1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Q for you techie guys, dealership can't answer this....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusrecon, Sep 14, 2017.

1. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2006 Toyota Prius with 126,000 miles.

This spring my red triangle came on along with a bunch of dash lights. The SOC meter then became
    erratic and the engine would cycle on and off erratically while the car idled at stoplights.

Took it to mechanic, who
    checked the computer and found only one error code: "Replace HV Battery"....no other codes. Other
    than that one code thrown, he found no other errors or problems with the car. He said this incident
    was probably brought about by the car sitting unused for weeks while I was overseas, and to just
    drive the car.

So I drove the car, the triangle and dash lights went away, and the car drove fine until last week
    (about 6 months).

Then the same thing happened. Took the car to the dealership, and they got the "Replace HV Battery"
    code again. When pressed, they (the dealership service technician department) COULD NOT tell me what
    that code really meant....they didn't know, just that there was something wrong with the battery and
    it needed to be replaced. Quite frankly, this level of ignorance surprized me coming from a big
    sprawling Toyota dealership technical service department.

What does that code mean?

Is that problem one that could potentially be fixed by a cell replacement procedure, or is it
    definitely a "throw the whole HV battery out and get a new one" type error code?

I'm thinking of ordering a remanufactured batt from one of those online refurbishing companies
    and installing it. Anyone have opinions on those companies which ones are the best?

Thank You,

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think maybe "Replace Hybrid Battery" means....it's time to Replace The Hybrid Battery.
    It's not the cheapest cost option, but I would recommend just getting a new OEM Toyota Hybrid Battery.

M in KC and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you have the code, could you post it?

valde3 and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It's most likely the general P0A80=replace hybrid battery. It has become weak and unbalanced. If it hasn't already, the next code(s) to come up will be tell them what module(s) has/have failed.

See the link in my signature below for what I did.

#4 fotomoto, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    m.wynn and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just talked to dealer again....told me these codes:

B1421 (older history code)
    P3000
    P0A80

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BINGO! P0A80 =Replace Hybrid Battery. You have an 11 year old battery, typical life expectancy is 10ish. You got your time's worth. IF the vehicle is worthy of a replacement battery I highly recommend to just let Toyota put a brand new HV battery in for you and be done with it. Don't be tempted by the lower cost rebuilt/remanned batteries.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whatever you do, don't buy a DORMAN battery. They are repaired by elementary school students and then painted orange after

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can replace a cell, install a rebuilt or install a new battery. it depends on your budget, how long you intend to keep the car, and what reliability you are looking for.

GrGramps likes this.
  9. Lesk_The_Glut

Lesk_The_Glut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, dealer mechanics are simply parts changers. They wouldn't know, or even want to know, how to really diagnose traction battery issues.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.