1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

able to drive prius without key in dash-- and i don't have a smart key system!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fortheanimals, Dec 19, 2011.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    By default the Prius locks the fob in the slot. Powering off the car will release it.

There is a configurable option that disables this locking feature.

Tom

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I know in the dealer tech stream system that I have connected to a Panasonic laptop the heavy duty portable I bought this text stream from a going out of business dealer it goes through 2021 with all computer updates and everything on a file already on the machine there is an option to fool around with the remote in text stream I've tried to play with it a little bit but not much happening my car is an 09 came with the silver logoed remote I guess that's SKS I have the button that turns it off under the steering wheel or disables it temporarily while you're traveling whatever it's supposed to do when I put the fob in the slot push the start button and start the car doesn't start when I put the fob in the slot it just sits there I push the button and get the ready light then I'm ready to go it never beeps or does anything if I reach down while the cars running and pull on the fob smartly it comes right out there these little clips that are holding it in these little tabs that are spring loaded but it is not by any means locked I just pull it out and walk off I've pulled it out and walked off and apparently left the car on for hours and hours at a time apparently it just sits there the air conditioning or nothing's on so the car just sits there with the dash lit up ready for somebody to try and steal I guess I don't know but the car is not locked or anything so I don't know if it's supposed to lock when I walk away from it and turn itself off automatically seemingly that's a lot to ask I rarely use the keyless entry the car stays unlocked all the time it's always parked right outside a window or a door where I can see the car so I feel no need to lock it the only thing I leave the remote in the car all the time so I don't forget it on the nightstand or whatever then I have to get out of the car go back in the house it's a real pain I wish I could completely disable the key fob. So I could just leave it somewhere and never touch it again I would be a happy human but if it takes a bunch of hoopla not interested I just leave the remote in the car the remote staying in the car all the time seems to have something to do with my speedometer disappearing when I turn the button off underneath the dash underneath the steering wheel but the key back fall back in the slot try to start the car don't get a ready light or speedometer I pull the fob back out push the button out under the steering wheel try to start it again it's not successful I hit the button again and turn it off put the fob back in the slot hit the start button and almost all the time my display is back on hours days whatever that's why the guy in Texas says it's not my display because it keeps being able to be reset and coming back on he feels it's not the display I've had it apart and messed with it something to do with that remote it seems like

SM-A715F ?