1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A question to Prius owners

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by malorn, Nov 21, 2005.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If your Prius has stalled, I have a question for you. Would you be less forgiving if the Prius had been built by Ford or General Motors? Please think about it and try to be as honest as possible. I know that if I was selling a vehicle which was prone to stalling, I would be getting an earful from my customers. What do you think?

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep, mine quit in Winnipeg city traffic last November.

Once I was towed back to the Toyota dealership, I did the same as I did when my piece of s*** 2000 GMC Sierra fu-beyond-ar'd the first time: I ripped them a new one.

I marched right up to the Toyota salesperson who sold me my Prius, pointed him towards the flatbed wrecker, and ripped him a new one. I then spotted the manager and ripped HIM a new one.

Just in case you thought I was paid by Toyota to gloss over that fact. Happy??

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am just wondering what to expect.

4. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

"Prone" to stalling is not a fair characterization...

First of all, any new Priuses built after Feb 2005 do not remotely have this issue...

Second of all, even though a large number of Priuses are affected by the recall, very few instances of the failure have actually been reported... only 33 reports, and some of them have been duplicates or legitamate "out of gas" cases where the driver is clearly at fault for draining the fuel tank completely to fall back on the battery.

Please stop trying to characterize the Prius as a horrible car, or that this is a "common" issue in any measure... or one that hasn't already been fixed.

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I apologize Laughingman, I am not trying to characterize the Prius as a horrible car. I have read on here of several cases of stalling to PC participants. If I was out looking for a 'hybrid' Prius would be my choice, I really mean that. I am just asking an honest question about owners and their expectations.

6. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Malorn, known GM troll.

His inaccurate wording is selected to incite, just like the yellow journalism site we recently encountered.

Crawl back under your rock.

Darn trolls... :angry:

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Jesus, You can't all be this high-strung!

8. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius has never stalled. If it did, I don't think I'd "Rip anyone a new anything..". I'd just make sure the problem was resolved.

In my 1997 Jeep, I ran out of gas. This was due to a faulty gas gauge. I didn't rip anyone anything - I called AAA, got gas and got it fixed.

It's a car. Sh*t happens all the time. People get hairs in food, light bulbs burn out just after a days use, pen's dry up when they should still write, hard drives fail in computers and yes, car's have issues. It's to be expected.

I think people too often expect perfection, when odds are good that a human was involved in the making of anything you buy, so perfection is unlikely. What consumers will get upset about is consistent problems. I can understand a problem here or there, but when a car can't go 10k between issues, that's unacceptable and should be dealt with. From what I've heard, this has not been the case with the Prius.

9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius did not stall but was on the edge, first time it would not power off, second trime it would not power up. Both times I jumpered the ACC Bat with my 7Amp Gel Battery, if this only happens to 5% of all the Prius cars out there I would not call that a major problem, one has to see the total statistics.

10. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I'd personally like to see no more posts on this thread, although of course everyone has a right to, and should if they want to.

malorn, please take your axe and your act and leave PriusChat.

We are a gathering place for Prius owners, most of whom are enthusiasts, and potential buyers who seek information.

You are a troll. Even if it is not your INTENTION to be a troll, you are a de facto troll.

You have no interest in the Prius per se.

Why don't you spout your stuff on a Honda site, or Nissan, or Mazda, or Subaru, or Volkswagen, and see if they are more hospitable to you.

Why don't you go to GM sites, and try to lead GM's comeback? They need you.

You're beyond annoying.

In all my years on the internet, I've never done this. I'm doing it now.

11. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Deleted - posted by mistake.

12. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

Looks like we have another "smoke & mirrors" topic.....

Tell ya what though, I'll entertain this question:

Every car is prone to stalling - somehow or another. Its how you are treated when you take it in to service following the event that is what determines your allegiance.

Cadillac downright called me a liar,

Ford tried to tell me that my radiator fluid needed replacement and it would cost $250.

And the list went on for 20 odd years.

Since I've not had a problem with "stalling" with either my Toyota or Honda, I can't really say how I'll be treated. But if its anything like my regular service, I'm sure my allegiance will stay true.

13. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    C'mon People, this forum is to acquire and share knowledge about the Prius. For the most part the questions are honest and the responses positive and informative. Let's keep it that way.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd probably be less forgiving. This being that it's a Toyota and I have very high expectations when I drive a Toyota. If it was a Ford, then yeah if it squeaked and rattle, I'll let it by since it's expected. Ditto a stall. Not that Ford cars stall but IF it were to stall, I'll probably won't be as pissed than if a Toyota stalled.

15. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Alright. Enough of this name calling BULLSH*T. This is f*cking ridiculous. First off, he didn't imply anything. Those of you who don't like him inferred the implication because you don't like him. That's fair. Nobody's forcing you to like him but if you don't have anything nice or relevant to say then don't read his threads and don't waste disk space with your name calling. The question was perfectly legimate and if you're blind to that fact then you're a mindless toyota cheerleader.

And now to the question:

If mine had stalled I'd be annoyed for sure. I had an S-10 blazer that stalled in turns a lot. I pretty much just put up with. I didn't buy another GM though. I had a Honda for 10 years after that. If the Prius weren't so clearly the best choice in hybrids I would most likely have bought a HCH. My parents owned a couple of GM cars and they were not good cars so I've written them off. I've never owned a Ford so I can't really comment on them. I'd probably ditto Tideland Prius on that count.

16. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

And I'm the Tooth Fairy.

17. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Tripp, I normally agree with ya buddy, but Malorn likes to bait us into never-ending threads, usually arguing how Toyota buyers are destroying the world. He has downplayed his wording here only from what he has learned on past 33-page thread, but he is still trying to incite. These threads end up sapping the resources we could use to talk about legitimate issues, because sooner or later we get in defense mode. Heck, in the last one we were defending SUVs of all things!

We are not afraid to talk about the stalling problem -- we have numerous threads on it. But I will not legitimize a troll (yes, I said it!) by responding to what is an obvious attempt to start another 33-page dissertation on how much harm we are doing to the world.

Look, he's got us fighting, he must be thrilled. :)

18. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

bad GM news--------------------------->let's mess with Toyota again

19. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ya, I wouldn't hesitate to rip Toyota corporate a new one, given the chance.

I have NEVER EVER had a car stall on me unexpectedly in any car (especially if it was an out-of-gas condition) except for the Prius.

I'm unhappy enough with Honda making defective exhaust manifolds (they only last ~ 100K miles before cracking) into their 1996-2001 Civics.

20. Weinerneck

Weinerneck New Member

First of all, I don't think Jesus was high-strung.
    Now, if you go into a dealership screaming like a lunatic, that's high-strung!! :D