1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A really user friendly "rear view mirror" mounted dash cam...

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Mike500, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Over the past couple of weeks, I looked at dash cams on Amazon.com and was surprised on how inexpensive they have become.

I've heard of the Go Pro and the iPhone app, but they are expensive and require a lot of user interaction. I haven't done much video work since the days of the Vidicon camera and the 3/4 inch Sony UMatic system. That gives you an idea on how dated I am when it comes to video. Then again, I have had no need to.

I first order this one on the recommendation of another PriusChat member in another thread;

While it worked, the camera unit was used. The screen was all scratched up. The rear camera was nice to have, but installing it would be labor intensive. Believe me, I've done a few dashboard and interiors over the past 50 years.

The worst feature was that it mounted to the windshield. It would be obviously apparent to thieves like those who would even steal prescription eyeglasses. I would not worry about the camera but the idiot who would break your window and rip up the interior of the car to steal it.

I returned it.

The second one I tried was $19.85 delivered.

Again, it would be mounted on the windshield and be thief bait.

The camera froze up many times when accessing the menu.

Again, I returned it.

I finally bit the bullet and got this rear view mirror unit.

While not perfect. It is worth more than I paid for it.

Most importantly, it was absolutely easy to install. The time an date was correct for my time zone.

Actually, all I did was to clip it on and plug it in.

I put in a 32 GB SanDisk SD card that I got from Amazon for less than $20 delivered.

There is nothing to do with the dash cam. It records when you start the car and turns off when you turn off the car. The DVR records in a continuous loop.

Most importantly, it is nearly invisible to the casual observer.

Worth getting and having. Just read the reviews.

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    why do you feel the need to continually video outside your car?

wmh37 likes this.
  3. HamSailor

HamSailor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I can tell you why. A week ago my car (not the Prius) was T-boned by a lady who is lying through her teeth about what happened. No witnesses.

A dash cam is now at the top of my priority list.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Staged accidents are also becoming much more prevalent now that many more people are waaaaaaaaaaay upside down in their cars.
    There are few ways to do them (I won't go into them here,) and unless you have witnesses (or a vid) then you're going to find your insurance rates going up to pay for some creep's new car and false injury.

I have to admit that as a M/C rider this accessory is climbing on my priority list. :)

5. HamSailor

HamSailor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Excellent points. Installation does sound indeed easy.

One question: how bulky/heavy is this unit? The specs say 11.4oz, two-thirds of a pound. Is the rearview mirror sturdy enough to support this additional weight permanently?

And how good is the actual mirror on this unit. After all, this is the primary function...

Thanks

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Everything works just fine, There's a little vibration, but after more than a month, I'm used to it.

It's NOT perfect, but it is the best out there, currently. I'm happy.

7. HamSailor

HamSailor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Since posting yesterday, I spent hours researching dashcams. Holy mackerel, I had no idea of this ecosystem out there! There must be hundreds of them, and tens of thousands of postings. Looks like I am not allowed to include URLs but I found a whole set of forums under dashcamtalk which seems helpful. The result of all this sleuthing is that I am now more confused than ever what to buy. Probably I should just order ANY one of them, anything is better than nothing which is what I have now.

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2012 Prius"v," just like you. The one I installed works great and fits in well.

The best thing is that it doesn't look like "tacked on" GPS or a radar detector which is "theft bait."

If you don't look hard, no one even suspects that it is even there. I had to show some of my front seat passengers that I was even using a dash cam. Some even don't know that I've got one to this day.

Unlike cops and prosecutors who are required to fully disclose evidence in court, the defense is NOT required to, unless it in in his or her favor.

HamSailor likes this.
  9. HamSailor

HamSailor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Oh absolutely, it should be as undetectable from the outside as possible, this is one of my prime criteria.

I ordered a simple but reportedly good dash cam last night (DVR-007). It is NOT a mirror cam but glues to the windscreen. But given your good experiences, I may order this one, too. We have two cars so I need two cams.

10. HamSailor

HamSailor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

So, I ordered an ABEO rearview camera, not the one the Rude person's bought but their slightly newer model with higher resolution (1050). It arrived very quickly, directly from Taiwan within 5 days. I am essentially happy with it. Installation is super-easy (just clip on the mirror) and it is pretty stealthy (even more once I get the cables tucked away properly). Quality during the day is quite decent (easy to read license plates in front), at night, not so much. It also records sounds and it comes on if something shakes the car while parked (hit-and-run!). It is obviously larger than the stock rearview mirror but JUST small enough that it does not interfere with either of the visors in my Prius V.

I am still waiting for the DVR-007 which should come from mainland China but Taiwan clearly has the shipping better under control.

11. HamSailor

HamSailor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So, I ordered an ABEO rearview camera, not the one that Rude person's bought but their slightly newer model with higher resolution (1050). It arrived very quickly, directly from Taiwan within 5 days.

I am essentially happy with it. Installation is super-easy (just clip on the mirror) and it is pretty stealthy (even more once I get the cables tucked away properly). Quality during the day is quite decent (easy to read license plates in front), at night, not so much. It also records sounds and it comes on if something shakes the car while parked (hit-and-run!). It is obviously larger than the stock rearview mirror but JUST small enough that it does not interfere with either of the visors in my Prius V.

I am still waiting for the DVR-007 which should come from mainland China but Taiwan clearly has the shipping better under control.

12. HamSailor

HamSailor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry about the double-posting, I tried editing but apparently it posted everything again.

And also apologies for 'replying' to my own posting. There is something I thought might be useful:

While the rearview-mirror mounted dashcams are very easy to install (doesn't get any easier than clip it on the mirror), there is one disadvantage that you may want to consider: You cannot dim your mirror anymore.

Obviously, if you bought the fancy auto-dimming rearview mirror, you may want to think twice before even considering this solution.

Just something to think about.

13. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just look at that...made in Russia :)

14. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah, I understand your "need". Didn't realize you drove your Prius in Russia that often. Do you also stockpile food for your trips in Bangladesh? Can't be too careful. ;)

15. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oops! Back to USA then :)

16. Makaru

Makaru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    I bought a dash cam a month ago....I drive regularly on this highway in Toronto and this video intrigued me.

17. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How often do you get in "accidents" that you feel the need to record every minute of your driving? I see an accident once every few years. Get in one every ten years or so. Is the camera a substitute for good driving?

18. Makaru

Makaru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon

I have not had an accident to date and that's in far more than 10 years of driving. No reason one can't be both a good driver and a dashcam owner. The driver on the highway in post 15 was a "good driver", but it really did not help him in that situation.

In any case, it was a very minor expenditure. Not sure why you feel I have to justify it.

Live and let live.

19. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Besides the fact that is creepy that your are invading every other driver's reasonable expectation of privacy, there are specific legal issues involved in video taping people without permission.

20. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Not true in the USA.

In 2012, the Supreme Court upheld the right to videotape even the police - as long as it's in a public place.