1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A surprise on this last tank

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ES44AC, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Justin did a nice job of summarizing what I was trying to ask.

ChipL and F8L like this.
  2. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, the OP had many of us scratching our heads at why the almost a -16% difference. But answer the OP, yes short trips can really kill your mpg's. I get like 25mpg when doing a short run to the grocery store when the car is cold.

3. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi F8L,

Yes it was reading 59.7 when I filled it up and the last 2 segments in the gauge were blinking. I pulled in and filled it up. I am beginning to think that this all happened in some sort of time warp or spatial anomaly and I never really stopped, I am still driving...........OR............. I pulled in to fill up but due to the time displacement I met myself at the pump! Hell, even I am confused now :/ I'm gonna check my garage to make sure the car is really there and not trapped somewhere in the ether! lol

Other tankfuls have been within 2 or 3 mpg indicated to the good, compared to what I actually have calculated. But there have been only 3 tankfuls so far, not enough to really draw any conclusions from I guess.

Don't worry about it guys I'm not!

Cheers

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL!

Sound like the tank was not quite full from the last fill up. Sometimes the pump shuts down early. Keep track of your indicated and calculated mpg over the next few tanks and you'll likely be in the 5% error range like the rest of us. I wouldnt sweat it. Your indicated mpg should only be about 2-3mpg too high. This means you didn't really get less than 50mpg on that tank. You most likely got 56mpg or so.

5. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is WAY too large error for the MFD.. must be something else ....in three years I did not have this large difference.

I would suspect that the error was at the pump. I have seen very early clicks (and I saw on the pump this is wrong). The gas could foam up or something ... So to eliminate this, check how much gas you got ... and what would you expect.

Just my 2 cents.

6. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess we were puzzled is all. As long as you weren't majorly cheated at the pump, it should all average out.

7. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ChipL,

Thanks for being interested! Any help is appreciated. I will see what the next tankful does.

Regards