1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A purchase strategy for a specific car

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by MitchR, Nov 24, 2016.

1. MitchR

MitchR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, here's my thinking. I want a Prius with ATP and would strongly prefer the blind spot monitors, so that pretty much means I should get either a 2016 Four with ATP or a 2017 Four. I also prefer the color blue but that isn't a deal breaker. There is a car at a local lot that I noticed recently. It is a 2016 Four with ATP and PCP and is blue. I really don't want the PCP and certainly don't think it's worth paying for (just my preference). The Four with PCP seems to be the least popular of a model that has terrible sales numbers.

I saw on Cargurus.com that this car has been on the lot for 126 days. It's Thanksgiving, the new 2017s are already on the lot and November sales figures will be announced in a few days. I wonder if I could negotiate it so they give me the car and throw in the PCP for free. I would try to get them to $25k or below. Too bold? I'm willing to try. It would be an awesome car. Would love to hear what others think.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't think of any reason not to. it's not like you can insult them.

Kramah313 and MitchR like this.
  3. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That would be about $8k below the retail price. They'd really have to want to get rid of it. It would really be helpful to know what the dealers have to pay for their inventory (the real invoice amount, not the one they show to customers.)

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Make your offer to the dealer's internet sales division. If it is too low they will say if you can find one at that price elsewhere buy it.

Have you looked at pricing through AAA or truecar.com?

5. MitchR

MitchR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to the dealership today and test drove the car I want. It's a 2016 Prius Four with ATP and PCP. My wife and I both loved the car. We particularly loved the HUD. Very cool and useful. We also loved the blind spot monitors. This particular car has been on the lot for 128+ days. They asked us the question of what would have to happen to get us to buy the car today, and I said there was nothing they could do today. But we said we were very interested. I said I wanted a car with ATP but said I specifically didn't want PCP. I said I thought it wasn't necessary and that I wouldn't want to pay for it. The manager said to keep an open mind about this car. He said I may not have to pay for the PCP, which is EXACTLY what I was hoping he would say. He said multiple times that he would make me a really good deal on the car. I'm playing a somewhat risky game by waiting. But we won't be able to make a purchase until at least the middle of December, and at that point we may as well wait until the end of December to see how that helps our bargaining. The sales associate that took us on the test drive said unprovoked that she had sold 8 cars this month and needed to sell 10. I believe I can get a great deal. Of course I hope no one swoops in and buys it before i'm ready to buy. Michelle, to your point, yes they would have to come down $8,000. Given that this is a car that has been on the lot 128 days, that it's the least popular trim level with the least popular set of options, that it is the end of the month and end of the calendar year for the model, I feel like the deal is possible.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    go back on wednesday.

7. MitchR

MitchR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do dealers ever give you a rebate AND 0% financing? I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain about how all this works. Unfortunately, I went in to a dealer today and basically made a fool of myself with an offer that was way too low. What I don't understand about the game is that there are rebates, but then there is also a negotiated price. It seems like the rebates are meaningless. Pretty discouraged and kicking myself. I was totally polite and non confrontational the whole time, but the sales manager definitely got angry at me. That's on him and I probably won't go back to that dealer, mostly out of pride. After all the reading and researching I've done, I still don't know how to come up with an offer that has a reasonable chance at being accepted.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do dealers ever give you a rebate AND 0% financing?

Yes. It all depends on the structure of the rebate. It could be $1000 OR $500 with 0% financing through Toyota.

How much does the dealer have to contribute toward the financing? The financed price could be higher than the cash price.

In NJ manufacturer rebates are deducted from the total cost after taxes as if it is a separate payment. (It is a separate payment as you could have Toyota mail a rebate check to you.)

The negotiated price is what you (all) have agreed to pay for the car plus taxes and BS fees.

How close to the truecar price was your offer?

Turn the situation around. How would you feel if the dealer started at MSRP + $5000?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mitch, you have it right. toyota is offering the rebate or financing. you can't have both (from them). the dealer can lower the price as far as they need/want to, to make a sale. you can't offend them, they're completely heartless. in a couple years, you'll be able to get $5,000. off, (unless gas goes up) but for now, the deals are what they are.