1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A while back (DRL)

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by mikefocke, Mar 18, 2014.

1. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I saw posted a part number for a Southeast Distributor supplied kit to add DRLs to a 2013 v3. Went in the grill and replaced the 2 end pieces of the grill IIRC.

Weather has been dreary the last few weeks and I don't like having my running lights on to provide DRL equivalents because I have to remember to turn them on. So I stopped into my local dealer today and asked if they had ever put in such a part. The original part number escaped me so I just asked for the part by description and they said sure we have, let me look up the part. Back came the quote $640. About half parts ($308 from memory) and half 3 hours labor. The part number was 00016-47021.

I'm a bit old and busy and so will have to have someone else do it and it does come with warranty but $!$!$!$!$!

Parts and instructions are available here...parts ~$255. I've seen similar for half.

LED Daytime Running Lights - Black-Out Style at Sparks Toyota-Scion, Myrtle Beach, SC

Anyone have an equivalent kit or parts list with as good instructions?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    But I'm seeking to uncover if there is a different kit from someone where the kit is as complete in terms of an exact match of hardware kit to provided instructions. Or provides more functions.

On other vehicle brands, I've seen easier installs and much cheaper kits. Sure I know there are kits available, and posted instructions. But I'm seeking the same quality kit and the same quality instructions (or better) for less coin where the provider supports the whole package necessary for a successful installation.

I made the mistake of seeing the LED vertical grill lights on a late model high end Prius hatchback as I walked out of the dealers and am looking for other options for a v in terms of attractiveness and price but with the same low risk quality.

Does there exist a kit that provides both fog and DRL functions in LED for a car that started without them? I know Toyota offers both in separate kits that fit in the same grill opening. Priuschat offers the foglight version 0017-47650) but not the LED DRL version (0016-47021). But how about both functions in a single kit?

4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sylvania makes a ZEVO kit but I can't find specs./pricing, so I don't know if it fits...

SCH-R530M ?

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    On the CR-V, we drive the H1 fogs at 50% as DRLs using a Hamsar DRL module. The same approach could just as easily be taken with the v's H11 fog lamps.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can also modify H8 35w halogen bulbs and substitute them for the 55w H11 bulbs. You just need to shave or cut down one of the tabs on the bulb base to make it fit. Google H11 to H8 conversion. They look good, especially using yellow bulbs.

The Hamsar DRL module is also a great suggestion. They are available on eBay and could be used in addition to the H8 bulbs for 18w DRLs.

SCH-I535

7. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The fog light can only be turned on when the head light is on but the DRL can be on regardless (but some will dim when the head light is on). So you may have to do some modifications whether you want the bulb with 1 or 2 lights in it. You may want to look at my post below:

@@@ DYI: Add DRL to stock turn signal @@@ | PriusChat