1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A speeding ticket? In a pokey little Prius?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by p21usa, May 28, 2006.

1. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 27 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]277693[/snapback]</div>

Very true. La Mesa cops like to set up at a spot on University and nail folks for rolling out of a couple side streets without a full stop, they are behind a sign. Of course University is often a race course for the same cops who are rolling down to the Starbucks but that doesn't count cause they use their sirens!

On very nice days you can rest assured that the motorcycle cops will set up on Crown Point Drive. This is in the open but often people do have a head of steam up by the time they actually see the cops and react. I never go over 30 there because of this. It is a nice stretch of road and you are easily distracted by the view of the bay and Sea World.

2. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(p21usa @ May 28 2006, 05:34 PM) [snapback]262127[/snapback]</div>
    What's the matter with your Prius? Mine handled 87 mph very easily on the PA turnpike. I was going to a wedding in the Pocono Mountains and really had to be there on time. Kind of surprised me when I looked down at the dash! Even with the AC on full blast, I averaged 50 mpg on that trip. Of course, on the way home I was more in the 65 to 75 mph range and the temp had dropped a slight bit, so the AC wasn't on full.
    Since I got this car, I just keep smiling!

3. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 29 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]262599[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, most cars have a pre-programmed governor in the computer to cut the fuel at a particular speed. No need for anything other than programming for many years in the speed limiter department. In my camaro all I could do was raise the limiter to 255 (max). However after installing steeper gears and transmission it would still cut out, so I simply unplugged the electronics so i have no speedo any more and put the rev limiter functions over to the ignition box via chip setting. It is much safer to cut spark rather than fuel anyway. BTW: My last speeding ticket was sometime back in 1990... However I do manage to get pulled over quite frequently. :p

4. TomKahn

TomKahn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About 3 months ago, I was going 57 in a 30 when my radar detector went off. I looked up and saw a police car coming at me. He must have had a pulse radar gun. As he passed me, I saw his brake lights, so I pulled over and got out my license and registration out. He came up to my window and I said “Sorry Sir, when I saw you, I looked down a realized I was going 57. I just didn’t notice I was going that fast.†He went back to his car and only gave me a warning. Being courteous and admitting I was in the wrong helped. My short grey hair on my bald head also helped.

I have had my 2006 Prius up to 108 several times. I find the pickup from 65 to 95 very good. With my Falken 512 205/60 r15 H rated tires, the most dangerous part is getting caught by the fuzz.

Tommy Kahn

5. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    im an driving slower and slower since i started driving the prius...

6. DaveOrgans

DaveOrgans New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreenGene @ May 29 2006, 10:22 AM) [snapback]262336[/snapback]</div>
    I once asked a cop what the required accuracy was for a speedometer. He told me it can be off by 10%. I found that interesting. +/- 5.5 MPH at 55.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 27 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]277693[/snapback]</div>
    Yes it does. Take a look at California Vehicle Code sections 40801 through 40805.

8. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomKahn @ Jun 27 2006, 05:49 PM) [snapback]277727[/snapback]</div>
    You don't list your location, but I'm pretty sure you aren't from around California! Going 57 in a 30 zone might get you a "reckless" on top of a speeding ticket. You certainly would not get a warning!

9. powphilprius

powphilprius Elshawno~

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    FYI, not to brag but I went 107 in mine just to see if it would govern at 106, and it didn't, had more,... on mostly flat roads in Co., driving to Summit county ... no sh$! I can drive it like a bat out of hell and still 42mpg, got 38mpg on display at 100, but I recommend acheiving maximum efficiency within reason.

10. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hasn't anybody ever heard of a radar detector? I can't tell you how much grief this device has saved me. You pay now (for the detector) or later (to the court, insurance company). Your choice. They aren't infallible but a hell of a lot better than guessing.

11. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jun 29 2006, 11:37 PM) [snapback]279004[/snapback]</div>
    They're illegal in Virginia and Washington DC (and most Canadian provinces).

12. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

13. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(p21usa @ May 28 2006, 05:34 PM) [snapback]262127[/snapback]</div>
    I suspect the defective equipment was the radar, not the Prius speedo. Either that or he hit on the wrong car.

14. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't we all just slow down? Remember, if you are important enough, they will wait for you. Or, life is just to damn short to have to speed everywhere and get your blood pressure all jacked up. Let the idiots race ahead of you and suck the cops out of their hiding spots to write them tickets and allow you to cruise on by- no stress, no tickets, and no increases in your auto insurance. Go in peace.

15. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Jun 30 2006, 02:44 AM) [snapback]279008[/snapback]</div>
    And should be EVERYWHERE. Their ONLY function is to aid you in not getting caught commiting an illegal act. I've heard the bogus reasoning: "It helps me make sure I am not going too fast". Your cruise control will do a much better job. If the sign says "Maximum speed 65", it doesn't mean 'or 85, if you prefer'. The +10% 'leeway' is there to account for mechanical variance and make sure the limit was clearly violated.

I do find it hard to balance my 'best mileage, good for me and the environment' gliding downhill on a local road posted at 30 where I can get 'free' glide up the back side but hit 38 or 39 with the fact that it IS posted at 30. "Yes officer, I understand that i was exceeding the posted limit by 9 MPH, but I am trying to do my part in saving the environment" :rolleyes: Of course all the non hybrid owners get very pushy if I limit myself to even 35.

16. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Jun 30 2006, 06:27 AM) [snapback]279056[/snapback]</div>

I call those guys "alligator bait"! :lol:

It is funny how so many times we have to "conquer the road" and when the Mrs ask to turn over for a break or a pop.. all we can think about is all those guys passing us up that we just "conquered".... Ha!...

I like driving fast in areas that are safe.... wide open spaces with straight roads we should be able to cruise... but whether the speed limit is 60 or 80, many will still make it stressfull for everyone else by tailgaiting and driving reckless just to gain an extra 30 seconds.

Its the real mph difference that "makes" the difference.
    If you are driving 2000 miles and driving for 8 - 10 hours a day... and extra consistent 5 mph goes a long way for getting you to your destination a whole hour earlier.... but its the push push pushing just to have to fall back in speed again thats a real waste and danger because you can't go any faster than the traffic goes.
    Pass one guy and theres just another to pass..... right.. just kick back and enjoy!

If you can do that at 80... then great, but if you have to go 60 to flow and not pass and tailgait every 2 minutes, then so be-it.

There are always higher laws than the street signs....... how about common sense and courtesy?

17. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

18. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Another problem these days are our deteriorating roadbeds. Lots of roads here are nearly undrivable in the right lane. The lane had been destroyed by overloaded tractor-trailer rigs pounding the foundation right out of the roadbed. The lanes need to be ripped up and re-bedded, not just patched over and over. In today's spending climate, it's never gonna happen.

So, if you don't want to chip your teeth because of the bad paving, you have to drive in a middle lane here. That means flowing with traffic to some extent. You don't have to be the fastest driver on the road, but you shouldn't be the slowest either.

19. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subversive @ May 29 2006, 06:59 PM) [snapback]262483[/snapback]</div>
    Golly, thanks mister. Jeepers, where would we be with out your sage advice?

:rolleyes:

20. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Jun 30 2006, 06:27 AM) [snapback]279056[/snapback]</div>

This sounds like Rodney King! I have to admit that, as an airline pilot, they DID wait for me to arrive, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't hear about it from somebody even more important than I thought I was. My blood pressure goes up in SLOW traffic, especially when I'm behind a speed-Nazi in the left lane deliberately going 5 mph UNDER the limit and blocking everyone. Yes, speed kills, but bucking the traffic flow, even if it is 10 mph over the limit, will get you attention you could probably do without. Drive-by shootings are way down out here now, but there are enough crazies still behind a wheel that you don't want to become a focus. On a desert road, restrict yourself to the limit if you feel inclined. On a freeway, go with the flow or take a side road. Gas mileage is good, living is better.