1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Question for our Canadian Members.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kenmce, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peedeecee @ Nov 16 2007, 11:35 PM) [snapback]540789[/snapback]</div>
    If you import it from the US you're still eligible for the provincial rebate - at least in Ontario.

Good luck,
    Gabe

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peedeecee @ Nov 16 2007, 09:35 PM) [snapback]540789[/snapback]</div>
    Note to Canadians.... checked today that the $2000 Federal rebate has not been officiallly announced for the 2008 Prius but should be confirmed very soon. In any case it is to be discontinued around the end of March 2008. The BC Provincial rebate of an additional $2000 is still effective for the 2008 model but knowing our present politics I'd believe that will continue not later than Dec 2007.. if that.
    If you are considering updating now is the time to do it.
    No I do not work for any Toyota dealer.
    Gary

3. HolyPotato

HolyPotato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck @ Nov 16 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]540800[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have a source for that?!

Geez, how many artificial trade barriers can they throw up? Does Toyota actually make a different immobilizer for a Prius destined to be sold in Canada in the first place?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck @ Nov 16 2007, 08:08 PM) [snapback]540800[/snapback]</div>
    what?? That's just one year. :rolleyes:

The PST rebate will be reduced to $1,000 in April 2008 and gone by April 2009 IIRC.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HolyPotato @ Nov 17 2007, 12:58 AM) [snapback]540870[/snapback]</div>
    No idea but apparently it's different. You also can't import the Corolla or Yaris hatch b/c they don't have engine immobilisers.

5. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HolyPotato @ Nov 17 2007, 02:58 AM) [snapback]540870[/snapback]</div>
    I should have bookmarked the source of that but regretfully did not. My wife confirms that she read the same article over my shoulder and we both were kinda' put off 'cause we have been planning to update to a 2009. I regret if I've caused anyone any problem and can only figure that it cropped up only after reading many Googled references regarding the rebate.
    That will teach me to confirm before posting. Mea Culpa!
    Gary

6. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

Well i purchased a 2007 package 7 (Factory Leather, Navi, Xenon, Bluetooth) super white prius from the states brand new and imported it as far as i know i bought it because you couldn't get those features in canada. It wasn't that bad but it is true about the hassles of finding a dealer even now the dealer i dealt with is telling me he won't be able to get me another car because they are really tightening the noose at headquarters. I love the car it is amazing i love the package 7 features. Unfortunately for me now that i have the car i have to sell it because i'm leaving the country in a couple months :( It has less than 7000 miles on it i bought it back in july.

If anyone is interested pm me.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But your profile says #6 :p

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    At any rate, the sub-title of this thread is wrong. It reads "Exorbitant Price for Canadian Pri?". It SHOULD read "Exorbitant Price for Canadian Pri, eh?"

;)

9. cuttooth

cuttooth Aficionado

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I reviewed Transport Canada's website (and called them to make sure) and I found that they still don't have a list of ecoAUTO eligible vehicles for 2008 ready. They'd better get it ready before this looming deadline for the rebate program , if indeed it is being scrapped.

Also, US imports are not eligible for the rebate program.

10. mabelair

mabelair New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cuttooth @ Nov 21 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]542556[/snapback]</div>
    I just called the Transport Canada telephone number for the ecoAUTO program and here are the responses that I got to my questions:

1 - When is the 2008 auto list being released?

We haven't been given a date yet, but we hope to release it before January, 2008.

2 - If I'm accepting the delivery of a 2008 Prius tomorrow, do I have to wait until the 2008 list is available before I can apply?

Yes, you will have to wait until the 2008 list comes out to apply.

3 - Is there an expiry date to the program?

As of right now, we expect the program to continue until March 2009, (two years after its inception) or until there is no more money left in the grant fund. It is possible that Parliament approved an extension of the program beyond 2009, but I cannot comment on that yet.

Hope that helps.

MAB
    (Edited to change September to March in Answer 3)

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol.. brilliant. We'll give you the money that we promised whenever we're ready.

12. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kenmce @ Oct 19 2007, 05:57 PM) [snapback]527943[/snapback]</div>
    I was lucky enough to find a 2007 Prius on eBay with 160 total miles, having been owned by an 84 year old lady who "didn't like it" and could not get used to the technology. The ad had just been up on eBay for a few minutes when I spotted it and used the "buy now" price. It has package 5 and I had 2 Canadian dealers quote on the equivalent at just over $35,000. Price near Indianapolis was $24,500USD, which at the time was about $23,600CDN
    I had to pay duty at 6.1% on the US price and had to pay the GST and PST on both the Canadian and the US prices but still saved over $10,000.00. Luckily for me it was made before Sept 1, 2007 because the Registrar of Imported Vehicles has declared 2007 Priuses?made after Sept 1 to be "inadmissible".
    That declaration was only added to their website last week so I was just plain lucky. The 2008 has been listed as inadmissible for a few weeks now.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation...OYOTA_LEXUS.htm

Incidental fees are $209 for RIV fee, $120 for A/C charge and $154 for DRL

I just love the car, which has all the options except leather seats.

I am learning much from all of you on this forum. Thank you all.

Eagleflyer

13. cuttooth

cuttooth Aficionado

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 21 2007, 02:27 PM) [snapback]542601[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed. It's as though the program started actually working as an added incentive for people to purchase more fuel efficient vehicles and the government freaked out.

"Uhm...Stephen? Yeah, I think it's working."

"Gah! Shut it down! Shut it down!!"

...and thanks for the additional details I wasn't informed of, Mab!

14. jguest

jguest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagleflyer @ Nov 21 2007, 05:30 PM) [snapback]542626[/snapback]</div>
    Eagleflyer -- you probably already know this, but just in case: you can get the Ontario retail sales tax rebated back to you, up to a maximum of $2,000.

Check "http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/english/guides/rst/pdf/702.pdf" for the details. Since the rebate applies to both domestic purchases and imports, it doesn't affect the U.S. - Cdn price spread, but I'd hate to see you give the Government money they don't want...

Enjoy your car -- I love mine!

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cuttooth @ Nov 21 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]542629[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: What? They actually buy these cars out west?? What about locally? Toronto too? Gosh darn it.

16. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(j-jo @ Nov 21 2007, 07:28 PM) [snapback]542699[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, j-jo. I was going to apply for the provincial rebate but did not know for sure that I would be successful.

Eagleflyer

17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, as for the 2008 not being eligible for export to Canada, it appears all the car manufacturers are "upset" that cross boarder shopping can be done. So it looks like they examined closely the requirements in each country and have/are making changes to make exporting impossible or at least, difficult.

Honda has been caught! There is a lawsuit out of Toronto against Transport Canada re a Honda model that "can't be imported" to Canada.

Looks like Toyota moved the immobilizer module for this reason. The Canadian car leaves it in the same place as the 2007.

Waiting for the lawsuit re the Prius.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So much for NAFTA and Free Trade and the Competition Act.

Btw, Toyota still holds a price fix status here in BC. No negogiations whatsoever from any Toyota BC Dealer.

19. peedeecee

peedeecee New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 22 2007, 01:49 PM) [snapback]542947[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. I posted on November 16th that I was going to buy a Prius - got it yesterday, and I've been out playing ever since. What a great little car - I'm having way too much fun.

I had to buy it from a Pattison dealership (holding nose and cursing :angry: ), in Victoria, BC, and yes, fixed price is the rule. The only consolation(s) I can take are that it really won't depreciate much, I said very rude things at the dealership, and I am now greener AND having more fun driving.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well my home dealership has been taken over my Jim Pattison.

Yeah I remember the day I got it. I'm a car nut but this car.. it really is a giant toy.