1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Question for Prius Drivers from the Frozen North.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by ekpolk, Feb 22, 2019.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Agreed ... even without waiting for the AWD version somewhere down the pike.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that TC was improved part way through Gen2, and improved again for Gen3. There are several threads and videos somewhere here showing the difference.

Beyond the switch, I don't know if there were further improvements for Gen4. But ignore those old Gen2 stories and look for Gen3 experiences as a minimum baseline.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My old Gen 2 was the worst, once you ran out of momentum the gas pedal went flat. I have not been in that same situation with the Gen 4 yet.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sound like whatever the problem that existed in Gen2 seems to be gone by now. I certainly do not remember ever struggling on icy road condition with my previous Gen3 and now with PRIME (Gen4). That said, I still think the best universal solution is to have studded winter tires. This should solve most of the traction problem on ice. In addition, as others have suggested, new AWD-e Prius may be a wise investment as well.

5. dbat23

dbat23 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm a member from Wisconsin and I've used my 2011 Prius and more recently my Gen 4, 2016 Prius as a delivery vehicle for 30k miles over the last 15 months in all weather. We have been hammered with snow, freezing rain, sleet, again and again this winter. The key to traction I've found is a proper set of dedicated snow tires, such as Bridgestone Blizzaks or Michelin X Ice3's which I currently run. The key is the low temperature tire compound which enables traction on ice and snow, much more effective than relying solely on traction control.

Mendel Leisk, dbf and Jeppefinn like this.
  6. Jeppefinn

Jeppefinn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    Yup. Could not do it from a standing start.
    I had unstudded Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's for 10 months, they were fine on cold weather ice and I got up the hill with those too.
    But there is no substitute for studs when on ice, traction control or any other gimmick is totally meaningless IMO.

WilDavis likes this.
  7. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    This seems to be a pretty well dialed-in summary of the general fear distilled from the stories of Gen-2 behavior.

Based on the good feedback here, and some other research I’ve been doing in parallel, that seems to be a sound starting-point strategy. The book is still open on this question, so if there are any more thoughts, observations or recommendations, it’s all welcome!

8. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Question about traction control - sorry if I’m ignoramous here I should know this - but what is traction control? Why is there a switch on my Prius? And when will I want to turn it off?

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Traction control stops the wheels if there's excess spinning, maybe "feathers" it, generally improves things? In some extreme cases though, if you're completely stuck, it might be better to switch off. Fourth gen has provided a switch to do that (previous gen's do not).

I would think still, you want to turn it off as a last resort, and be careful. Might be simpler to just get out a shovel, put some mats in front of the wheels.

10. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Traction control uses the wheel speed sensors on each wheel and when it senses one wheel turning more than it should it knows that wheel is spinning and lightly applies the brakes on that wheel and then the opposite wheel starts to gain traction. It goes back and forth trying to stop the spinning wheel from rotating and giving your car more traction.

ABS works just the opposite. If you are braking the speed sensors in each wheel actually takes braking away from that wheel and lets it rotate. By letting the wheels rotate you can still steer the car. When the brakes are locked up you have no control. There is great debate whether ABS shortens or lengthens stopping distance. It is actually more complicated than this but this is basically how it works.

krmcg likes this.
  11. Mithrandrost

Mithrandrost Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Gen 4 owner up in Canada. Traction control is on and I don't think about it much. Depending on snow conditions, it will occasionally engage and I don't spin out. If stuck in snow, you may want to turn off TC so you can grind through the snow and hit pavement. Yes, I have snow tires on. The Prius is a light car which makes it nimble, but it can drift around depending on conditions.

padroo likes this.
  12. ekpolk

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    TC isn't limited to applying brakes to arrest wheel spin. Many (most?) systems also throttle down the engine, reducing torque and therefore the tendency of the wheel to spin away once traction is broken. This is, I understand, the root of the issue with earlier Priuses (I say earlier now, since the issue seems diminished or eliminated in the Gen-4). The engineers were concerned about conditions in which a runaway wheel spin would over-speed, and quickly damage, components in the transmission. The solution: very "aggressively" protective TC, and the corresponding problems with trying to drive over very low friction surfaces.

padroo likes this.
  13. ekpolk

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Thanks for the input! It's good to hear some more confirmation that the TC has advanced from the Gen-2 car.

14. renzo750

renzo750 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've driven through many winters in Minnesota with both a Gen 3 and a Gen 4... there is a huge difference between the traction control operation of these two models. The Gen 3 was much more intrusive and really neutered power. The Gen 3 also did not have a switch to shut the TC off, you "could" turn it off but it was a very strange set of "moves" that accomplished putting it into "maintenance mode".

The Gen 4 is a whole new ballgame - a much better traction balanced operation that I have found to actually be helpful and not a hindrance in most winter conditions - adding in the fact that it can easily be shut off via a button on the dash I have no reservations about a Prius in the winter or being any harder to drive in ice and winter conditions than any other comparable vehicle. We've had some recent winter storm events and I'm one of the few guys that has made it in to the office everyday - many have AWD SUV's and 4-wheel drive trucks. Now keep in mind I've lived in Minnesota all my life and have very refined winter driving skills - yet I really don't think the Prius would pose a significant hindrance to a seasoned winter driver. Of course it's limited by ground clearance, and it's EXTREMELY important that the tires are in good condition. Short of very rural (life risking) long isolated commutes that ONLY using a 4-wheel drive vehicle is reasonable and safe then of course a Prius is not going to be a wise choice - I have some friends that live well off the grid - it's snowmobiles and 4x4 county only. Of course unless I visit them in my Prius :)

I've used good quality all-season tires with no problems - my 2017 has the OEM tries w/27,000 miles on them and we are doing great in the snowiest February in the history of Minnesota! Of course a set of Blizarks would be a huge help if more traction is routinely required.

dbf likes this.
  15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In Gen 3 they added a Motor Speed Reduction gear to reduce the speed of M/G1.

About 16:30, but watch the whole thing

16. ekpolk

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I hate you Jimbo -- that's like giving free crack to a hopeless addict. . . :p;):cool:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. bostonbruins8703

bostonbruins8703 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I have not tried these. But this could be a good temp solution. Especially in a pinch.

Attached Files:

18. dbf

dbf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The driveway had layer of ice this morning with a couple inches of snow on top, so I plowed it. The plow removed the snow, but the ice was still there. The truck had trouble getting traction, but afterwards the Prius had no problem with the ice. I really think it has better traction than my 4 wheel drive truck on ice anyway.

bostonbruins8703 likes this.
  19. ekpolk

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    That's great to hear, and I will pass it along. Also, nice to have a reminder of my days growing up -- and learning to drive -- in New Hampshire. I learned in a 1973 Slant-6 Dodge Dart, no ABS, no TC, no limited slip anywhere, and best of all, rear-wheel drive! THAT thing was "fun" to drive on icy roads! It's truly amazing how much better we do now.

And nowadays, the only time I really need to have gloves is in July and August -- for when the steering wheel will be far too hot to touch, even with sun shades having been used! :eek:

20. dbf

dbf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...been there done that growing up with the real wheel drive cars and even living in the south in the summertime, but right here right now it's 17 Deg F going down to 8 tonight!