1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Prius story at 180k miles, first post

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by possumcar, Jun 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. possumcar

possumcar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought this car back in 2017 for what I thought was a steal, I still think it was. Car had 66k miles on it and was a one owner. When the salesman opened the hood the first time I could hear the tell tale rattle of the things the mice had dragged into the hood. He acted like he didn’t know what I was talking about when I mentioned it, I asked him, “do the mice come with the car? or do I have to pay extra”? I got the car for $9,300. Anyways, after buying the car I was checking things out and the mice made it into the airbox but not past the air cleaner. No big deal, I bought a aluminum extruded gutter guard and put in there, problem solved. Had to drill holes in the bottom of the battery tray because it would hold water.

I didn’t have any problems at all for a while, replaced the plugs and front and rear brakes and rotors myself around 85-100k miles. After a lot more miles I can still hear both struts shake and make noise when I go over bumps. Recently at 180k I have another set of new tires Bridgestone ecopias, last set I got about 80k miles out of them. Replaced the plugs too last week along with cleaning the EGR system, it was 100% blocked. I tried brake cleaner and it did little to help. So I got out the industrial pressure washer and turned down the pressure with the zero degree tip and worked on the EGR for about 20 minutes. Turned out about like new and 100% clean now. Put it all back together and the fuel mileage improved but now there’s an odd engine shake at certain rpms. Whatever then.

also ever since the car hit about 100k miles it burns oil like crazy. I used to change it religiously with 0w20 and then after the burning started I started using 5w30, that got expensive so now I’m running rotella diesel oil 15-40 it’s about $3 a quart. No issues running that oil it seems, I may decide to run a thinner oil when it gets cold again. Also last summer I cleaned the battery fan, it was really dirty.

the story gets crazier when I find mouse droppings inside the car. I have never had problems with mice whatsoever, I don’t leave food or anything they would like to eat or nest with. So I set a trap on the first night and caught the mouse. Just because I felt like it, I reset the trap and ended up catching a second mouse on the second night. I set the trap again and caught a third mouse. That’s three mice in 3 days. Not sure why or how they were entering the car. I had to tear everything apart and deep clean the car. This was about two weeks ago.

About two months ago one of the pneumatic gas supports blew out so now I have a nice stick I use to prop up the trunk. This car is rough around the edges and is very mechanically sound. I don’t really want to put any more money into this car at this point, I may do the struts it’s if I find the time.

between the price of fuel and how many miles I have driven this car it’s paying me back at this point, it’s been a good car and I have no complaints except the oil burning issue. Nothing I can do about that.

I have lots of other stories, like almost ripping the front bumper off twice, the “stitches” of zip ties holding it together and the time I had so much lumber on the roof rack that the fender well ripped clean off on the highway. All the times I had to don the snow chains to get out of a situation. The times I have used it as a truck hauling things like cement, lumber and all my tools. Or when I drove 1200 miles to Florida with two boats on the roof rack at 80mph the whole way (got 32mpg).The glove box now has barrel latches to hold it shut after the latch broke for some reason.

It would be a great candidate for r/justrolledintotheshop but you will never see this car at a mechanic. I would drive it to California tomorrow if I had to. Here’s to many more reliable years.

Attached Files:

#1 possumcar, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  2. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Unfortunately, oil consumption is a known issue with the Gen3 Prius....along with other issues like blown head gaskets, plugged EGRs, etc...

And I also had a mouse issue...the damned things *ate part of my seat covers* during the winter a couple years ago. The full saga here :

Had my first Wth moment - Varmit ate thru seat cover! | PriusChat

possumcar likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You are lucky if you have not had a brake booster or inverter failure in 180k miles. I would put out some rodent poison before they start eating the wiring harness. On these cars harness shorts and opens can be worse than the oil burning or resulting bad catalytic converters and head gaskets.

I know it seems like using off viscosity oil is the thing to do and you "can't do anything about the oil burning", but that is not true. Change the engine on your terms and not in an emergency situation. Some get rebuilt engines installed for as little as $3,500. Or sell it while you still have a runner and its worth something.

possumcar likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

who can complain at 180k?

all the best (y)

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you've effectively sealled the cabin air intake, chances are they're coming in through the flaps below hatch floor, one at each corner.

Thanks for the EGR condition report, and hopefully you didn't leave the EGR cleaning too late; it has been leading to head gasket failures. 100K is the latest I'd want to leave it.

Excellent avatar. (y)

possumcar likes this.
  6. possumcar

possumcar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the replies. Well, yes I never got around to the egr until recently. I didn’t know it could be that bad. As far as any major problems, I have not had any. As far as selling
    While I’m ahead, in the current market I can’t really afford to upgrade. I was actually looking at some newer 3yo or so cars with low miles but at the time the cost would have been astronomical. At this point I have run this car into the ground, it’s not worth much and I don’t really see putting any major money into it other than needed maintenance items.

I forgot to mention I replaced the AGM battery yesterday. I was in the middle of nowhere and I put it in accessory mode and in less than 10 minutes the cars lights flickered and then it died. I could not start the car and I had to get a jump. But hey, the original AGM lasted 12 years or so. Not complaining. Also since putting about 500 miles on the car since the egr refurbish I’m averaging close to 46mpg with very mixed driving, that’s about what I have been getting since I bought the car in 2017.

it’s the possum car because it’s possum shaped! Ever see the Red Green show? They had a “possum van” it was a primer grey van with a face spray painted on the front haha. I always think of that.

at the very least I have towing insurance, so it can be towed back to my house. If it gets totaled I’m going to the wrecking yard and taking the onboard battery and the new AGM I just put in. I’ll sell the hybrid battery for $1000 or whatever to someone. I had it checked a while back at the dealer and it tested just fine. Won’t the wrecking yard be surprised to find the battery missing! I thought about buying another gen 3 just like it. Last summer a Prius identical to mine with 110k and pristine condition sold in about 3 days for full asking price of $6,300. I thought that was a little high and that was last year yet. I considered buying it so I could have a parts car laying around, even the same color! I wasn’t willing to pay that for it, I felt it was worth maybe $5,000, but we’re living in strange times I guess. Glad you like my possum avatar.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.