1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Prius ECT Spoofer MCU Controlled

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ccdisce, Jan 11, 2011.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Report from a happy end user Re: A Prius ECT Spoofer MCU Controlled

ccdisce kindly provided a kit to test and I have been using it for about two weeks without any problem. The kit comes with everything that I need for installation: board with plug, cable with matching plug, and 3 taps to tap into the ECU wires. This version has an on/off switch in addition to two LEDs, one of them multicolor. The board looks very professionally made. The size of the board fits well in one of the blanks next to the dimmer switch. My clumsy installation hardly do any justice to the beautiful board but here it is:

[​IMG]

The lighting of the LEDs are well thought out to indicate the current operating mode. For example blue (upper) and flashing green (lower) means actively spoofing. Red (upper) and solid green (lower) means temperature is higher than ~ 170F so no spoofing. Yellow(upper) and solid green (lower) means temperature too low to spoof. Since I always have my PriiDash running I don't pay too much attention to the LEDs but they are definitely nice to have. The switch allows the user to turn on and off the spoofing function and the LEDs go into a different flashing pattern when the switch is in the off position.

I was told that if I unplug the ECU plug to tap the wires I may get check engine light that will go away in a couple of on/off cycles. In my case I did not get the check engine light.

I collected data with the spoofer in action. Here are some examples:

Initial test: the switch is working! I could be sitting there turning it on and off for hours. So much fun!
    [​IMG]

First real drive: I played with the switch one more time. At the end of S1 we see the "S4 ceremony" indicated by the RPM pattern around 900 ~ 1000 RPM. The car is in S4 before I back out of the driveway. Yeah!
    [​IMG]

iceT and wT come from two different CAN IDs and we used to think they represent two different sensors. But it looks like they are both affected by the spoofer so they may be coming from the same sensor after all. Sometimes we see a much delayed change in iceT and we don't know why:
    [​IMG]

Can you tell what happened here?
    [​IMG]
    Answer: initially the influx of hot coolant from the thermos brought the temperature up high enough to start spoofing. After the engine started, mixing and conduction brought the temperature back down to stop spoofing. Then the temperature gradually climbed back up to start spoofing again.

This is a puzzle worth a million dollars. It looks like S1 was completely skipped. The engine went directly to the S4 ceremony and then stopped. It only happened once and I don't know why. We can save a lot of fuel if we figure out what triggered this condition.
    [​IMG]

Any questions? :)

Meg&Bear, mrbigh, dave77 and 2 others like this.
  2. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    None.

Million $ answer?

I read on PC that the Prius ECU should go directly to S4 when the ICE is started above a certain temp esp for Gen 3.

One of earler versions of the ECT_Spoofer would fake the temp on Power_On to around 200F and would kick the Fan on for about 1/2 sec.

On the latest rev of HW and FW during boot one maybe able to drive the THW to about .2V and hold it there for the 4 flashes of the green LED. it would probably bring the Fan on , taking it lower may bring on warning lights and maybe even a Check Engine light too as the ECU may think that its THW is shorted to GND.

ccdisce.

Meg&Bear and dave77 like this.
  3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do know if the temp is above 157F when you start your car S1 only lasts about 30 seconds. If your stopped at around the 30 second mark I think you go into S4.

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I am not sure about the 30 second thing. From the data I showed above it looks like it is looking at the CAT temps - it goes to idle check when one of the CAT temps reaches about 113F (45C). That could take 30 or 60 seconds depending on the environment. Thus the idea of a CAT temp spoofer.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  6. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the cat could have something to do with it. I dont monitor that temp plus I've been using a block heater for years.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  7. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yes I see shorter warm up times when the EBH was used (with or without ECT spoofer).

8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Had another S1 skip this morning. ICE started up and went directly to S4 idle check. Really wish it would happen every morning but still no clue what triggers it.

9. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    bump
    what we need is a wire going to the ICE ECU .. i hope that somewhere is a ICE start wire?
    but maybe not.. its a HSD so it will al be Canbus controlled....
    but if we could sence the ICE start from the ICE ECU then based on that we could spoof the temp
    PRIUS on = temp spoof full...
    then ICE start for any reason ( kickdown? ) the temp. spoofing wil stop.
    this way when you have a trhu plugin and can do a full EV drive to "work?" and back your ice wil not run..
    there is no need to run the ice to warmup if your not going to use it! it wil only pollute unnecessary

maybe there is a 12volt fuel pomp wire? it wil be active when the ice is started

10. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is a fuel pump wire that you can put a toggle-switch on. That is one of the earliest hacks, making the Prius think it is out of gas, so it will go 53 mph on battery, I think the mph limit being MG1 RPM.

By the way, with warmer temps, and ccdise's chip, my MPG is at 58 right now... I highly recommend this device, whether or not you have a PHEV

11. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    one of the earliest hacks... but also the out of gas used today?
    maybe there is some new found info about the ice start signal wire? that can be cut?

is there a problem with the cat. temp. and long term damage to the cat. of it wil not heat up to its full potential or with it still heat up to max temp even with the ICE skipping Stages.? using that board?

12. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did install take long time wise? Are you stilling get higher mpg ? city/hwy

1 person likes this.
  13. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I am not experienced in taking the dash apart and fiddling with the bundles of wires and connectors inside, plus I wanted to be careful not doing it wrong, so it did take me a long time to install. But the time spent is worth it for me. I gained experience and a sense of achievement - like many other projects. I haven't done a rigorous comparison of MPG with versus without the ECT spoofer, but having the convenience of entering S4 just during warm up (during warmer months) or soon after warm up (when it's cold out) is so much better than before that I would never go back (to the days without the spoofer).

2 people like this.
  14. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any updates
    I would be willing to "buy" and "try" if can be arranged?
    Just kinda worried about install. I have also seen "mrbig" aka "dual power" posting images with a led combo(potentiometer) thing..
    So I am unsure with this thread and his link

15. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You need to write to Winston aka ccdise to buy one. I highly recommend buying one if you are not already an Arduino or microcontroller junkie.

2 people like this.
  16. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea
    I am not sure "how" "contact" that works.

17. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  18. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  19. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have also been lucky enough to acquire one of these ECT Spoofers (courtesy of ccdisce) and it is great. I go from S1-S4 in about 2 blks w/ these temps (60-80 F). This is a very well designed hack and it has been perfected. I've been testing it for about 2 weeks now and I'm still learning how to use it but, my mpg has been slowly creeping up from 48.3-50.3 (on the MFD) over the past 250 miles or so. No more 25-30 mpgs in the first 5 minutes. Now I'm seeing about 35-40 consistently. I have had no DTC's set. In watching the ICE temp on Torque, once it creeps past 113 F, bam, spoofing to 168-172 F. Stop for 7-10 sec's at the next convenient spot and bam, idle check to S4.

Once I learn how to use it better, I will post real mpg results for all who are interested. I think this will be an excellent addition to my upcoming PIS 4kw DIY install (batteries rcvd, waiting for add'l components).

All credit to ccdisce for perfecting it, Bob wilson for thinking of it, The Force and jtscd for their intermediate work. I hope I didn't leave anyone out.

20. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How long have you had yours ?