1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A question about efficient use of A/C in the Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Pdog808, May 19, 2017.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Which is why when the Gen 3 rumours were circulating, there were headlines of "Next Prius to hit 100 mpg!"

35.5km/L was the target FE number for Japan which, when translated to Europe (where the reports first emerged), translates to 100 Imp. MPG. Of course the U.S. tabloids got a hold of it and forgot to convert back to US mpg and just reported that the Gen 3 Prius was targeting 100 mpg. o_O. There were several threads on PC discussing this.

2. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With car companies getting into trouble for overstating MPG numbers (Hyundai, Honda) I think Toyota wanted to play it safe. Remember, Toyota originally put "22" as the magic number, the EPA came out with "25". That number changes drastically depending on speed, as others have pointed out. When I started out today, mine said exactly "30" yet I only got about 22 in the end, because it was mostly high-speed freeway driving (I was late to something -- normally I drive slower). Japanese speed limits are much slower, and generally there are much more start and stops and winding roads (even on their expressways), very different than our nationwide-stretching straight, flat freeways (like the "10")..

3. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Commenting on slow speeds. This car would do fantastic in Hawaii (Honolulu). Highway and most freeway speeds top out at 45-50 MPH (yeah I know that the H-3 and some parts of the H-1 are 60 MPH and that is the HIGHEST speed limit on the island and it's only for like 7 miles). Most town and city limit speeds are 25 mph. Unsynchronized traffic lights result in stop and go city traffic that is easily worse than anything SoCal can throw out.

The one advantage that Honolulu has over Los Angeles is that in LA you can be in stop-and-go traffic for 10 miles In Honolulu, the pain is concentrated but usually over in a mile or three. Then you are either home or you hit the next traffic snarl.

Oh yeah - and Hawaii usually has the highest gas prices in the nation. Electric rates are pretty high also, unfortunately (it's a monopoly over there).

4. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I finally was able to use the A/C for an extended period today on battery only.

Drove 18 miles down the freeway to hell (otherwise known as the 405) in rush hour traffic. Stop and go speeds with nothing above 20 MPH for about 80% of the trip. A/C setting was set at Auto for 75 degrees just about the whole way down.The fan setting was at the second detent (that was what "Auto" chose so I stuck with it - comfortable for me).

Battery usage started at 100% and I ended up with about 52% left at the end of the trip. The efficiency of the car (at low speeds) and the A/C system is simply astounding.

NOTE: Rush "hour" in this case was at 3:00 PM and I was in the car pool lane. People outside the carpool lane were either at the same speed or worse. Welcome to LA :)