1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Q about Techstream Use

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusrecon, Aug 16, 2022.

1. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last month I got a Techstream setup off of EBay, with software, and a USB cable.

Do you have to be connected to the internet in order to use Techstream? Or does it work offline?

Mine does not behave, at all, like all the posts here, and YouTube videos describe it should....

thx,

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a dealer installed Panasonic CF19 toughbook from a dealer with text stream that was already put on it by the dealer or by Toyota when this dealer went out of business the person downloaded all the updates from Toyota direct with his key and put it on a big file on this computer and then sold it to me when you turn on text stream after the computers running and text stream starts to run a window is going to pop up and ask you to enter your Toyota key like if you worked in the service department or were a parts person you would have access to a key that you could type in at this time and that will put you in the online connected to Toyota mode which means when you plug the veci cable to the car . The tec stream window opens and lets you select your car and options and all that and then when it goes over to the next screen you are all set when you run your I can't even think of the names of all the things but when you run your check it'll immediately tell you whether all of your ECUs and all that nonsense are up to date and the ones that are not will show in red and show the firmware number that you need to be upgraded to. But if you don't have a key you can't get online and you cannot get these latest updates but have no fear I have them all through late 2021 I believe so if you need the file I would be happy to send it or whatever but that's generally how my dealer unit works I would think the hack copies would be very similar

#2 Tombukt2, Aug 16, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2022
  3. 2ndgenbestgen

2ndgenbestgen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It works entirely offline.

Does not behave? That doesn't explain anything/

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes it works offline and it tells you in red that you are in the offline mode and that you will have limited usability in the offline mode meaning it can't scan Toyota for updates obviously because we don't have a key and we don't work for Toyota or pay money and get a key for two or three days or whatever these people are talking about I never heard of such nonsense I don't care if you're using a hacked version or not. Makes no difference to me I don't think it makes much difference to Toyota either I don't see them running out to courts all over the country and suing people for people using text stream to service their car.