1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A way to keep ICE from turning on below 30F?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Jimbo69ny, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Guys,

I owned a Prius Plug in way back in 2012 when it was new. I kept it for 2 years and then went to a full EV. I am thinking of getting another 12-15’ for a second car.

However, my big annoyance with the car was that the ICE turned on at temps below 30ish. That is half of the year here in upstate NY.

Has anyone modified the car to keep the motor off? I know in the gen1 regular Prius there was a way to add a push button switch for EV only mode. I’m wondering if anyone has done something similar to keep the gas motor off at low temps.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does it happen if the cabin heater is off?

3. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s been years since I’ve owned a PiP but I think it turns on below 30 regardless of heater being on or off.

When my commute was only 6 miles and I could make it in ev mode but the gas motor turns on anyway I was getting super low MPG in the winter. It was so annoying. I might as well have been driving a truck. (Has motors are very inefficient when they are warming up)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In cold weather any further charge on a full battery may engage ICE. Besides not turning on the heater, try not to use the brakes very much until you’ve driven a mile or so. Consider turning on full headlights and the seat heater to drain off some of the full charge. All of the above will keep you in EV mode well down into the 20s F.

jerrymildred and Jimbo69ny like this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Probably NOT a good idea.
    The ICE comes on for a reason......and probably a good one, even if you can't figure out what it is.

Hasn't the PIP been replaced by the Prime ?
    If so, might want to ask those owners.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, no one has modified it.

however, i don't find 30 degrees to be an absolute cut off point. usually, a downhill stretch will kick the motor on with a full cold battery, but otherwise, i can drive at any temp on reasonably level ground at moderate accelleration and speed without starting the ice.

windshield defrost can be a bigger issue though, depending on my personal humidity, and if i'm singing while driving.
    best thing i've found is to drive the car a couple miles on flat ground around 30mph, then charge it back up, and the motor never kicks on after that.