1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A question about Lane Keep Assist

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusRos, Oct 30, 2009.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a Package IV so am unable to have what seem to be really neat features like dynamic radar cruise control and lane keep assist. But I was talking about this just now and it suddenly occurred to me... how does lane keep assist know the difference between you inadvertently drifting off course and purposely trying to change lanes?

As I said, since I don't have this feature, I'm asking purely out of curiosity.

2. robinson

robinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    if you use the blinker, it turns off for a few seconds. If you don't.... you have to fight a little to change lanes. Also, beeps like mad when you do that.

3. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ah-ha! So, it's linked to the turn signals! Thanks for the info.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, a quick flash deactivates it for a few seconds. Like mentioned, you can also make a lane change w/o using the signals but it will try to bump you back on course in the process and beep at ya'...

5. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd imagine that could get pretty annoying and you'd learn to use the signals every time!

6. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    robinson is 100% CORRECT, using the Turn Signal tells the LKA NOT to implament an alert when you drift across a lane stripe, and also NOT to invoke the tactle steering feedback under that same condition.

FYI, it is LKA when used in conjunction with the DRCC, and when used by itself, it's called LDW (Lane Departure Warning), and best I can tell, there's really NO difference between the two.

As has been mentioned on some other Threads, the LKA takes some adjusting to, it requires a relatively light touch, or you tend to feel like you're fighting it. Once you've gotten used to it, it performs REALLY well.

David (aka Blind Guy)

7. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does the LKA just beep at you, or does it actually try to steer you back into your lane?

8. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi PriusRos!

Well it will actually help to steer the wheel in the correct direction. It's a really great feature especially on a long trip when you get fatigued. But I find it useful more and more, especially when leaving work late at night.

In one of the Prius reviews recently it actually showed the driver not touching the steering wheel. I would not perform that, but it is still a great feature.

Bob

9. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    * YES, as Paradox said, it attempts to gently nudge you back into your lane.

David (aka Blind Guy)

10. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    David (aka Blind Guy)

11. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

You can feel pressure on the wheel as it tries to nudge you back into the lane but you can easily add more pressure to make the system cut out and just make the lane change.

12. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds a little weird...

13. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, sounds weird and is weird at first, but the system does what it was designed to do... I really am glad I got the AT package.

14. snowsystem

snowsystem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I think that I would like the Lane Keep Assist but couldn't live with NVH of the low profile tires.

15. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    * tHE lOW pROFILE tIRES ON THE pRIUS v ARE SURPRISINGLY COMPLIANT, AND WITH THE PROPER TIRE PRESSURES, CAN HAVE A very COMFORTABLE RIDE.

The tire pressures are the trick, if you're a Hyper-Miler, and are shooting for maximum milage, using HIGH tire pressures with these Low Profile tires can be quite uncomfortable, if you use factory recommended pressures (or slightly above), they can give a reasonably normal ride.

I will, however, qualify this statement by saying there IS a significant difference between tire brands. I have the Michelin's, and they are EXTREMELY sensitive to increases and decreases in tire pressures. The Bridgestone's, on the other hand, have been reported to be running with pressures of 44psi and still having a good ride.

Don't let the Low Profiles be a dismissive factor in your decision, go test drive a V, make sure the tire pressures are NO higher than 35psi front and 34psi rear, and judge for yourself!

David (aka Blind Guy)

16. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had the same concerns but haven't found it to be a problem. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would be happy to swap their 15" wheels with you if you discover otherwise, or don't want to live with the mileage hit!

17. snowsystem

snowsystem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Tough decision; love the V w/ tech package but then no sun roof. Also much prefer the look of the 17" wheels but as I approach old man hood would prefer the comfort of 15" wheels and two more inches of rubber.

Pete

18. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why would the added rubber give you comfort?? I have the V and love it. I am in a snowy region as well here and don't seem to think it will be a concern based upon the handling commentaries I have read.

The added safety benefits of the V would be something that would outweigh 2" of rubber.

DYNAMIC RADAR CRUISE CONTROL
    LANE KEEP ASSIST
    17" WHEELS/TIRES
    INTEGRATED FOG LAMPS
    AUTOLEVELING LED HEADLAMPS w/WASHERS
    PARK ASSIST - More Novelty

I feel the above outweigh the 2" of rubber. ;)

19. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don't forget one of the most IMPORTANT safety features:
    * PCS (Pre-Collision System

David (aka Blind guy)

20. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a V and think the ride quality is fine, and the Prius replaced a Lincoln LS. I have Toyo A20s, and I think they may be a bit noiser than a V with Michelins I test drove back in July but the ride is about the same. The V's LKA and DRCC (among other items) are real pluses, so as David suggests, if you're thinking about one but are hestitant because of the wheels, drive one and see for yourself.