1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A problem after changing the hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rahem Abdennadher, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Rahem Abdennadher

Rahem Abdennadher New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

So I changed the hybrid battery one week ago in my 2005 Prius. it was the cheapest option I could find. it costed me $350 and it is warrantied for only 3 months (I couldn't afford anything more expensive because where I work is slow due to the corona virus).
    The car was fine until yesterday, I was driving it, and that red triangle light turned on with the ABS light, and a VSC light) but no change in the behavior of the car was noticed, like when the hybrid battery needed to be changed. Also when I needed to change the hybrid battery the check engine light was on adding to the three lights mentioned above.
    However, I parked the car, I turned it off, and tried to turn it on again, but it didn't turn on. The dashboard turns on with all the notifications possible except maybe two or three that didn't.
    So, what do you guys think, would it be the regular 12 volts battery, or another issue ?
    The Picture shows what I get when I try turning the car on.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    possible. take it to an auto parts store for a free load test.

George W likes this.
  3. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I realize money is tight. If you have an Android phone, $12 for a Bluetooth code reader and a free smart App (like Torque Lite, Hybrid Assistant, or Dr. Prius) would give you so much more useful information, and allow you to reset an error code without having to disconnect the 12V battery.

#3 George W, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You have a high voltage isolation fault. It is the ONLY RTOD fault that will trigger, allow you to keep driving normally and then prevents the car from restarting after it has been shut off.

Most likely from a low quality HV battery rebuild. Big surprise.

All you need to do to reset it is disconnect the 12v battery for a minute. Then you can drive the car gain. If/when the fault triggers again, you'll need to disconnect the battery again. Rinse and repeat as needed.