1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABG: Chevy Volt completes 1776-mile Freedom Drive in just 3 days; EVs can't match that

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by cwerdna, Jul 7, 2010.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I missed that part of the documentary Gilligan's island, so I looked it up. The radio wasn't made out of coconut, but they did power it with a battery made with a coconut shell and seawater. They apparently did not show what the anode or cathode were made from otherwise we might be powering the volt with these more environmentally friendly batteries. It does make more sense than the gm fuel cell plan.

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Wise words

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I kind of liked my version better. :cool:

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    C'mon people . . . cheer up & give GM a break! Sure, they've been back room double dealing in the past, but now the government owns GM so . . . um . . . never mind.

:rolleyes:

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    1 year later.

:bump:

As this publicity stunt gone bad fades from memory and all the hype dies down, the reality of sales is beginning to emerge.

The expensive plug-in that was delivered, which reverts to traditional vehicle efficiency after depletion, isn't taking the market by storm as it was hoped to. In fact, their own traditional compact is instead.

The public stock our government was hoping to sell back is still valued at less than what we paid for it. Accepting that loss would officially qualify it as a bailout... and without any competitive high-efficiency technology to show for it. Heavy dependence on taxpayer funding (credits) for the sales of Volt further stress that point.

Waiting and hoping for the best isn't exactly a sound plan. Showing patience works if there's something realistic to be delivered. But all is quiet now. No more 1776-miles drives. No more 230 MPG advertising campaigns. Even the spin about low sales has subsided.

What should we expect from GM now?

3 people like this.
  6. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Next they will have Sara Palin driving one with flag wrapped around her!
    :sick:

7. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Freedom Drive" or "Freedom Fries", I say: "Let them eat cake"

Well, the reason EVs can't match that is because it is plug-in hybrid, not an electric vehicle. I may have missed the fuel efficiency of the 1776-mile trip, but I would like to know!

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Normally, year-old bumps annoy me. But in this case, John's got a good point to bump this one. We all knew it was a stunt when they did it but looking back at it makes it clear what a joke it was. Just another example of the marketing machine that was in full force at the time.

9. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just read the whole thread. Its kind of interesting to see how so many of the assumed shortcomings turned out to be so much FUD, like underpowered sluggish performance in CS mode.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They never announced it. My guess is 41 MPG. EPA highway number is 40 MPG and the initial 35 miles on battery should bump it up by 1. :D

It was driven on Premium gas too. Ouch!

1 person likes this.
  11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think that was the reason they decided to connect the ICE and turn the wheels - can't have Prius faster than the Volt.

The parallel hybrid element enhanced the performance but they made a lot of supporters liars. Even the founder of gm-volt site sold the site and decided to quit shortly after.

GM Lied: Chevy Volt Is Not a True EV
    How GM "Lied" About The Electric Car

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Really? I didn't know this. Wow.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    June Sales Report (from our Japanese Friend); Volt; 561...Leaf (in a "photo" finish) comes in first at 1708. (insert news articles a few months back about slow Leaf deliveries that implied was due to lack of demand here)

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Knowing details of that past provided a clue of what to expect upon rollout, especially with the extreme denial we saw from die-hard enthusiasts when direct-drive info was leaked. It was quite obvious there would be downplay coming.

1,776 miles of driving a Volt, yet never revealing the very information many people were begging for, was a major clue things were starting to go wrong. Why in the world wouldn't they share MPG data?

Next came price... which horrified some and disenchanted others. It was a serious blow to a vehicle technology which had been hyped all along as a mainstream choice for consumers in late 2010.

Upon rollout, a major change came from a non-GM source. It was an abrupt shift in stance from the founder of that daily blog for Volt. He worked intensely for 4 years to establish a website to support the rollout effort, then suddenly became quiet. Strangeness in his reporting of real-world data was the first clue. Nothing reported during the blizzards at the end of the year where he lived added to the mystery. That was a golden opportunity to endorse Volt performance in hostile driving conditions. Instead, we didn't hear a peep. Then came the annoucement of the website being sold. Something was amiss.

Now all this time later, we know things aren't going as hoped. So, taking a look back at how GM & Volt got into this mess should help us better understand what is to come.

In the meantime, I'm scrambling to document every little detail of cordless Prius real-world data (including video) so I can share extensive comparison info later when I get my PHV. Don't expect my 11-year effort to abruptly come to an end. I plan on kicking gas for many years to come.

4 people like this.
  15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I no not recall reading that the forum owner ever admitted that he left over disappointment in the GM PR machine.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    He was given a Volt for a few months as part of Consumer Advisory Board. He sold his site right after that ended. This was also after details about ICE connection to the wheels was revealed. The last article he wrote was an interview with Volt tech guy (forgot exact title) that Voltec is optimized as much as possible and that no further improvements could be done.

He had his own Volt ordered. I don't think it was ever purchased because he was last quoted saying he has 3 childrens and a bigger Voltec MPV would be great.

17. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No, it was purely to improve fuel economy. And the engine can only contribute about 10-15% of it's power directly to the transmission.

The side effect is that the Volt is slightly faster when in CS mode - but really the difference is small and not noticeable until you're up to highway speeds.

With 110 kW (150hp) even with how heavy the Volt is, it really drives a LOT better than the Prius.

The Toyota HSD is both good and bad - great for efficiency but man, there is a lot of lag before the engine kicks in and when it does it's not smooth at all.

After driving the LEAF for nearly 800 miles it's such a different/better experience - and many argue that the Volt drives even better than the LEAF.

There's 3 things that makes the Volt a non-starter for me:

1. Price - I don't want to spend more than $30k after taxes for a car if I can help it.
    2. Room - back seat is seriously lacking in leg room.
    3. CS fuel economy - Need at least low 40s. Too many reports of the Volt only cracking 40 mpg when driven very carefully - needs to be high 30s typical worst case.

1 person likes this.
  18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am almost certain he bought a car. In any case, you are trying to connect dots, yes ?

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    so all this would be solved by him simply making a comment on whether he bought or not? hmmm, sorry but have to side with John. his silence most likely is from a non-disclosure from GM or his embarrassment, or his unwillingness to eat crow. i be thinking its probably a combo of all 3

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea, just stating what I know and trying to make sense. What makes you certain he bought a Volt?

Hype was at peak around this time last year. What a difference a year made!