1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AA chat

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Jan 16, 2023.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm Bob and still an alcoholic. A retired 73 year old engineer, I prefer to speak when there is new technology or techniques to share.

In 2019 at age 69, I bought a Tesla and paid extra fro Autopilot. I knew that as I grew older eyesight, hearing, and reaction times would weaken and I wanted computer assistance to extend my driving. Happily, Autopilot paid for itself two months later.

My wife and I left for a weekend visit but I forgot to pack my CPAP machine. I have sleep apnea and the CPAP machine ensures I get a good nights sleep, But the 3 day trip accidentally became 14 days, beyond CPAP skip window,

Driving home into the morning sun, I had 5 micro-sleep events of 15-20 seconds that Autopilot kept the car in the lane and not running off the road into the ditch or a power pole. Dynamic cruise control also kept the car at the set speed adjusting to any traffic getting too close. My narcoleptic wife told me about the first two and then I recognized the symptoms of the next three. But Autopilot is not Robotaxi.

Autopilot expects the driver to pay attention. If you ignore it for a minute or so, it will send warnings and eventually disengage, the equivalent of “Hold my beer. WATCH THIS!” Micro-sleeps are brief but intoxication lasts longer.

Two years later, my wife of 43 years passed away. So I often added an extra shot or on a hot day, a frozen margarita. Not an excuse, just what happened, Combined with undiagnosed, 'pink eye' led to a traffic stop and blowing a 0.10 where the legal limit is 0.08. That led to one of two DUIs and under probation, alcohol treatments.

Of the different probation directed classes and programs, Alcoholics Anonymous is the only program, a fellowship, I continue with after my DUI charges were dismissed. This posting is one of the AA steps.

3PriusMike likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my 75 year old partner can't stay awake at the wheel. fortunately, his wife insisted they start flying everywhere for long distances before they had a tragic event

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for sharing Bob. That couldn’t have been easy.
    I wish you all the best :)

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I appreciate the journey you are on Bob. And your willingness to share.

But you can get the same driver assist features without a Tesla. My first drive in any Rav4 outside a 2 block demo drive I drove 350 miles back home starting at 4 PM after driving up 350 miles to the delivering dealer's that day already.

I used Toyota's LKA/LDA/etc features the entire trip except for one comfort stop where I got off the highway. Any well marked road keep your hands on the wheel. Set your distance from the car ahead. All controlled by real buttons and not a touch screen in the middle of the dash. For this I paid $37.5k. Now probably about $43k.

I haven't driven as many miles in it as you have but I have never had a single problem with the features/options in all my interstate driving.

I don't use anything beyond lane departure alert in town and I don't need self parking, self passing. I use the mirrors and the overhead view where needed to assist in those maneuvers.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I bought in 2019 when there weren’t many choices other than Autopilot. My previous 2017 Prius Prime and 2014 BMW i3-REx pretty much offered just dynamic cruise control. The lane keeping in the Prime was under impressive.

I’m glad automated driving assistance systems are becoming more common. Just independent consistent specifications seem missing.

Bob Wilson

6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    This in '19 keeps you in any well marked lane above 35 MPH I think. I don't use it in town or during congestion.

I am amazed my wife's '21 Avalon hybrid with every option doesn't offer it.

I wish the features and options had to meet a common spec and were using the same nomenclature.

As I've said before, FSD naming is liable to be very costly at some point if you don't deliver on the promise.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Lane keeping works at any speed dynamic cruise control is engaged. The lower set limit is 18-19 mph but once engaged, it goes down to stop and back up in traffic. The rule is set dynamic cruise control first and if you get the 'steering wheel' icon, enable lane keeping. BTW, lane keeping initially requires left and right lines/curbs. But if the left line goes away, it keeps working using the right side line or curb.

Bob Wilson

DavidA likes this.