1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A question about voltages

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by John Zelkowski, May 5, 2018.

1. John Zelkowski

John Zelkowski New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm new to these forums and i am a first time prius owner. I bought an 06 Prius about 6 months ago off a guy who had replaced a couple cells in the hybrid battery. I drove it for almost two weeks and got a red triangle and my battery meter was at 1 bar purple , however it charged back up and seemed fine still had a triangle though. The next morning started the car and no triangle and the car ran like a champ for 4 months untill a couple of days ago the triangle came back and the battery meter is stuck on 2 pink bars and it won't charge , the fan is also running and i got the P0A80 code. After watching a ton of videos on youtube i succesfully removed the battery without any problems and i tested all the cells without load and got these numbers. does cell 1 and 28 look fishy? Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes.

Load test them.

John Zelkowski and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not particularly. You can’t really glean too much from an open current voltage (OCV) test. You may spot a module with one or more failed cells as it will be 1.2 V ( or a multiple thereof) lower than the rest.

As suggested by edthefox5, a load test of all the modules will be more productive and tell you more about each module.

Once you weed out all the weak modules and then find suitable replacements (that match with the remaining modules), you will need to do some charge/discharge cycles to balance all the cells within each module. Follow that with a final charge.

John Zelkowski likes this.
  4. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

The end modules tend to run a tenth of a volt under the rest. So module 28 is not showing unusual voltage but module 1 is 2 tenths below the rest. Number 8 looks suspect being well above the rest. As others have said you need to load test the modules.

Too bad you already took your battery apart. It's just so easy to test the batteries while they are still in the car. All that is required is a $20 bluetooth OBDII reader and a free Android app. Torque is one that will work. Hybrid Assistant and Hybrid Reporter are just amazing.

Here is just a small portion of what Hybrid Reporter can show. In this battery block six contains the failed module.

hr1.jpg

hr2.jpg
    hr3.jpg

SFO, John Zelkowski and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. John Zelkowski

John Zelkowski New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you for the replies and info. I got to say I was a little overwhelmed with all this electronic stuff , pretty much all new too me. I can do basic home wiring , but this is all alot for me. So I was frustrated and noticed the buss bars where nasty corroded and cleaned them untill they looked like shiny pennies and applied dielectric grease to them and decided to put the battery back together and give it a go. And what do you know it worked! I test drove it for a long time and actually it seems to be running the best it ever has! So far so good!

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes that is all it takes.

It would still be a good idea to get something like Hybrid Assistant and Hybrid Reporter (plus a compatible OBDII dongle) so you can monitor while driving. Maybe a grid charger is in your future too.

Good luck with the repair and long may it last.

Feel free to pop back from time to time and update how things are going.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

It's time to order a Elm 327 Bluetooth code reader. You will need it soon!

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Check out my experiences in my signature. It might help clear up some things.

GOOD LUCK!

9. Hybrid Battery Exchange

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but P0A80 indicates a cell failure within the battery pack. What you did is essentially clearing the codes and reset the battery state of charge. The failure will come back, get a code scanner like strawbrad said run the app he suggested. Once a battery module experiences a failure it will keep coming back even though it might take a charge at first (like yours has).

strawbrad likes this.
  10. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cleaning the buss bars was likely part of the issue but make sure you also load test all the modules especially since someone else was already in there and you have no idea if they did the rebuild work properly. At least that way you'll know what you have and can maximize the MPG on your Prius once more.

11. Don Youkey

Don Youkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Will this set up allow other diagnositics to be conducted, or only on the battery? Does it gather the same information as Techstream?

12. Hybrid Battery Exchange

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It will read/scan Engine Control Module for stored/pending/current codes on all makes and models (1996 and up), with custom PIDs loaded (google search: prius PIDs torque) it will give you the same data as techstream, including battery block voltages and so much more.

strawbrad likes this.