1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A response to Hydrogen FCV naysayers

Discussion in 'Fuel Cell Vehicles' started by OldNSlow, Jun 20, 2016.

1. OldNSlow

OldNSlow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't read that many logical fallacies in one place in a very long time.
    He glosses over the fact that very few people actually NEED fast refueling speed when you start each day with a full tank.
    This also minimizes the need for a vehicle that can go very long distances without refueling.

And of course, when discussing refueling speed, while he points out that an FCV refuels much faster than a BEV, he omitted the fact that ICE vehicles refuel faster than FCVs.

The reviewable angle was a riot. He uses the California grid for BEV owners, and then his specific hydrogen supplier.
    Last I heard, there still wasn't a single retail hydrogen station in California. Perhaps he would be better off comparing the renewable ration of all retail stations in CA since he is also using the average grid in CA.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    well what would you expect, this isn't an authoritative website, but rather a hydrogen car owners bloging attempt to refute the facts w/out even telling you who they are or what credentials they speak with - if any. Look at the posts on the side of the article and you'll see the same thing, a bunch of attempts to refute logic. However I note this fellow posting on this blog site doesn't even attempt to refute the most authoritative article titled, "The hydrogen hoax" . I suppose that's because it was authored by one of the top hydrogen fuel engineers in the world, working for NASA at the time.
    Funny thing - when i 1st saw the OP's title - "a response to hydrogen naysayers" I wrongly presumed this read was going to be a rehash of Toyota pretty much back peddling recently, letting the world know in essence that Toyota had made a mistake by dropping Ev's (much less, their condemnation of them) - even as other manufacturers we're ramping up leaving Toyota in the EV production dust.

That said - I was amazed at one of the other ancillary reads on the side of this blog page. The author explains how he wanted a hydrogen car because gasoline cars leave too much pollution in his neighborhood. Apparently the operative word here is "neighborhood". Since Toyota plans on reforming hydrogen from Australian coal - I guess "the world" is not this poor fellow's neighborhood .... but rather just the block he lives on. That's what you call an irony on many levels.

#3 hill, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to hear prior supporter Amory Lovins ideas on FCV today.
    But I have not heard much from him on it in recent years.