big smile on his face, that shows up better when the picture is crunched side to side, see my avitar.

2. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ive had names for all my cars,

Red Ford Ranger - Big Red (small truck haha)
    Blue Ford explorer - Bullet
    Green Ford Explorer - Buck
    Army Green Dodge Ram - Godzilla
    Yellow Ford Mustang - Dodge
    Grey Ford Mustang - Spirit
    Grey Prius - Tornado "Tor" for short!

Hubby said he won't name the black one, so i'll probably have to do that too!

3. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jun 12 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]460447[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know about anyone else. I am 74 and still remember taking Latin in Jr hi school, and Spanish, and German later on. Now. the Japanese claim to use the word prius from the Latin prius, which means before, and vaguely, 'former'. Now, I have studied languages enuff to know that i before another vowel is always pronounced as "i". I guess if Toyota is the biggest in its field, they can call anything JACK if they wanted.
    Just imagine, if this Prius thing does not sweep us out of this world, we will be calling the Pope Peeus, and
    not Pope Pius.

4. WFO

WFO New Member

"Lisa".

5. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Hmmm....interesting you ask!

For quite some time, I've had an affinity for the movie "Blade Runner". In the movie, there was a deadly, yet beautiful android named Pris; she was pretty advanced for what she was.

I've always referred to my vehicles as female. I'm a guy and I'm a Sailor, so, as Sailors call ships "she", so remains the tradition with my automobiles.

Put the two together, and there you have it. I named my Prius "Pris", because I regard my car as female, technologically advanced, and because she's beautiful :D

Oh, and speaking of naming cars, it goes back a ways for me:

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350: Xena, after the warrior princess
    1981 Volkswagen Scirocco: Claudia, 'cause it just stuck
    1991 Lincoln Continental: Connie, it was just too easy not too
    1994 Toyota HiLux Pickup: Kelly, because it fit well for some reason
    1999 Dodge Ram: Red Sonja, because she was big, bad, and tough
    2003 Dodge Intrepid: Cheyenne, because the color was close to the color of cayenne pepper
    1997 Toyota Tacoma: Evelyn, because the color was close to evergreen and I like the name Evelyn

6. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My first car, a '85 Plymouth (un)Reliant, did not have a name.

My second, an '86 Chevy Blazer was named "Beast" because of the beastly condition he was in when I bought him. His previous owner had gone off-roading into a swamp....rust, mold, goo, grime, inside and out....it was nasty. Had to imediately replace the engine and tranny as they were both rusted and full of "water" (read: yucky stinky liquid). Spent a month cleaning the ickies out of it. FYI, if a car is free, there's a GOOD reason why. Don't take it.

My third car, an '04 Acura RSX-S was named "Huk Sun Seen" (probably mis-spelled that) which translates roughly into Black Angel, from Cantonese. The car is black, and my name is Spanish for angel; so there ya go. This car is also male.

The Prius is my fourth car. I've had it only a week. Still trying to think up a name. Names must be chosen with care, to ensure they fit the car perfectly. :D

....and yes, all my computers have had names, too! LOL.

7. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Louise, for no good reason other than she feels like a Louise.

I haven't told my husband...he probably wouldn't get it. He hasn't named his truck. Although we did have a blue Dodge Caravan a while back that we called "the Poohmobile" since we had some Pooh window shades on it. I also called it el carro del Pooh.

And since we had twin babies at the time, the Pooh reference had a double meaning.

8. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

"The Grey Magnet"

Should be obvious why...mag gray color...

First car I ever named.