1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A tip that could save you $150 - $200.

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Phil 29 Palms CA, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Phil 29 Palms CA

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    A friend of mine lost the key to his Honda and could not open the door or start his car. A family member was not available to bring him a spare key FOB. It cost him $185 for a locksmith to drive to his location, open the door and make him a spare key. Some drivers have road assistance insurance that pay for this contingency. Most do not. My friend had none. To save this possible cost, I hide my spare valet key outside my Prius C. If I loose my FOB key I can still open the door and start the car. I know doing this risk the Prius C to possible theft, but this is the chance I am willing to take. I secure my spare key with copper wire that will not rust away, wrapped the key to make it waterproof, and hide it in a not obvious place. Do not use tape. It may dry out and the key may fall off the car. Use of the rear bumper area is too obvious and not recommend. Under the hood is not recommended because the door must be open to release the hood lock. I believe 99% of car thieves would not take the time and effort to find my spare key. Plus, I do not live in a high crime area. This is my belief. Some may call me stupid to place a spare key outside my car! Every Prius C owner has to make his own decision to take this risk...

Danny13pruisc3 likes this.
  2. Jamesb93612

Jamesb93612 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are little plastic boxes with strong magnets on the back that allow you to store a key inside and secure it to anything metal. I used to use one of those when I was a forgetful teenager!

iPad ? HD

mtbiker53 likes this.
  3. Phil 29 Palms CA

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The magnet boxes I found were too thin to fit the very thick valet key. Plus, the key cost about $120. to replace. That is too expensive to take the chance of losing it. I am afraid if I hit a real chock hole or hard bump in the read the magnet force may not be enough to hold the key box to the car. I think wire is a safer way to protect the key falling off the car.

4. Jamesb93612

Jamesb93612 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True! I haven't used one since I had my '86 VW GTI.

iPad ? HD

5. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This I done for nearly 50 years, when just loss of a key was more harassing than costly. Here's some advice based on literally dozens of my cars. sometimes not is never.
    - do not use magnets, Period, they don't work. sometimnes is never.
    - use stainless steel wire in multiple wraps THRU the fob knob. tape is Ok to cover up only. Make sure its accessible to get by hand, not tools. Consider to make sure it takes enough time for anyone to notice.
    - put it where you can safely access from the curb side. you have no idea how much danger you will be in if its street side.
    - consider just a door key if putting your expensive'spare' key isn't real safe. Hide the good key in the car where it isn't easy to find by someone else.

6. W5JCK

W5JCK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Or you can put a spare key in your wallet. Most wallets have a slot for holding one or two keys. Granted that some modern car keys have a huge plastic area where you hold them, so they might not fit well into a wallet. I figure the chances of losing both my keys and my wallet at the same time are fairly slim. So I used to keep an extra car key and house key in my wallet.

EDIT: Okay that idea might not work with Prius C key. I've got the keyless entry and start option so I had never looked at the actual key. It is shaped oddly compared to older types of car keys.

apandabear likes this.
  7. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't try this with the Smart Key option :confused:

Stevie and ztanos like this.
  8. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think leaving keys to your car in "your super secret hideaway spot" (that I'm sure is any car thieves most common spot) is a good deterrent to being absentminded and losing car keys...

IMO, the best deterrent would be for you to get maybe...a something huge and bright (glow in the dark) and permanently attach it to your keychain...

if you do lose that too then you know what they say...you can't fix... =D

steveoknievo and Drdiesel like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when i'm at the beach, i hide my wallet in my sneaker. i'm sure no thief would ever look there.:)

normcook, Stevie and ztanos like this.
  10. Klaatu

Klaatu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I hide my Valet key inside my locked car. Go to an ACE Hardware store and have a duplicate (plain all metal key), the blank code for the PRIUS is T27. Keep the key in your wallet, it will open the door but not start the car. All you need is to gain access. Total cost of the plain metal headed key, not programmed is under $3.00. Cheap insurance.

There are many neat places to hide the Valet key in the car.

11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great, now, I can't stop thinking where you hide your key. It must be something tricky.
    Say, did you put it inside one of the tires?

Merkey likes this.
  12. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I ran a wire covered with wire loom to the bottom of my car that triggers the electrical unlock when grounded. I hid a spare key inside of my car. I never have to worry about locking keys inside the car. If I lost normal keys, I can still get inside my car and drive home. BTW the wire loom is now covered with dirt so it looks like part of the car. I don't worry about loosing the keys attached to the outside of the car as there is none. Also the key may rust from being in the element for prolong period.

Danny13pruisc3 and Jamola like this.
  13. Phil 29 Palms CA

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I want to thank member Klaatu for his posting. I think it is the best solution to the lost key original thread I posted. I will go to ACE hardware and get a spare key made using T27 blank. Having the valet key hidden inside the car is a better practice than outside. The T27 spare key blank is just what I needed to know. Thanks again for your posting!

14. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Of course the C3 and C4 don't have valet keys.

I happily keep my spare SKS fob hidden at home... and my normal SKS fob and keyring never leave my pocket when I'm out of the house.

15. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I want a micro chip implant :eek:

ztanos likes this.
  16. Phil 29 Palms CA

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I was informed by my local locksmith that the T27 blank posted by Klaatu's thread was a 30 year old key blank and would not open a TOYOTA Prius C door. He sold me TWO TR47 blank keys cut to my FOB key. I tried both keys in my door after cutting. They both work and open the door. Klaatu, did you try the key in the door after it was cut? I hope you did. Please reply. The recommended T27 blank to use as a spare key at Ace hardware may be a bad posting advice on priuschat! The cost for each TR47 key cut to open the door was $2.50! I plan to keep one key in my wallet. The key has a thickness of about 1/16 inch. I will hide the valet key inside the car as a backup to a lost FOB key because the TR47 cut key will not work in the ignition.. I think this is the solution to my headline starting thread "A tip that could save you $150 - $200."

17. Klaatu

Klaatu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Your locksmith is a knucklehead, I have personally cut the TR47 key and used it a number of times. Toyota has been using this key blank for years. I will acknowledge that TR47 keys are a pain to duplicate but after making a hundred copies over the last eight years I am pretty good at it. Fact - the TR47 blank works perfectly in my 2112 Prius C model c2.

18. Farfle

Farfle Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Umm, Klaatu, your original post mentioned to use TR27, not TR47. Phil told his locksmith about the TR27 that you mentioned, the locksmith laughed at him and recommended to use TR47. I assume you made a typo and meant TR47 all along?

19. Klaatu

Klaatu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Farfle,

You are correct I originally stated the blank was a T27, I omitted the R. The blank is a TR47. Sorry for the confusion.

20. Phil 29 Palms CA

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Klaatu for setting things correct. I think everyone is now on the same page, so to speak. Without your input I would not have solved my lost key problem. I now have 2 TR47 backup keys for my Prius C 2. I no longer have a fear of a lost key.