1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

a quieter tire

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mark schofield, Sep 21, 2016.

1. mark schofield

mark schofield Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's about time for new tires. I have the original Goodyear Assurance tires and am looking for something that might give a quieter/smoother ride. I know that the Prius C is a smaller nosier car than the larger Prius, but I'm getting good mileage and would be willing to give up a few MPGs for a more comfortable ride. Many people on this forum have good reports on the Ecopia 422+. thanks for your input

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    michelin also makes some quiet tyres.

WilDavis likes this.
  3. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Ecopias trust me.

4. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I've had bad luck with two sets of Ecopia 422 so far.
    Was thinking about the Goodyear Assurance that is now standard on the C.
    But thanks for telling me they are not too quiet.
    I find the Ecopia to be loud, have an uncomfortable ride, and exhibit lousy wear patterns.

5. JCW3

JCW3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    We had Hankooks on our PriusC and loved them. Before vacation we replaced the tires and did not want to wait for them to ship the Hankooks. Took the recommendation of getting Michelin Grand Tour M/S tires (since we live in the mountains). They were drastically noisier than the warn Hankooks and we noticed an immediate drop in gas mileage. So far the Michelins are wearing good and handle good, but the Hankooks was a way better value and the ride quality was very noticeably better.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a type of question if you ask 10 people, you will get 10 answers. ;) Unless you can actually put tires of your choices on your car and drive it and do the same with other tires suggested and drive them to make direct comparison for your situation, I don't think you will get the final answer. Most new tires just installed are quieter than worn out old tires, so whatever you choose you are likely to have what your are looking for.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm looking forward to trying General RT43 on ours. I put a set on our other subcompact and it made a dramatic improvement. I might even just borrow them one day for a test ride- the wheels have the same bolt pattern though the actual tire size is not a match.

8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know about General, but Micheline and I think Bridgestone has 30 days test ride policy. I am not sure if they will honer on-line purchased ones and exchange to different brand tires, but most reputable tire stores offer similar exchange policy, I think.

From Michelin site: Available on all MICHELIN® passenger and light truck replacement tires. If you're not 100% satisfied, bring the tires and original sales receipt back to the place of purchase within 30 days for a new set of tires.

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

That's good to know, but given that I already own a set in a similar size already mounted on a compatible wheel I'm far more likely to spend 45 minutes swapping them from the one car to the other and then doing a test drive. No appointment needed, no sales pressure to keep them etc etc...

Might be a while though, it's looking like it'll take another 4 summers to wear down the factory goodyears

Salamander_King likes this.
  10. bbunge

bbunge Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Goodyear Assurance were a disappointment on my 13 c. The OEM Bridgstone did not make 30K miles. Goodyear came with 60K wearout warranty and just made 40K and will not pass inspection. Visiting my dealer to try to get Yokohama Avid Asceng GT. Yes, the tires were rotated per schedule and were at recommended pressure. Tire wear was even. Just not good tires!

SM-T380 ?

11. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My OEM Ecopias last 65k miles. I replaced with the 422 as the originals were no longer available. I'm at 50k miles and they are ready to be replaced, probably have at most 5k miles left... but in the tires defense, I skipped a few tire rotations.
    I have found that the front tires wear a bit quicker than the rears, so it's ALWAYS a good idea to rotate.
    40 psi all around at all times. I check it every other fuel up, or when my light turns on to let me know the air is low, whichever happens first.

12. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I looked for Michelin when I replaced the EnergySavers on my Gen II back in 2015, but couldn't find them in the correct size, so my local TownFairTires recommended Antares Ingens A1 (…nope, I'd never heard of them, either!) They're just starting their 4th season, they've done around 22,000 miles and are down to 7/32" (i.e. about 37% worn) They are whisper quiet and handle wet really well! (e.g. past week here in the north east) …and (including fitting and balancing) they were about ½ the price of the Michelins. (…but YMMV :rolleyes:) - hope this helps - Wil

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just ruminating, I had to look at that a bit closer, and yes: sounds about right. Assuming new tread depth was 10 /32 and your lower limit is 2/32, that's a difference of 8/32. Being at 7/32" that's a drop of 3/32".

So, 3/8 of the overall tread "life", translates to 37.5%.

WilDavis likes this.
  14. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …nice to see that your maths and assumptions are about the same as mine! :love:
    and they're all the same, and they're pretty even across the tread (I'm running them at 40F/38R). ;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. topshot

topshot Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Which light are you referring to? The TPMS warning? Seems like those are set to trigger around 25 psi, which should only happen if you have a leak of some kind. Can you use Techstream to have it trigger at higher psi?

16. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Check your owners manual.
    I'm pretty sure that you can re-set the "normal" pressure yourself and the trigger points should move accordingly.

ztanos likes this.
  17. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What Sam said. You can press the button under the dash to reset the light to whatever trigger point you want. Mine goes off at 32psi now.

AzusaPrius likes this.